TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 12, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Walking Dead: Fear the Walking Dead TV Show Discussions: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 12, 2016 users admin

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 5:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Everyone's making a big deal of it (Talking Dead) but I don't know how surprising it is. People are dying because there is no known medication that kills the infection is creates, but like something like ebola (before they found the possible cures), some people still can live through it through random luck. And a pharmacist who's used to doing makeshift cures (thinking outside the box) and with all the pharmacy available to him would have a better chance than someone who got bitten then went to the hospital, waited for hours, and then was given conventional medicine.

And perhaps the earlier virus (given how much it healed I assume he was bitten very early on) wasn't as virulent as the later ones, which might have evolved somewhat. We see that the walkers are not as gnarly looking as the TWD ones, so even the amount of virus in the bite might be less.

And some people will be immune to the virus. Or we don't know how it was created, perhaps it's very similar to a more common virus, and those who had that are somehow immune or have less severe symptoms. Like there is with different types of poxes.

It looks like a really bad bite though, they've taken out a big chunk of skin, so I don't know if a human would do that. I still think it's odd they get through skin so easily, I've never tried it , but human flesh doesn't feel that easy to break the surface. (And now I've tried biting my hand and it really hurts, but did not break the skin!)

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 7:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
maybe we will find out the west coast has a cure and the poor people on the Left coast are sol LOL

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 9:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
lol Kitt thanks for the R&D!

I saw that preview as well SFJ and if the guy was on something nasty, I think the pharmacist said it was something potent, perhaps he could have become like a rabid dog in the midst of the melee and been the biter. But if there were that many how did he get out, and with only one bite.

I don't compare the shows either. The first season I was on the fence and was comparing. But my second viewing of season 1 changed my opinions and feelings entirely.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 12:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"It looks like a really bad bite though, they've taken out a big chunk of skin, so I don't know if a human would do that."

But walkers are basically just human beings who didn't stay dead and then developed a big appetite for living flesh, right? And we know they aren't nearly as strong as living humans. I would think that if a walker can take a bite out of a human like that, a much stronger living person could, too!

"We see that the walkers are not as gnarly looking as the TWD ones"

I thought that was because most of the "roaming around walkers" on TWD have been dead a lot longer when TWD show started. In ep 1, there were a lot of walkers that were pretty durn rotten, but most of then had been that way for at least 6 or so weeks...and now TWD is a couple of years later than the FTWD timeline.

Once on TD someone raised a question about how the virus worked and why walker blood and guts and brains being splattered into a human's eyes and mouth (or something like that) didn't turn them, but an actual bite would. The producer (or maybe it was Kirkman himself) just kind of dismissed the question as if the way the virus worked just wasn't a detail they're concerned about because the show was about the characters trying to deal with it.

I guess ultimately, I just don't want the pharmacist to be immune! I'm afraid if there are immune people, the show could spend a lot of time on scientists trying to find a cure and that would change the whole feel of the show.

In fact, in season 1 of TWD when the group finally made it to the CDC, I was so disappointed because it looked like they might stay holed up in that compound trying to synthesize a cure for a long time. I've seen way too many bad zombie movies with that theme. I was so happy to see the CDC explode!

The way this world is set up, it's a desperate, place and we see people we learn to care about trying to survive in what is basically a hopeless situation. If there was suddenly a tangible hope of an actual cure, I think it would hurt the show. I'm reminded of "The Last Ship". The first season or two of that was really interesting with something like 80% of the population dying and governments had crumbled and there was one last ship doing what they could. But now in the third season they have a cure, and the show is more about guns and fighting and bombing and missiles and political coups than it is about a plague that was wiping out the world. The Last Ship just isn't a sci-fi apocalyptic story anymore...it has become a political war story.

Anyhow, all this "direction of the show" stuff is just my worry, but the pharmacist's story was full of tidbits that could explain away the notion that he is immune very easily.

Oh yeah...different topic, but I was surprised to hear the pharmacist refer to the walkers as "zombres". Add that one to growing list of names for walkers! :-)

Vickie

07-16-2004

Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 6:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vickie a private message Print Post    
I miss a lot of stuff that some of you see as I don't do cable and don't see the after shows. I appreciate all the talk that comes from what you all see and hear.

I love all things zombie so I have been enjoying these shows. As long as they stay fresh and new I go along with it.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 8:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I didn't hear him say zombie, that's interesting, because apparently they made it clear that the comics the main TWD was based on (and therefore in the same world as this FearTWD) didn't have zombies, and therefore that wouldn't be what people are calling them. It makes me think that the two shows are not liaising on backstory, which would be a shame.

(Totally agree about The Last Ship btw!)

