TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 28, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: 2017 Academy Awards/Oscars: Archive through February 28, 2017 users admin

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, February 27, 2017 - 4:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I can't blame Faye either. She probably just saw La La Land and announced it. It wasn't there fault. When Warren was unsure, he should have called someone over. Faye thought he was doing a shtick. Whatever happened, the producer for La La Land handled it was a lot of grace. I was impressed by him.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, February 27, 2017 - 4:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
There was much more drama - of the juicy variety -- Dunaway didn't just blurt it out, she battled Beatty to get the last word:

http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/27/warren-beatty-faye-dunaway-best-picture-envelope-plan/

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Monday, February 27, 2017 - 4:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
Well, she got what she wanted. LOL

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, February 27, 2017 - 4:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Ouch!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, February 27, 2017 - 6:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Uncle Ricky, I just saw that on TMZ that was delicious!!! I love that version of events so much better!! On TMZ they played the clip with no suund so you could see her body language LMAO!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, February 27, 2017 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Delicious is right! No wonder she ran away as soon as the chaos erupted, leaving poor Beatty to fend for himself.

Many years ago, it was either 1979 or 1980, I was working in the advertising department at Los Angeles Magazine, which at the time was a very popular monthly magazine that regularly published issues that were over 400 pages - that era was definitely its most successful.

One of the reasons it was so successful was that it featured a major celebrity on the cover. When it came time for the editors to offer the cover to Ms. Dunaway, she readily accepted. All cover subjects were given the courtesy of looking over the photos and choosing the photo he/she liked best -- that is the photo that would appear on the cover.

Well, she liked NONE of the photos and demanded another session to come up with a new batch of photos. The editors explained to her that that would not possible; the agreement was "we take the photos, you choose the winner." She refused to budge and the editors then informed she would never appear on the cover (and she never did). It was nothing less than a nightmare for the editorial team.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, February 27, 2017 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Oh wow!!!! that story was the cherry on top!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 27, 2017 - 8:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well the body language was loud and clear.. I noticed her need to get that card and all and wasn't proud of her but of course at the time it wasn't out of the question that LaLaLand had won..

But she sure did disappear and left Warren holding the bag, or card.

And I wasn't so impressed by Miss Best Actress.. from implying that Warren was lying because she had the <only, she assumed> card with her win and then later she was enthusing about the actual win over the movie she was in. Now that is cool that she loved the other movie but it was much easier for her.. SHE didn't lose in her category. I just thought she was enjoying the spotlight a wee bit much in terms of other people and what happened to them.

It is a shame to have that snafu after a really well run show..

I loved that Jimmy had Guiellermo (never can spell it), his sidekick, there to help usher the tour people out the other side.

At least I kind of understand Warren finally just handing her the card .. seems she may have been a PITA all day.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Monday, February 27, 2017 - 9:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Jimmy Kimmel's monologue tonight was hysterical!!!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 27, 2017 - 11:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have JK set to record tonight...

Also read that the ratings were low in their desired age groups.. which I'm not anyway but I think it is the first one I've watched for awhile.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 7:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I heard 32 million, which sounds like a lot but is low for the Oscars. Not surprising though, as there weren't any big box office hits among the nominees.

I almost didn't bother watching but I'm glad that I did. It was one of the best!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 10:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Well, PriceWaterhouseCooper has publicly named the person responsible for the snafu. While I agree he messed up royally, I disagree with naming him publicly. Fire his behind and make sure no one wants to hire him but by naming him, he will now be the butt of jokes for the rest of life. I'm not okay with that.

Then again, he was tweeting live pics of Emma Stone when he made the mistake.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 11:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
As I understand it, PWC holds the ballots until it's handed to the presenter. It's a fail for the audit firm.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 11:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I keep going back and forth on this one. Yes it was a pretty big mistake. On the other hand, I don't think it should be something that destroys someone's life.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I am sure the guy feels bad enough, he gets a bad performance review, doesn't get to be in charge of the envelopes anymore, keeps his job and moves on.

As they say, NO ONE DIED, it is not that serious of a mistake and I doubt people will forget who won Best Picture, hahahaha.

I know I won't and I hadn't really heard of the movie before.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I hear you, Jimmer, but my dad was a CPA, and such an error doesn't make an accountant' s employers happy.

