TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 26, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Academy Awards 2016 : Archive through February 26, 2017 users admin

Holly

07-21-2001

Monday, February 29, 2016 - 8:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
"Lady gaga definitely is winning new fans.."

Well she lost this fan over that God-awful, lizard lounge like "tribute" she gave David Bowie. He deserved SO much better than that horror show she put on. It was beyond cringe worthy. And was much more about attention seeking Gaga than the inimitable, talented and classy Mr. Bowie. Really, when did he EVER grab his crotch?

Holly

07-21-2001

Monday, February 29, 2016 - 8:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Last night's show was the most boring I've ever watched in 30+ years. Chris Rock was disingenuous (using Asian kids?!?) in his bitching about racism. Gimme a break! The funniest part, imo, was Sacha Baron Cohen coming back as Ali G.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Monday, February 29, 2016 - 9:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Chris Rock took too much time with the racism nonsense that after 3 hours my pvr ran out of time and missed the speech by Leonardo di Caprio, but then I saw it online and it will be repeated again on the et shows.

Fashion was beautiful and will see it again on Fashion Police tonight.

The awards were blah... since I did not favour any performance or movies. The Ennio Morricone special recognition was nice to see after so many years of composing beautiful scores for Hollywood.

Holly

07-21-2001

Monday, February 29, 2016 - 9:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Just read it hit an 8-year all-time ratings low last night.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, February 29, 2016 - 10:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I am so happy Leo finally got his Oscar. He should have gotten one years ago for 'Gilbert Grape. If you haven't seen it, you should if you're a Leo fan.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, February 29, 2016 - 12:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I just read online that Brie is the youngest Best Actress winner... 26 years, 150 days. I think I first saw her in the 21 Jump Street movie. She's done well!

Rieann, I don't think that's true. Wasn't Jennifer Lawrence only 23 when she won hers?

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, February 29, 2016 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Dipo, to add to the description that Rieann provided earlier, the basic plot of "Carol" concerns a high-society woman (Cate Blanchett) who becomes obsessed with a young woman (Rooney Mara) she meets while shopping in a Manhattan department store circa the 1950s. I read it myself and it was quite excellent - I have to wait for the home video release to see the film version.

It's based on The Price of Salt, one of Patricia Highsmith's earliest novels (she also wrote The Talented Mr. Ripley and its sequels). When The Price of Salt was originally published, the author listed was Claire Morgan, which was the nom-de-plume Highsmith used because of the lesbianism that was at the center of the story. It was later re-published with Highsmith's name after she became famous from the Ripley books.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, February 29, 2016 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks Uncle ricky, I was just surprised that I hadn't heard anything about it, usually I know what movies are playing, LOL, but I don't recall seeing any advertisements about Carol.

Sounds very interesting, I will look for the book at the library.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, February 29, 2016 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Wiki says Marlee Matlin was the youngest to win best actress at the age of 21 for "Children of a Lesser God".

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, February 29, 2016 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Naja and BJM. Both actresses were much younger. Oops!

Thanks for the info on Carol, Uncle Ricky. I didn't know it was based on a Highsmith novel.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, February 29, 2016 - 3:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
OG, while I'm not a Leo fan by any stretch, What's eating Gilbert Grape is one of my all time fave movies. :-) He was AMAZING in that!

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Monday, February 29, 2016 - 4:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
Yes, Marlee Matlin was youngest so far.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Monday, February 29, 2016 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Mame-I'm with you...not a Leo fan.

Other actors are so talented that you can forget it is them playing a part. With DiCaprio, it seems to me it's always him "playing" a role, he never seems to "submerge", for me.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, February 29, 2016 - 4:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I'm "with you" on Leo. Now, Steve Carrell in The Big Short, he was that person. I had to look hard to see Steve Carrell.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, February 29, 2016 - 4:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
The Revenant was the first movie that Leo seemed like an adult to me.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, February 29, 2016 - 7:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Abe Vigoda's family is not pleased that he was not included in the memoriam portion last night. The academy says they included him in the online album so that was enough.

I found the music they used to try to rush people off the stage to be off putting. Whoever directed last nights Oscars should never ever be brought back!