I know walkers are meant to be weaker than humans (they die and then two minutes later their bones are so weak you can stamp their head flat with a tennis shoe) but suddenly it seems their teeth and fingers turn to fangs and they can bite and scratch like bears. It's always bothered me, with the main show too. Animals that can bite through flesh with such ease have enlarged canines and incisors, humans just have little stubby ones. And maybe some humans have long nails that could scratch but they're not like animal nails, and yet the slightest touch and walker nails go through clothes and into skin.

I know it's just the way it is in the show, they've decided it's a plot point but it always bugs me!

What I meant by the gnarly walkers is that - as far as I know - when people are bitten they die because they cannot stop the infection that develops. The infection is a mixture of whatever the walker bacteria/virus is, but also the other nasties you'd get if you had open wounds which were slowly rotting. The older the bite is the more these bacteria/viruses have multiplied, and the more infectious a bite is. So I'm suggesting these fresh to three week old walkers have less infection in them than the main TWD ones, and particularly in the first days of the virus, when Alejandro might have been bitten, they had even less, and therefore their bites might have been more survivable if you were lucky enough to be bitten somewhere that wasn't a main artery.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 10:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I didn't hear him say zombie, that's interesting, because apparently they made it clear that the comics the main TWD was based on (and therefore in the same world as this FearTWD) didn't have zombies, and therefore that wouldn't be what people are calling them."

When I re-watched the trailer, I turned on the closed captions and it shows he said "zombre".

I was surprised, too.

I know TWD world doesn't have "zombies" as monster characters in pop culture like the RW does. Maybe in this world "zombre" is just a Spanish language word for the resurrected dead.

I googled it, but the only mention of "zombre" I have found is an obscure comic called "Zombre".

(article from 2010)
http://comixtalk.com/hold_its_return_zombre/

and

(comic published in 2013)
https://comicsfix.com/books/zombre-borderline-press-anthology#book5/page1

AND....there is a 2011 kickstarter page to bring this character/comic to life (but this character seems to be different than the ones at the links above)...sounds like he's a Mexican zombie:

Part Zombie, all hombre... !Zombre!

zombre

Part Zombieā€¦All Hombre. !Zombre! is a tale of revenge and redemption. Bring this screenplay of a zombie-Western to life.
Created by
Timid Pirate Publishing
17 backers pledged $698 to help bring this project to life.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tpp/part-zombie-all-hombre-zombre

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 10:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I know walkers are meant to be weaker than humans (they die and then two minutes later their bones are so weak you can stamp their head flat with a tennis shoe) but suddenly it seems their teeth and fingers turn to fangs and they can bite and scratch like bears. It's always bothered me, with the main show too. Animals that can bite through flesh with such ease have enlarged canines and incisors, humans just have little stubby ones. And maybe some humans have long nails that could scratch but they're not like animal nails, and yet the slightest touch and walker nails go through clothes and into skin. "

But, but, but...there really is no scientific epidemiological explanation for walkers and what makes them what they are. They are just fictional monsters based on old religious beliefs in Haiti that have been adapted for pop culture monster fiction.

I just chalk it all up to the need to "suspend one's sense of disbelief". We already do that when watching TWD and FTWD because we totally accept that when people die in this world, they just get back up and eat their friends, family,and pets....but there is no way to scientifically explain it so that it conforms with real world logic. That's part of the horror of it...it simply started happening and no one knows why. It's like accepting that Superman is invulnerable and can fly simply because our sun is yellow instead of red, although that explanation goes against ALL laws of physics and it's a scientific impossibility.

I guess my point is that when I try to rationally understand "how" it works, it just distracts me from embracing the horror that is the "Macguffin" in this drama.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
But Superman is from Krypton, of course he can fly! ;)

That's what I mean really, that it's a thing they have decided is possible in this world, but it just bugs me. Okay, people can come back from the dead and even though they have no blood flow because their hearts don't beat, still their leg muscles work just fine, that's just the way it is. It's easy just to go along with large concepts, but it's the little things that bug me, that you can crush their heads to smush and yet their fingernails are seemingly made of adamantium.

Zombre, lol! But they presumably chose Zombre because is was a Zombie Hombre, so it's still kind of an acceptance that the word zombie is in the culture, which it wasn't meant to be. No biggie, just a little departure from canon.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 1:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Kitt, since TWD and FTWD are based on a comic, I wouldn't be surprised if Kirkman was already familiar with the obscure "Zombre" comic and the guy who wrote it. It very well might've just been an homage to the "Zombre" creator. I imagine the zombie comic writing circle is actually pretty small. :-)

I never really thought the word "zombie" wasn't in the TWD world even though I knew the producers said they would never use it. I just thought their world never had a zombie pop culture reference like we do. That's one of the scarier parts of the show, they had absolutely nothing to base this crazy event on. I figure they just never thought to name this horrific phenomenon on a religious belief (voodoo)from anther culture....and the way every region has their own name for them is such fun!

