TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 22, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: PBS Shows - General: Archive through August 22, 2016 users admin

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Anyone watch Land Girls? I just started the series on Netflix. It hasn't grabbed me the way Call the Midwife did but it's pretty good so far.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 6:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I really enjoyed Land Girls. Have you seen Bomb Girls? Not PBS but a good show in the same vein but Canadian.

I've got that in the PVR Irsnappy.

I'm waiting for the new season of Last Tango in Halifax. And I wonder if they are going to air Happy Valley.

Scout

01-19-2005

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 9:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I've never seen Bomb Girls. What network is it on?

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 9:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
it was on Global, I can't remember what station I saw it reairing on.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 7:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Land Girlswasn't bad.
I am so going to miss Vicious.

I though Happy Valley was really good. Much better than The Killing or Top Of The Lake.. I am looking forward to series 3.}

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
I also liked Land Girls and thought the series was too short.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 7:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I just saw another Frontline episode and this one dealt with the situation in Saudi Arabia. Gutsy filming to say the least, done undercover, but incredibly sad to see that on this day and age we still have on earth such tribal societies and some stupid reasons for hating each other.

More than what life is about in Saudi Arabia I was curious to see if the producers of the show had a point to make (like they usually do) that in spite of all the atrocities of that regime the West continues to make deals with them... but of course none of that on this Frontline episode. That was disappointing.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 4:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Do you guys remember Koko, the gorilla who does sign language and has kittens as pets? It's been a super long time she has had a tv special, but there is finally a new special about her on Wednesday night, August 3.

I go to her website now and then to see if there's any news about her.
http://www.koko.org/

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 6:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Awwww, I was thinking about her during that story about the little boy who fell into the gorilla exhibit and they killed the gorilla. I'm going to try and remember to watch Wednesday evening. :-)

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Seems I remember her as a little girl, gorillas must have a long life.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 7:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Koko was born, July 4, 1971. She was introduced to the public with her first documentary in 1978. She became super popular in the 1980s.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 7:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I looked up life span of gorilla its 35-40,so she is old.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 7:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
She's old, but zoo gorillas live longer than that. Zoo gorillas live 10-20 years longer than gorillas in the wild.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I spent a whole afternoon this past winter just watching all the videos on Koko's youtube channel. I think my favorites are when she met Robin Williams, and when she was picking out a new kitten from a whole litter.

Koko's youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/kokoflix/videos

Spunky

10-07-2001

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
How did I miss this incredible series on PBS, well, I don't know if KSPS is also public tv but they have great documentaries, but while scrolling the channels I saw last Sunday, first aired in 2015 and didn't notice it, these 3 part series titled Ancient Roads/Christ/Constantine, next Sunday is the 3rd and last part. Although I saw many similar recounts of that history, this one was so well edited and told in very simple terminology and with the various locations that came to life while the narrator was telling the story.

Of course, the history precedes the Islamic birth, and all the time I was telling myself... what, they already had so much trouble with the Romans and the Christians and Jews that if they knew centuries later they were going to have another terrible enemy I wanted to tell them... stop, stop the madness.. We are paying for all your mess, 2000 years later, that nowadays we are paying for exactly that part of history I really wanted to freeze time, to stop the madness, to stop what was going to come. It was so clear that those events were going to have terrible consequences, but that 2000 years later we still feel the effects, it's mind boggling.

It really helps to understand the evolution of one simple case of an extraordinary man and his thoughts and what the Apostles made of those thoughts and why it was Rome who ended up leading the Christian religion.

I can't wait to see part 3 next Sunday, but still it will give me a desire to revert the whole history and think how we would be today if those events did not happen. Or, I am okay that they did happen 2000 years ago but not that to this day we are still seeing fights over religions.

If only I could re-write history... dream on.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 5:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Excellent, the last 2 parts just excellent work!

If someone wants to learn how Christianity flourished only needs to see this well made documentary. The final point the narrator made was also excellent, it was thanks to Constantine that Christianity was saved, it could have remained a small cult but for Constantine.

However, the riches bestowed by the Roman emperor on the Christian religion and the construction of many many churches and cathedrals made it all powerful... but with power comes corruption unfortunately and the dark ages that followed the end of the Roman Empire saw some very awful erors, the head of Christianity so far away from the true message of Jesus, it's no wonder that it split up in various different branches.
I've always wondered if Jesus would have been happy with what they made of his thoughts and how it deviated from what he was telling us.

While watching I still wanted to freeze time, however, now that I know what happened later... again, I would love to be able to erase history and choose a different destiny for humans (a bit like the song Imagine).

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 10:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Ancient Roads From Christ to Constantine is not airing on either of the PBS stations in the Chicago area.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 7:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Crap, I forgot the Koko show was going to be on last night! Darnit.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Friday, August 05, 2016 - 2:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Thank you for the link, Colordeagua.

I'm a bit confused about PBS stations, this one was on KSPS (an American channel), which is public television without the commercials and I always thought it was PBS.

It would be nice to see again a documentary, still by PBS, I saw years ago where they explained so well how the Moors lost Spain after conquering it and lasting about 800 years. It explains a lot the current divisions among the Muslims. It was thanks to that documentary that it finally dawned on me what the heck happened.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, August 05, 2016 - 8:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Spunky, yes, I'd like to see that documentary re Moors losing Spain. It's not like I've seen the world, but for me the most beautiful building is La Alhambra en Granada, Espana. It is beautiful today. What it must have like when built?! There's a mystery about it. I was there in '69 and '71. Will I see it again?

Is this it? Link

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Friday, August 05, 2016 - 11:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Dipo, I watched the doc on KoKo and just loved it. I just love almost anything about animals and this was a pretty good one. I think its going to be airing again, here is the site and maybe they show the whole episode there, not quite sure. Def a good one.

pbs.org/program/koko-gorilla-who-talks/

Spunky

10-07-2001

Monday, August 08, 2016 - 9:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Colordeagua (watercolour, right?) that's the link I was hoping to find, thank you. I'm sure I can find the dvd at my library, would love to see it again. One more trip I'd like to take is exactly Southern Spain and especially Granada. I only saw Barcelona and Majorca. Let's hope we can make that trip !!!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, August 08, 2016 - 10:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Spunky, si. Hace cincuenta anos que estudie el espaƱol en escuela secundaria para cuatro anos.

Any corrections?

First trip to Spain in '69 also saw Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Alicante, Malaga, Granada, Valencia, Sevilla, Cordoba, Madrid, Lisbon. Maybe one or two more? So many years ago.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, August 15, 2016 - 3:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I had enjoyed Dancing On The Edge until the last episode with the interview. It was very disjointed and odd in my opinion.

Sunnyday

08-07-2014

Monday, August 22, 2016 - 11:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunnyday a private message Print Post    
I have to share my sorrow with someone. I just watched the final show of the final season of inspector Lewis. He has been in my life for twenty years Starting with Inspector Morse. It is like losing an old friend.