TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 26, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: 2017 Academy Awards/Oscars: Archive through February 26, 2017 users admin

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
We saw the 4 of the 9 Best Picture Nominees at the annual AMC Best Picture Showcase yesterday.

Manchester By The Sea. It was ok, rather predictable but not bad.

Fences. It was good. I found myself really observing and analyzing the acting of Viola Davis & Denzel Washington. Master class acting, hand them both the golden statues right now.

Hell or Highwater. Predictable but had more humor than I anticipated. It was well done. Chris Pine is pretty.

La La Land. What a disappointment! Heard it referred to as La La Lame which is quite accurate. Emma Stone is a clunky dancer with a mediocre voice, Ryan Gosling is a better dancer with a weak voice. Now I love me a musical, but this was a sorry excuse. Not a memorable tune, an anemic opening number and a flimsy story. I was especially exasperated by the phone call being received by Sebastian and not Mia There is no reason why he would have been called! Ridiculous. I am beyond flummoxed as to why both the movie and Emma Stone have received so many accolades and awards.

If La La Land wins Best Picture, I will lump it with other unworthy winners such as Crash, Argo, The Hurt Locker & Million Dollar Baby, The Departed & Gladiator.

Saw Lion a few weeks ago, nice to see Dev Patel nominated and the kid who played the character when he was young was stellar. Nicole Kidman's nomination is nuts.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 4:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks for starting this thread, Sugar. This should be a fun discussion.

I haven't seen it but I've heard so many positive things about La La Land that I was mildly surprised to hear you disliked it so much. Has anyone else here seen it?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 4:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I didn't really care for it either, to be honest. I was surprised since it received such rave reviews and so many nominations.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 4:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I was also surprised. It is simply lacking pretty much everything that makes musicals great.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 7:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
What do you mean by Nicole Kidman nomination is nuts?

Was her acting really bad? Or did you mean nuts in a good way?

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 8:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Yes, my best friends mother didn't like LaLa Land either. I guess this is the first time I haven't seen any of the movies.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 8:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I've seen Hell or High Water and Arrival, and liked them both. I think I liked Hell or High Water a little more. I will be seeing Lion this week, so that will be three I will have seen by the time the Oscar's are on.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 10:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Re Nicole Kidman nomination. I just don't think the performance or the role was Oscar worthy. She did a fine enough job. I think I would have rather seen Tyne Daly nominated for Hello My Name Is Doris.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, February 20, 2017 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Sugar.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, February 20, 2017 - 12:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I've seen Arrival, Hidden Figures and Hell or High Water. All three were excellent.

I would still like to see Moonlight, Fences and Lion but I'll skip La La Land. The trailers gave me no interest in it at all.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, February 20, 2017 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The only one I've seen is Arrival. It was very clever and I enjoyed it. Definitely a thinking person's science fiction movie.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, February 20, 2017 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
A friend has described that silly movie musical as Blah Blah Bland which amused me greatly.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, February 20, 2017 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I have seen all 9 and none of them are a standout favorite to me. I'm not sure why.

Hidden Figures -- easily the most accessible of all of the films. Good for all ages. Really enjoyable.

Lion -- just a beautiful, heartbreaking story.

Manchester by the Sea -- I loved this movie. It's small and raw and was not predicitable or manipulative IMO. Certain scenes were so personal for me. And the humor surprised me. I'd love to see Affleck win the Oscar but I doubt it will happen.

Moonlight -- reminds us that film is a visual medium. So much to look at, parts with no dialogue. It's a quiet film. Very quiet, like falling asleep quiet. Still there are scenes and images that haunt my memory. I'd love to see Mahershala Ali win the Oscar for supporting performance.

Fences -- based on a play so it feels like a play. IT's all dialogue and Viola is one of the finest actresses working. Impressive performances.

Hell or High Water -- it's mildly entertaining mostly because of Jeff Bridges, but I can't say I think it's deserves the nomination.

Arrival -- One of the more mainstream accessible films of this years bunch. Definitely held my interest and makes you think. Good solid film.

Hacksaw Ridge -- other of the more mainstream films. It's very good. The story is inspiring. The war violence in this film is very graphic, so be warned. Watching it is a brutal experience for nearly half the film.

La La Land -- it's getting so much hype that people are bound to be disappointed. It's just a small indie film. Simple and joyful and whimsical. I enjoyed it on that level. My friend and I decided it's a "sweet" film. nothing earth shattering.