The funny thing is, in their world they have zombies but never knew there could be such a thing. In our world, we don't have zombies, but we know everything there is to know about them! And we love zombies!

I'd bet that fun, B-movie comical aspect of "zombie movies" is why they didn't want to use that word...it suggests "fun" more than "horror".

Vickie

07-16-2004

Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vickie a private message Print Post    
I actually copied and pasted Zombre into spanish to english translation and of course they were the same lol. I had not heard that term before but love it! This is why I love this board you guys go the extra mile :-)

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I googled and the spanish word is Zombi and it's prounounced just like zombie LOL

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, September 09, 2016 - 1:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
This is not my original thought (I found it on reddit, user Superj561) but someone pointed out that when the group were on the yacht and those bad guys were trying to get onboard, Chris asked everyone "Should I shoot him?" and Reed (Jesse McCartney) said "Piece of advice, if you have to ask the question, somebody should already be dead."

We know Chris was all messed up from thinking he should have stopped them coming onboard, so he probably has that phrase in his mind, and applied it when the farmer shot at them, even though he appeared to shoot for the leg on purpose.

Just thought it was an interesting observation and to me it makes Chris far more redeemable - he's still carrying guilt from before (it was eight days ago, real time) rather than just being a mindless psycho.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, September 09, 2016 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
very interesting. I had forgotten about that

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 8:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
On Talking Dead they said Alejandro didn't say Zombre he said Sombra, which is Spanish for shadow.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
good ep but I wanted to see at least a little of the dad and son especially after how they ended last week.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 9:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Kitt, I turned on the closed captioning when I watched that clip on TD last week. The word he said was displayed as "zombre".

So just to make sure, I checked the closed captioning on tonight's FTWD episode and you're right, it did say "sombra".

However, I was sure it said "zombre" last week....so went digging through my TIVO's "deleted" items. It keeps all deleted shows until it needs the space, much like a regular computer. Eureka! I still had last week's TD in there. So I pulled it out to check again to make sure I wasn't just hallucinating. It definitely was shown as "zombre" on last week's TD trailer!

I think someone must've made a mistake or the producers got inundated by angry fans for using the dreaded z-word so they just changed it in the closed captioning on this week's episode.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 10:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I just did a quick clip of that part of last week's TD (with the CC on) using my digital camera...and here it is:

zombre

So it may have been a mistake somewhere along the way but this proves that at least in that moment, on that day, I wasn't wacky-banana-crazy.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 10:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Dang...it kind of irks me that after all my hard work and research on this word last week, they just changed the captioning...obviously to make me look bad.

:-)

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 10:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I use the closed captioning all time after DH goes to bed, and it really has a lot of mistakes in it all the time. btw, the TV show itself doesn't do the captioning, or even go through it beforehand. So they wouldn't have even known about the mistake until afterward. Maybe they did contact the the CC people to make sure they got it right this time.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 10:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Oh yeah...when I was watching that scene tonight it reminded me of a true life "zombie" story.

Remember the guy in 2012 that they think was on "bath salts" when he went nuts and tried to eat a homeless man's face?

It occurred to me that maybe that's the drug that kid was using in the pharmacist's story. It really could've been that druggie kid that actually bit him.

Miami Cannibal Attack

<snip>

"On May 26, 2012, a naked male assailant named Rudy Eugene attacked and gruesomely maimed homeless man Ronald Poppo underneath a tram bridge crossing the MacArthur Causeway in Miami, Florida, making headlines across the world. During the 18-minute filmed encounter Eugene erroneously and erratically accused Poppo of stealing his Bible, then beat him unconscious, removed Poppo's pants, and bit and chewed the flesh off most of his face above the beard (including his left eye). This rendered Poppo permanently blind in both eyes and grossly disfigured his face.[1] Due to the incident's bizarrely grotesque nature and subsequent worldwide media coverage, Eugene came to be dubbed the "Miami Zombie" and the "Causeway Cannibal".[2] The attack ended when Eugene was fatally shot by a Miami PD officer after failing to respond to commands instructing him to stop (he reportedly even snarled at police)."

<snip>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_cannibal_attack

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 10:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I remember when that was in the news. They even had the video. It was the first time I had ever heard about "bath salts" (that's the drug they said he was on). Honestly, I still don't know what they are.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 10:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I just looked at it again and noticed that this week on FTWD, that word, now changed to "sombra") is also in italics now. Last week it wasn't. I guess they wanted to make sure it stood out.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 11:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It was fun finding out what a Zombre was anyway!

Vickie

07-16-2004

Monday, September 12, 2016 - 3:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vickie a private message Print Post    
Kitt you are right it has made for some good reading and researching on all parts.

I too remember that whole Miami news story. I don't ever want to hear of someone on that stuff again how scary for that guy. Bad enough being down and out then to have crazy guy go at him.