TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 09, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: This Is Us: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 09, 2017 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, February 24, 2017 - 8:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I drive with windows down and the sunroof open whenever possible.. maybe not all the way down, but sometimes.

And I'm not a man.

Yeah.. Trump is speaking during primetime, I gather.

So much joy with the music and performances and all the cousins..

I think Randall got carried away and it was a smack in the face that it was the last hurrah.. but it was a good one and it was a dream long held by Willam, to go back...

I didn't delete the ep.. will definitely watch it again.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, February 24, 2017 - 8:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I read two more episodes to go. Both in March.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, February 24, 2017 - 9:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I'm trying to get my hubby to watch this. I want him to experiece it with me!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, February 24, 2017 - 10:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Pamy, I know someone who tried 2-3 episodes and stopped and I just want her to go farher but.. it is frustrating.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 8:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Oh, gosh. Tears again.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 8:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Ooooooooh. One more episode and then months and months and months.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 12:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well now we kind of know what happens and why Kate feels responsible :-(

Of course she didn't make him drink... sad that it affected her so..

The FUNeral was awesome.

Also Randall finding out how many people were touched by William.

Glad the postcard arrived for Randall's wife.

So now Kevin has this amazing opportunity.. RON HOWARD.. but.. will he stay in NY?

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 3:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Well now we kind of know what happens and why Kate feels responsible :-("

That's what I thought as he drove away at the end, expecting to see drunk Jack in a car collision but the episode ended before anything happened...and then it occurred to me, haven't they faked us out before?

I can't remember what the event was, but they showed us a scene that looked like one thing but then it turned out to be something completely different...it was masterful misdirection.

Maybe I'm thinking of when it looked like Toby was dying at the end of an episode but the following week it turned out Toby was okay but the doctor died. Or maybe it was when Kate was heading to the cabin of that jerk who kept coming on to her at the weight reduction camp at the end of an episode (making it appear she was taking him up on his offer)...and the following week she just told him off.

I think I'm just afraid to take "cliffhangers" at face value on this show. I hope this week's episode isn't going to turn out like I think most of us expect it to.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 6:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Could be, but Kate urged him to drive to a performance, he did drink, then had the kids stay with friends, told Kate he was taking her advice (both to go out instead of staying home, and to drive to the tour stop)and there were beer cans in the car...

We do know he died.

But they could be fooling us, sure.

They did know early on that they were renewed for 2 more seasons, and could stretch things out.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 9:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
For me, the saddest scene of the night was when the neighbor brought in the pears and asked how William was doing.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 9:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
It can't be that easy. The writers are really good at springing surprises on us. So, maybe what they are showing in the previews is a misdirection.

Even if we know how he dies, I think there will still be flashbacks to how he lives. Also, how does the mom start dating Miguel?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yeah it could be more convoluted.. but we know he died when the kids were being played by the actors playing them as teenagers, we do know he dies, the writers had teased that Kate's issue was that she felt she was the cause of his death, and now she has said this to Toby. She was chunky as a little child but in the teen pictures she is way less chunky. Thinking you caused your beloved father to die.. and she was close to dad.. probably was a factor in her weight gain at some point.

We see that drinking is seen as a problem for him, we see his wife warning him that excessive drinking would be a deal breaker for her. We see him not drinking a lot.

Then after the band guy gets in that dig about "when we were together" he starts drinking again.

Last night, he was sitting at home, but Kate had told him not to sit at home and he decided to go to the bar with his office mates, where of course the flirty touchy female was.. he did fend her off but he did get a beer.

He wasn't walking real steady when he came out of the bar and called to see if the kids could stay the night where they were, then called Kate and said he took her advise (to go where his wife was singing.. well we don't for sure know that.

We just know he gets in the car and drives.

So if anything went wrong, Kate would think SHE told him to get out of the house, SHE told him to go to the singing gig AND she would think if she had stayed home, he wouldn't have gone out, wouldn't be drinking.

The rest in previews, indeed, sure, someone else could be drinking that same brand of beer and driving.

I don't feel as attached to Jack in recent episodes, but maybe I realize that he'll still be around in flashbacks anyway.

I hope William also will be around in flashbacks and will miss him more.

I'm a bit more worried about Kevin.. and his opportunity vs rekindling his relationship.

And I am sure in the future we will find out exactly how mom started dating Miguel, but I'm pretty sure he will "be there" for her after Jack dies and he's single and... there you go. And we already know the kids didn't take that too well, though in their thirties some are coming around.. Kevin at least.

Only one episode and then a gap.. ACK.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 12:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I had read some interview where the writers said we won't find out how Jack dies this season. Could be not true. Even if we find out how, there is so much more to their stories in the past.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I didn't even catch the previews! I went back to the TIVO and retrieved it.

It said "Every great love story has a beginning. Every love story reaches a crossroad."

My first thought: Dying isn't a "crossroad" in a relationship, it's the "end" of one. Next week may only be the beginning of the end.

