TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 27, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Feud: Bette Davis and Joan Crawford: Archive through March 27, 2017 users admin

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 6:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Naja, I'm all set to record it. Should be interesting to watch after learning the back story.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 11:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I did notice Susan doing a bit of that stilted speaking Bette did, a few times. I just noticed because it really brought Bette back to me.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 2:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I've noticed that when we see Sarandon as Baby Jane, her words are often somewhat short and clipped and she sounds more like the real Bette, especially when she says words like "daddy".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqlUnNF-ipE

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 4:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I disagree Naja, a good actress should be able to manage Bette Davis' voice. Davis was well known for her voice and her eyes. Not necessarily like a Rich Little impression, but still capture the tone, rhythm and cadence. I just don't think sarandon has the talent to do it, I've always thought she was a limited actress. That being said, they have given her a Bette-ish look but so far I don't think she is very Bette. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to watching the other 2 episodes we have recorded.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 4:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
When Joan was talking to Bette about her step-father, I thought she was trying to justify the relationship. Didn't she say he was the only man who ever really loved her? It seemed to me that she'd spent her life being used by everyone, so she was clinging to that relationship as evidence that someone really had loved her once. It was shocking, but kind of sad.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 6:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
It is nice to see Allison Wright again. I really liked her as Martha on The Americans.

Abby7

07-17-2002

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 6:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
What I noticed re Susan Sarandon/Bette Davis voice..she would emphasise the last word in a sentence (to sound like Davis). She does go back and forth with her voice/Davis voice. Still, doesn't take away from her as an actress imo.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 8:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I'm wondering if Bette was known for sounding different in person than on screen and if that's why Susan is changing her voice that way

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I also have noticed that Susan seems to slip in and out of Bette's clipped speech pattern. I blame the director, ala Carrie Fisher's sometimes British accent in Star Wars. A good director should notice that kind of lapse in continuity. Or maybe he just gave up trying.

Panda

07-15-2005

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
I recorded "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" plus other movies starring the ladies. Thanks for letting us know it was coming on, Naja.

I noticed some of the speech pattern Susan was using, too but I do not care, I love watching her as Bette!

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 9:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Panda, I also recorded "Mildred Pierce" that was on before Baby Jane. I haven't seen it in a few years, and I really love that movie.

My fav Bette Davis movie is "All About Eve".

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 9:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I think Bette would be disgusted with sarandons' portrayal of her. The viewers may not mind, but Bette would be quite piqued, IMO.

Panda

07-15-2005

Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 6:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
The two other movies I recorded were "Mildred Pierce" and "All About Eve"!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 8:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I watched all about eve for the first time. Sarandon really does look like Bette.

Scout

01-19-2005

Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I just watched "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane", and still feel like the actresses on Feud are doing an amazing job portraying them. I know the speech pattern for Bette Davis isn't exactly right, but sometimes I think I have heard so many people imitating her - that i expect her to sound like that. And she really doesn't.

They were so right about Bette's daughter being awful. She was really really bad in the part. I can't imagine why they used her.

In Feud - on the final beach scene where the director was marveling at how young Bette Davis suddenly looked - he was so dead on. When she went to get ice cream just after her sister reveals the truth about the accident, her acting completely portrayed that sense of a burden lifted and she looked years and years younger.
I feel like that part of her is what Susan Sarandon has been able to capture the best.

The movie still holds up well as a thriller. Maybe a little campy now, but still some genuinely scary moments. When you watch the movie and know the truth about Blanche and the accident, it kind of validates the way Baby Jane actually felt and acted.

The only thing I hated about watching the movie again was I can't get that "I've Written a Letter to Daddy" song out of my head!

Panda - I love both those movies - i definitely think they were the ones that showed them at their best. And Naja - "All About Eve" is my favorite Bette Davis movie as well. She was so amazing and convincing in that part.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 1:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I think Bette would be disgusted with sarandons' portrayal of her. The viewers may not mind, but Bette would be quite piqued, IMO.

I think Bette would be thrilled that anybody even remembers who she was over 50 years later. I think Sarandon is doing a great job. If she worked too hard on the voice, it would come off as a caricature of Bette and that would be worse.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
... on the final beach scene where the director was marveling at how young Bette Davis suddenly looked

Scout, I don't think the director was talking about Bette looking younger, but Joan. Joan and Mamacita were apparently using some device on her to pull her skin back and lift the "sag" of her chin. They kept going into her dressing room to tighten it up, cause Joan wanted to look good for her closeups. That's why they had to re-shoot the final scenes, cause Joan looked "too good" for a person who was supposed to be dying.

Scout

01-19-2005

Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 2:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Babyjaxmom- He did say that about Joan, but he also commented about what an amazing actress Bette was when she was doing the dance scene on the beach and how much younger she seemed.

Panda

07-15-2005

Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
So I watched Baby Jane the other night and now I can see how good some of the reenacting scenes were! Good job by both ladies.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
FEUD: Bette and Joan‏Verified account @FeudFX · 2h2 hours ago
Epic stars throw epic shade. #FeudFX continues TONIGHT on @FXNetworks at 10pm.

Puttergirl

08-11-2000

Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 6:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puttergirl a private message Print Post    
that discussion earlier about Joan's daughter. There was a movie about Joan's children. She adopted them. I'm sure you you remember it... mommies dearest. Somebody asked about her daughters career. She had a role in a soap opera. When she got sick and was hospitalized, Joan replaced her which was hilarious since the Role was obviously for a much younger actress.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 9:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
That was "The Secret Storm" on CBS. Joan filled in for Christina for four episodes in October 1968 when she was 60 and Christina was 28. (!!!) This was all included in "Mommie Dearest" but what the film omitted was the name of the soap, which was on the air from 1954 to 1974.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 9:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I looked hard for actual video of Joan filling in for her daughter on the soap opera, but only the audio still exists :-(

BUT, here is an actual photo from the soap opera. Here is Joan filling in for her daughter to play a 24 year old character. OMG!

Photo from
http://www.welovesoaps.net/2008/11/flashback-joan-crawford-takes-daughters.html

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 11:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Those of you old enough to remember "What's My Line?" will appreciate this clip of Miss Davis appearing as the mystery guest to promote the release of the film, which had its world premiere on October 31, 1962 - this "What's My Line?" episode aired 12 days later.

http://tinyurl.com/ly7mfdx

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, March 27, 2017 - 11:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Didn't take the panel long to figure out who she was lol.

Poor Robert Aldrich. Thought he had it so bad with the women until Frank Sinatra came along. Guess that's why he ended up teaming with Bette Davis again pretty quickly after in "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte".

I wish the part of his assistant had been based on an actual character.

Love Mamacita!