I'm really hoping awards are spread out this year and one film doesn't dominate or sweep. None of them stand out enough for me to want that.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, February 20, 2017 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Onto the acting categories...

I have seen all of the supporting men and women films. Wow, the men's category is tough. Excellent performances all around. Nocturnal Animals is an odd film. Not sure Bridges should be supporting. And the same for Viola Davis. I didn't see that as a supporting role, but a lead. And because of that, she'll be nearly impossible to beat I think.

For acting, I have not seen Viggo's performance. Not sure I will see the film although it is on Demand so possible to.

For the women lead roles, it seems they are always very obscure and hard to find films. I have not seen 4 of them! Two are On Demand. One is playing at one art house theater, and Elle is no where to be found in my town. I think Elle looks like the most interesting film of the bunch. I would like to see JAckie because I love Natalie Portman.

For Animation, Kubo and the Two Strings in on Demand and I hope to watch that soon. But I'm pulling for Zootopia.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 3:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
We saw the remaining 5 Best Picture nominees yesterday.

Moonlight. I was disappointed, I had expected more with all the hype surrounding this film. I thought is skimmed the surface vs being layered. It is not a happy tale.

Lion. We had already seen this one and think it is among the best that last year offered.

Hacksaw Ridge. Pretty much what you would expect it to be, no surprises. The war scenes were horrific & gory as war is both of those things. I don't care for war setting films in general but it was ok. My husband didn't particularly care for it.

Arrival. I found it a bit plodding. My husband really liked it. The film lead to a big discussion on physics, science, science fiction and The Big Bang Theory when we got home. It is not normally anything I would watch again, however, parts if it were hard to hear so I wonder if I missed something. BTW, my husband knows a lot more about physics and science than I do but this lady can certainly hold her own re The Big Bang Theory still my favorite tv comedy.

Hidden Figures. I found this film to be the most enjoyable. It was interesting and had nice bits of humor. I do enjoy watching Octavia Spencer.

Overall, I think the best movies were Fences, Lion, Manchester By the Sea, and Hidden Figures. I will be disappointed if La La Land and Emma Stone were to win their categories.

I didn't see very many movies last year, however, my favorite is a contender for Best Foreign Language Film and Best Makeup, A Man Called Ove.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 5:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
This is the first year I have not seen all of the nominated films.

But we did see:

Hacksaw Ridge - liked it
Hell or High Water - I was bored
Manchester by the Sea - So sad and I loved it.
Arrival - This was really good. Denis Villeneuve is from Montreal like me.
Hidden Figures - Loved it

I missed Moonlight, Fences and Lion, but will be seeing all three this week. They are no longer in the theaters here.

LaLa Land - I am going to go against the grain here. I loved this movie and would watch it over and over again.

Very happy that A Man Called Ove was nominated. It opened here this weekend and will be seeing it this week. But sorry Queen of Katwe was not nominated.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 5:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
I entered a local contest to win movie tickets and here are my Oscar picks. The 100 persons who get the most right wins.

Here are my picks.

Best Movie
La La Land

Best Actor
Denzel Washington -- Fences

Best Actress
Emma Stone -- La La Land

Best Supporting Actor
Mahershala Ali -- Moonlight

Best Supporting Actress
Viola Davis -- Fences

Best Director
Damien Chazelle -- La La Land

Best Original Screenplay
La La Land

Best Adapted Screenplay
Fences

Best Cinematography
La La Land

Best Film Editing
La La Land

Best Original Music
La La Land

Best Original Song
La La Land - "City of Stars"

Best Art Design
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Best Costume Design
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Best Makeup
A Man Called Ove (En man som heter Ove)

Best Sound Mixing
La La Land

Best Sound Effects
Arrival

Best Visual Effects
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Best Documentary
I Am Not Your Negro

Best Animated Movie
Zootopia

Best Foreign Film
A Man Called Ove (En man som heter Ove)

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 5:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I am not rooting for Emma Stone either. Nice performance in a lovely little film, but Oscar worthy? I don't think so. She does look fabulous though! Really cute and fancy dress.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 6:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
My girls and I often binge watch old musicals and I consider it a proud mother achievement that that all had crushes on Howard Keel at one point or another. Lol So I was so thrilled about Lala Land's release. Maybe too excited because I had to work at just finishing it. Dull, boring. Maybe it was too much anticipation.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 6:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
Like JT but not a great start.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 6:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
Ok so it got much better

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 6:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Loved JT and the opening! I actually LOL during Jimmy Kimmel's monologue

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 6:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Oscars 2017 -

I can't get past Justin Timberlake's ego but the crowd obviously enjoyed him and that's what's important.