If the one who made the mistake was the one who was tweeting results.. it could be considered distracted while you job is to ensure accuracy. And there was a delay after they realized..

I was a computer programmer and of course mistakes happen but you test like crazy and if a mistake/bug goes live you also fix it asap.

Something I read this morning pointed out the ages of the presenters and that'S Dunaway wasn't wearing her glasses, thus she may have only seen the larger letters that said LaLaLand.

Happy, if they didn't give his name, the innocent person would be suspect.

Really, the tweeting on the job should get him fired.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 1:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
I'm sorry... but HOW does such a mistake happen??? You have but 1 job... hand the presenter the correct envelope. Pretty crappy to blame Faye Dunaway for not having her glasses on... she's up there... probably caught up in the moment and such. Don't blame either her or Warren at all. Sure, blame the older people!

Maybe if the person was paying closer attention to their duties and NOT tweeting this wouldn't have happened... take your job seriously for pete's sake!!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 2:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
People are human. They make mistakes. On something this important, they should have two people. One to pull the right envelope, the other to make sure it's the right one.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 2:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, they do have two people with one being on each side of the stage and each having a duplicate of the category. It just so happened that Beatty and Dunaway entered on the side where the person was preoccupied with tweeting pics of Emma Stone.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 3:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Human, sure, but if you are being paid to work, best to do that job. I assume tweeting was not in the job description.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 3:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
I completely believe in human error... but they had but 1 job... hand someone the correct envelope... their job should have had their full and complete attention... and it appears the person who handed out the envelope was NOT entirely focused on the task he was hired to perform.

Honestly I can't believe they let the duplicate envelope even exist once it has been announced/awarded... they should be standing next to a shredder, shredding the duplicate envelope as soon as the award is presented.

I'm not so sure why this peeves me so much... sort of reminds when Joan Rivers was having surgery and her doctor snapped pictures of her in the operating room... Focus on your job for pete's sake!!

Fortunately no one died here and it's pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things... and we'll probably all remember the 2017 Best Picture Winner/Loser even if we didn't watch. But seriously... Do your freakin' job.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 4:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I assume tweeting was not in the job description.

I'm not sure we can assume that. He obviously felt perfectly comfortable doing it (surely the company would know about it and normally it would be fun publicity for them) and these two people have been doing the Oscars for a number of years now without incident. Even though there is big money involved it's also supposed to be a fun event. It's not like he's holding the nuclear football.

It was just a mistake. People make mistakes fairly regularly. Ever have a car accident?

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
My guess is that the PWC gig at the Oscars was a 'plum' assignment. They would not have lower level associates handing out the envelopes. These would probably be senior PWC employees with a PWC Partner in charge of the group. They would have many years of auditing under their belt. Because it was a plum assignment, they may have gotten too lax in their procedures over the years... allowing tweeting and texting in between the categories because the show is so very long.

Having said that, they are paid by the Academy to tabulate and hand out the correct category results. This is what Accounting firms do. PWC did not do their job in the most important category. If I were the Academy, I'd request a partial refund from PWC since they did not perform their duties. I would also look for another accounting firm to take over next year.

Sunnyday

08-07-2014

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 5:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunnyday a private message Print Post    
PWC has been doing this for decades without any mishaps. I can't see one mistake undoing decades of flawless service, Lord know I've made mistakes on my jobs and thank goodness I wasn't crucified for them.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 5:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
Yes, in the grand scheme of life this was a very trivial mistake... but I see it as a sign of the times... people are becoming too lax and really don't care to see people be held to the expectations of performing a job correctly. All these people had to do was stand there and hand out the correct envelope 24 times... so he got it wrong 1 in 24 attempts.. well what if your postman delivered every 24 letter incorrectly... or your dentist filled the wrong tooth every 24 times... It would be completely unacceptable and the people it affected would be outraged. Is it too much to ask that these people are actually held to the bare minimum of their duties that night? I hope the Academy is outraged and PWC is given no leeway or excuses on this...

Kooklibird... You summed up my sentiments exactly. Thanks!!!

Just goes to show... doesn't matter how far up chain you may be... you can make a mammoth mistake... that could have/should have easily been avoided.

For the life of me I don't understand why this particular issue has gotten under my skin today. Right now I'm laughing at myself for being sooo nit-picky on this...