TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 02, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: 2017 Academy Awards/Oscars: Archive through March 02, 2017 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 5:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I thought his mistake made the night 10x more fun and exciting. :-)

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 5:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
According to People, he was asked not to tweet during the Oscars, but did anyway. The guy is a partner at PWC. That's pretty high credentials.

http://www.pwc.com/us/en/pwc-and-the-oscars/journey-to-oscars.html

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/oscars/pwc-accountant-brian-cullinan-was-asked-not-to-tweet-during-oscars-his-job-%e2%80%98was-to-be-his-only-focus%e2%80%99/ar-AAnE1Ua?li=BBnb7Kz

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 6:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
This isn't his first time at the academy awards either.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 7:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I realize that many people are online while at work.. Boggles the mind and simply wasn't something that would fly when I was at work.. but this wasn't a ho hum day to day assignment.

I don't want anyone crucified but it certainly is highly embarrassing for that sort of firm.

Jimmer.. actually someone rear ended me and I wouldn't claim that I will never have an accident, but so far I've driven over 50 years and in one of the higher traffic areas.. but I could easily make a mistake tomorrow and I'd pay for it with a massive raise in my insurance rates and whatever damage was caused.. so hopefully I won't.. but certainly State Farm wouldn't shrug and say "oh well, shit happens".

And I don't tweet and drive, I have my cell off while I drive.

And the delay did take away from Moonlight in terms of time for them to celebrate and speak.. I gather since the show was going over, that once LaLaLand was announced, many people moved on. I was watching on my DVR and had anticipated it running long so I had recorded the next hour or so.. so I didn't miss it.

But then I'm not even close to being in their demographic

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 7:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
In whose demographic?

Congratulations on your perfect driving record.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 8:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I still think this is so much ado over nothing. He made a mistake. It was fixed. No real harm. Life goes on.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 11:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The demographic of people they want for ratings. I think 18-49? I read that this year's show was down in that age group. Actually I thought the show was better than most award shows in recent years. So they aren't as worried about me watching or what I think.

Kar, I guess that depends on what his employer things.

Jimmer, well I wouldn't say perfect.. just lucky. Lately on I5, especially, I really wonder when rather than if I'll get crushed. Luckily I don't have to drive it every day! So many huge trucks and crazy drivers..

Anyway, agree to disagree. It is a big deal in terms of a key and in the spotlight job for a company one expects to trust to do the job and for the company to have someone distracted while doing what should be a very clear cut job.

But in the scheme of things, no one was endangered or physically harmed.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 9:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
To quote Sharon Osbourne, 'Nobody died, got over it."

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 10:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I am over it, just not over the acceptance of incompetence.. or actually the seeming insistence that I must agree to shrug and walk away.. anyway, I am done with the topic.

Love Sharon, but she isn't my guide on what to think or accept.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 10:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
No one is insisting you agree to anything, Sea. It's called a discussion board and people have different opinions. :-)

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 10:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
It's JMO, but we are all incompetent occassionally... so that's why it's easy for me to let it go. Because I make mistakes too, sometimes big ones. You rectify them and move along.

I like the concept of grace, since I am in need of it so often myself. :-)

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
The harm/damage that was done was not giving Moonlight and its people their initial moment in the spotlight. That was forever lost in the pandemonium and confusion that ensued... The producer of LALA Land stating that Moonlight was the winner... no really Moonlight won... is hardly the same as the presenter calling their movie and all eyes and cameras are on them while they come to the stage...

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/oscars-producer-michael-de-luca-breaks-silence-backstage-chaos-was-like-hindenburg-981842

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
No it's not the same but it was memorable. A different kind of memory but memorable nonetheless. Plus I hope that they made the movie for more reasons than being announced the Best Picture winner.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 12:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Yep. I'm sad for Moonlight for not having that moment -- when the envelope is read. But the moment they did have will probably make this a remembered winner for longer than most years!

I do feel bad for the people that messed up. It seems like such a simple task. I would not like my fumbles at work to be broadcast to millions. We all make them. Some more visibly than others.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 12:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
Well that's true for sure!! I can't remember who won anything last year... I'm sure I'll have no problem remembering Moonlight.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Well, as I tell people who are getting married - things will go wrong. Someone will faint, someone will knock over the cake, you never know. But in the end, there's the bigger, more important thing to know... you are still married... and you will have great stories to laugh about later.

It's all a matter of perspective. You get to choose whether to be disappointed over something you can't change, or to see it as novel and amusing.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 3:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
Just heard a news report that the 2 accountants will not be returning to the awards show. It's a shame the other is being lumped in with the one who actually was responsible for the deed.. unless she was also tweeting, etc... The report further stated that the Academy is still reviewing their relationship with PWC.

Denisec1989

06-02-2007

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 7:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denisec1989 a private message Print Post    
Wasn't Steve Harvey given the correct card and still read the wrong name? Was he crucified like this? Wow! Everyone makes mistakes.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 7:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Yes Steve Harvey completely messed it up but he was given a second chance (and rightly so). They've been doing this show for 89 years and this was the first mistake. That's a pretty good track record. Fix it, apologize, take steps to ensure it doesn't happen again and move on. Dismissing them seems vindictive. IMO, dismissing them taints the show far more than temporarily announcing the wrong Best Picture winner. It turns what should be a fun event into something miserable.

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 8:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Additionally, there may be a difference due to the fact the PWC is hired and paid to make sure all votes are ACCURATE, therefore everything after that being accurate. Do I personally think it's a huge issue? No. However, I am not the Academy that is paying a company for services that they obviously fell through on providing.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 8:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I think the Oscars are a bigger deal than Miss Universe. Through the years it's been publicized and announced during the show that the accountants PWC make sure that vote count is accurate and no mistakes are made. In other words, they're professional. Not this year. Looks like a biggie mistake due to Brian Cullinan "playing" when his attention should have been fully on the job.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 9:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree it's a much bigger deal than Miss Universe. Plus the Oscars are very full of themselves. No lack of ego there. Anyway, no question that the accountants should have apologized (profusely) and explain what they will do to prevent this from ever happening again. I just think that not inviting them back is pretty harsh, especially since the mistake was caught quite quickly. If the show had gone off the air without the correction, that would have been another story. As it was, it generated lots of buzz and that is a big part of that business.

I've worked with a lot of accountants and auditors and they are human. Anyway, I see both viewpoints.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 9:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
As an accountant, who deals with audit firms on a regular basis, I think the Academy has every right to not have the 2 people who messed up not be at the next Oscars. There has to be some ramification for their misdeeds. And, the Academy has a right to have people handling the envelopes that they can trust to do the job. PWC will insert another partner into that role and life will go on.

Just an observation from the accounting ranks, no matter what anyone says, PWC's reputation as an impeccable audit firm (has been called the "Tiffany" of audit firms in the industry) has taken a hit by this event. PWC will do whatever the Academy wants to put this behind them.