I've even wondered if they were still together when he died. Maybe this trip is about them breaking up (the "crossroad") which causes a downward spiral with his drinking that eventually leads to his death...

Anyhow, I'll wait and see...I may be totally wrong but I'm expecting some kind of misdirection. I've learned not to assume this show is being straightforward...they've tricked me too often! :-)

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 2:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Does Mandy Moore play both the young and older (short haired) Rebecca?

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 4:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Yes. It's the same Miguel at both ages too.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I loved, loved, loved it when Randall told THE TEAM that he quit - very cathartic! And who knew pears can cause anaphylactic shock - very interesting. Worse, that bozo boss sending the pears KNOWING Randall was allergic. What a D-bag!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 5:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you Kookliebird.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I think there is a lot of William in Randall now, Uncle_ricky.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 6:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Oh, this was a tough one. I remember when we had my dad's funeral, how much it meant to me to hear all the stories of how he'd affected other people's lives. There was a man (a co-worker) who'd been separated from his wife in the early years of their marriage. My dad told him he needed to go home to her and he did. He credited my dad for encouraging him to save his marriage. It was so comforting to hear how much he'd meant to other people in his life. That's what the mailman made me think of.

I still can't believe Rebecca would leave her husband and her three teenagers to follow her dream. You gave up that dream when you had a family. I'm sorry. I just see her as selfish.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I hope Jack doesnt go catch Rebecca cheating on him with that band guy.

How cool was it to see Ron Howard!!??

Glad Rebecca told Randall why she didnt tell him, I think he forgives her

I have told my family not to have a funeral just do a fun party but now I will tell them to call it FUN eral!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 8:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
SanFran.. Yeah that crossroads thing.. I think it would almost hurt more if they split up but she did warn him that drinking could be that sort of problem.

I also agree with Babyjax and think Rebecca was being selfish.. dreams are great but you have three kids AND it wasn't like she was held back from singing but going on tour.. hmm.

My parents didn't want any funeral or celebration but we did get to hear from people what they meant to them, which was nice.

UncleRicky.. actually I think the evil pears being sent probably were sent by someone and the BOSS didn't even know or care what was sent. But yeah, what a slap in the face.

And it wasn't this huge company, even when I've worked in large groups we sure as heck would have written notes by hand in a CARD. And we tried to be culturally sensitive.. like when one of our young Vietnamese co-workers lost her baby we made sure that flowers would be appropriate and what color, since that differed from what it might be here.

And being a young couple, we collected money too. We were all crushed, after watching her and anticipating with her.

The pears were just crushingly insensitive. and then the printed card. WTH?

Mandy Moore said at first they had planned to have two actresses play Rebecca but they found it worked out to use her for both.

I am glad Randall did get some time with his dad.. and it wasn't easy.. as he watched his wife, his daughters, his BROTHER all bond and he kept trying to be the breadwinner but.

I'm missing William already and do hope for some flashbacks.. please?

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 12:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Sea & Pamy, I've been to a lot of funerals, and the ones that were the most uplifting were the ones they call a "Celebration of Life," rather than a funeral. I always think it's sad when someone requests no funeral. I've always found it such a comfort when people come together to remember someone and how much they meant to their friends and family. It's a comfort for the loved ones to see how many people share their loss.

I went to the funeral of a high school friend's mother about a year ago. His high school girlfriend and I attended together. The service was rather sad and cold (it was a very Catholic service), but afterwards the family requested that everyone join them at the Olive Garden for a family meal. They had reserved a private room at the restaurant and it was one of Stella's (my friend's mother) last wishes that she would treat everyone to a nice lunch at Olive Garden. It was so much fun laughing and catching up with everyone, sharing stories about Stella. I thought it was a great idea.

Oh, and when my dad died in 1988, I was working at a big company in the Bay Area. One of the departments that I worked with (not my department, but on the same floor as me) bought me a lovely card and everyone signed it. That really touched me that they would take the time to express their condolences to me that way. A small thing, but it meant a lot to me at the time.}

Strategist

07-01-2014

Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 4:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I loved, loved, loved it when Randall told THE TEAM that he quit - very cathartic!

That scene was one of my favorites. I was so happy that he explained why he quit directly to them. He deserved to be able to express his feelings directly to them.

I also was caught up by the mailman scene. It reminded me of a time when we dropped off a Christmas card for our neighbour and his wife. Little did we know that his wife had passed. We had addressed the card to both of them.

This show really connects with me and reminds me of certain really important times in my life. The writers are amazing.

I LOVE that so many of us love this show!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 9:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Where I work, the company will either send flowers or donate to whatever the 'in lieu of flowers' cause is. Additionally, we pass around cards for people to sign and send condolences. It's hard to know what to say on a card, but strength in numbers when everyone signs a card.

The hardest one for me was when I had to sign a condolence card for a Vietnamese lady who always seemed to know what to say on the condolence or, really, any card passed around for birthdays, etc. Her words were a wonderful mix of sorrow and warmth. She passed away from cancer and my words written on the condolence card to her family felt so inadequate compared to the prose that she would write at the drop of a hat.