Kimmel had a Lackluster opening.

Mahershala Ali takes supporting actor. All of the nominees in this category were deserving but so happy to see him win!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 7:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
And immigrants (Italians) won for make up! Yay!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I was hoping for a Dev Patel win for Best Supporting Actor.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Dang it, Dev Patel did not receive the Best Supporting Actor Oscar.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 7:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Someone got too close to the girl singing the song from "Moana". Brushed her head/hair somewhat.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 7:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I loved JT''s opening! I didn't see ego.
I also thought the monologue was funny..
I think the girl had a wind machine blowing her hair, heckagirl.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
No Tex, Hecka saw correctly, one of the sails clipped her in the head. Lol reacted like a real pro though, barely a response, lol

I was rooting for Dev as well but I love Mahershala so still happy.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 7:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Texannie - It's strictly my issue with Timberlake -no one else's, lol.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 7:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Yeah, Viola Davis!
This category had a few good contenders, good work from Michelle Williams & Octavia Spencer.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 7:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
LOL Kappy!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 8:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I loved seeing Shirley MaClaine and Charlize Theron present together.

How sad that nominees in the foreign language category had to even think about whether to show up or not.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Yes, Sugar - another strong showing in supporting actress.

Can I just say that the NY Times ad during the show was so on point.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 8:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
OMG - Loved the tour bus people - What a cool story for them to tell when they get home!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 8:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
The tour group bit was amusing.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 8:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Ditto Kappy!

I really like how Jimmy is brring fun to the Oscars. I am sure he will get blasted for being silly at 'such a serious ocasion' but somet times all these actors take themselves so seriously.
I work with doctors saving lives who take themselves less seriously! LOL

Loved the tourists.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 8:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
It appears Sugar, Kappy and I are the only ones watching!!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 8:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Yes Texannie, what's up with that? Where is everybody?

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 8:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
"Movies are a universal language. It's magic"

I loved the sentiments expressed by movie lovers from all over the globe. Well done!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 8:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I love movies. You notice I was the last one to post on this thread last year, lol. Glad you two are here!

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 8:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
There is another thread under "movies" too..but you all are keeping it going over here. :-)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 8:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Not watching but I am enjoying your commentary, LOL

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 8:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
Would have liked to see Life, Animated,13th or I am not your negro win for featured documentary.

Loved Piper ..if you missed it at the opening of a film,(can't remember which) watch it...deserved best short animation.

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
I am enjoying the show although I haven't seen any of the movies. I think Jimmie is doing a good job. I thought the tour bus segment was fun and wonderful for the tourists. The stars were good sports. I thought Justin T looked like a fool or had no sense of humor after he got through singing.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 8:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Loved the interviews from all the people around the world.

I

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 8:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I do too. I wanted to be an actress once upon a time, majored in Theatre at uni.
I didn't see very many movies this past year. I thought
Lion, Fences, Manchester By The Sea
and Hidden Figures were all good. I enjoyed Hidden Figures the most. I did not care for Moonlight and was surprised, I knew it was not a peppy upbeat story but I thought it would be more interesting and layered and felt it rather skimmed the surface.

I think previous years have had better films nominated. By that I recall times when I thought several of the films nominated were worthy of the big prize. Not so much this year.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 9:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I miss the caption boxes that they use to put at the bottom of the screen so if I wasn't paying attention, it would show the category and the name of that total stranger accepting the award.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 9:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
#garyfromchicago is now trending on twitter!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 9:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Lol, Gary from Chicago never once lowered his phone.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 9:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
The ad for Rolex watches was so appropriate with clips from all the movies showing characters wearing them I actually thought it was part of the show at first.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 9:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
The Rolex commercials are great. I was dying laughing at the music being played over Matt Damon!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 9:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Jimmy has been brutal to Matt tonight!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 9:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Ah shucks. I really wanted Denzel to win. Oh well.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 9:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
So happy with Casey Affleck's win, loved him in this film.

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 10:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
Is Casey related to Ben?

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 10:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Before I even hear which movie won, I just want to say that I still do not want to see LA La Land, lol.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 10:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Yes, Lazy, they are brothers .

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 10:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
O M G !!!!!!!!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 10:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
OMG

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 10:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
Thank you

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 10:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Wow - this is even worse then Steve Harvey. You could almost tell that Warren Beatty couldn't read it.

Now they're acting like it was the wrong envelope. Someone is losing a job tonight, lol.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 10:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
OMG
OMG
OMG