TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 13, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Feud: Bette Davis and Joan Crawford: Archive through March 13, 2017 users admin

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 6:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I had to remind myself of who Lange was playing. I guess I'm just way to familiar with the real Joan Crawford. I did see Bette Davis in Sarandon's effort.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 10:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Loving this show. My only problem is that I NEVER watch scary movies, as I don't enjoy them, being a big chicken. So I am dreading them reenacting the Baby Jane stuff. But I'll hang in as long as I can. I find this biographical stuff fascinating.

Biloxibelle

12-21-2001

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biloxibelle a private message Print Post    
Mame, I not sure I would call WEHTBJ scary as I would suspenseful. I hope you will be able to watch it.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 1:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I had been under the impression for years that Bette Davis won the oscar for Baby jane, but I was wrong. (My "senior moments" seem to be coming more often lately. Yikes!)

Anyhow, I looked it up and found this article. It has some great tidbits on how that Academy Award Show went down. This article might be slightly spoiler-ish, but kind of, not really. It tells a real life story and it says this story will be represented in the "Feud" TV series.

Did 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane' Win Any Oscars?

LINK to www.bustle.com

Panda

07-15-2005

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 4:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
Well, I'm in!!!

And interesting tidbits in that Oscar article, Sanfran, thanks!

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 6:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
What a lineup of wonderful performances that year by the ladies. All stellar movies.

Abby7

07-17-2002

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 9:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
I was about 8 years old when when whtbj came out in theaters. This was the first and only movie my Mom took me to see (along with my older sisters). I remember being horrified with the bird scene, her "hanging" her sister, being scared for the maid.

As I got older, I came to love the movie....can laugh about it now. I know so much about the movie, have read all the books about JC, BD. As far as I know, true to life.

You can also check youtube: Bette Davis interviews re Joan Crawford. (She denies feud.....on camera).

Enjoyed first episode.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Marameko, the smoking (while disgusting) was so prevalent in that era. Almost everybody smoked, even in offices and HOSPITALS! I used to hate getting on an airplane that smelled like stale cigarette smoke. Nasty!

My dad smoked, my two older sisters smoked (I did too for a bit, cause I just thought that was part of being a grownup). My mom's three brothers all picked up the habit when they were in the service. They used to hand out cigarettes to the soldiers as a reward.

Cringeworthy, but true to life.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 11:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
My Mom recalls as a teen in the 50's her Mother came along with a school teacher to see her at a Catholic hospital following having her appendix removed. The Teacher lit up a cigarette, Mom's eyes got wide and she was told by the Teacher to not repeat that she smoked.
As a kid we lived across the street from the same teacher and on a hot summer evening the only way we knew she was on her porch when it was dark was by the glow of her cigarette.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 11:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Marameko, I laugh at the smoking when I watch the old Perry Mason shows....they light up cigarettes all the time whether it makes any sense or not to the story.

I always thought Bette got an Oscar too, off to read the article.

Abby7

07-17-2002

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 11:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
Commercial..back in the day:

https://youtu.be/gCMzjJjuxQI

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 4:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
FEUD: Bette and Joan‏Verified account @FeudFX 1m1 minute ago
More
We adore seeing our name in the papers. Catch up on the series premiere of #FeudFX on FXNOW. http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/feud

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Camels. Ugh. Almost as nasty as Lucky Strikes. I used to filch my dad's Terrytons. Those were some nasty cigarettes.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, March 10, 2017 - 7:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I noticed all the smoking too, I even looked it up to see if one of them died from lung cancer, they didn't.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, March 10, 2017 - 8:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I think Jessica Lange writes in her contracts that she gets to smoke. I have never seen her in a role where she doesnt smoke!! (Cape Code, Raising Isiah, all the AHS come to mind right now)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 3:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Going to run late again....check your schedules.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 7:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
All the tweets are making hate waiting for the show!

FEUD: Bette and Joan‏Verified account @FeudFX 4m4 minutes ago
More
Was a rebuttal really necessary, Joan? Then again, they don’t call it a feud for nothing. #FeudFX
You want a scoop, honey? Take a hike. #FeudFX
Darling viewers, how’s that old saying go? Oh yes, “shit just got real.” That’s it. #FeudFX
Let it out, Bette, let it out. #FeudFX

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 7:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
FEUD: Bette and Joan‏Verified account @FeudFX 8m8 minutes ago
More
Darling Hedda is about to see what Joan can accomplish with a few “compliments.” #FeudFX
Oh B.D. You do take after your mother, don’t you? #FeudFX

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
hahahaha, can't wait to see what this is about....FEUD: Bette and Joan Retweeted
Jesus Garcia Jr.‏ @JesusGarcia_90 42s43 seconds ago
More
That Bette, She'll do anything. #Feud @FeudFX

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 10:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Well that takes care of the little blonde girl, hahahahaha.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 10:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Holy cow what a brat for a daughter! Did she ever do anything as an actress? I don't even remember Bette having a daughter.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 11:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I had no idea until tonight that Bette's daughter, Barbara Merrill, played the part of the teen neighbor girl in "Baby Jane" after the flashy blonde was fired.

According to IMDB, this was her second - and last role in anything. So acting definitely did not become her career.

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, March 13, 2017 - 8:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Naja - I didn't know that, either.
Really loving this show. Both actresses are so good.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, March 13, 2017 - 10:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I'm loving the show, too, but one thing I'm not loving is how Lange and Sarandon have done so little to sound like Crawford and Davis, especially Sarandon. It's very distracting, but I guess if I can tolerate (barely) Cuba Gooding "portraying" O.J. Simpson, I can tolerate Sarandon sounding like Sarandon.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, March 13, 2017 - 12:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Holy cow what a brat for a daughter! Did she ever do anything as an actress?"

I didn't recognize her at first but in that one argument scene, I recognized her voice and it dawned on me - that was Sally, Don Draper's "brat for a daughter" on "Mad Men"!

Her name is Kiernan Shipka.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2215143/?ref_=tt_cl_t9

---
In the final couple of seasons of Mad Men I thought she'd be great in a Natalie Wood bio film. She looks a lot less like Natalie Wood in Feud than she did in Mad Men.