TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 10, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: American Gothic - CBS: Archive through September 10, 2016 users admin

Muffin

08-29-2007

Friday, September 02, 2016 - 9:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Muffin a private message Print Post    
Looky, I'm so glad I wasn't the only one to find the last episode confusing. I do think the grandmother is involved, why would they have even brought into the show and we know she is receiving money from the mother. Unless, it was only to confuse us more!
I also don't think the father did it.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, September 02, 2016 - 11:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
wasnt the dna was on the belt? If so, thats what was used to strangle accountant. Mom and dad both touched it but I think dad wore gloves

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 6:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
Re: Grandmother - that episode totally illustrated the depth and length the mother could and would go to protect her lifestyle and family. Nothing, even murder would stop her.

On to current episodes: In the struggle with Mr. Morales the dads nose was busted/bleeding - his DNA from the nose bleed could have gotten on the belt even though they tried to throughly clean the place up.

Until this latest episode I didn't have a firm hold of the ages of the kids nor did I know Allyson's future husband Tom was part of the family at the time of the killings - he was old enough to know what was going on. He could be the copycat/accomplice from before. He would also have likely known the security code back then and given it to the guy who was pushed down the stairs by Tessa.

Biloxibelle

12-21-2001

Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 8:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biloxibelle a private message Print Post    
Maybe the guy on the stairs was the SBK and he is the father of one of the spouses. That spouse might be out for revenge against the family.

My money is on Brady, Tessa's husband. He seems to be the most stand up one in the crowd, but he sure went to a lot of trouble following Garret so far into the wilderness.

Other than that I think the moms story is true, with the exception of her part in the killings. She just has no clue who is after the family either.She knows only she and her husband were involved in the copycat killing and he is dead.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I thought it was Alison's hubby from the start...mainly because we saw him and then we didnt see him for many episodes. That was how I solved almost all of the trilling Charlie's Angels episodes week after week in the 70s LOL. It was always someone we would see in the first 10 min and not see again until the last 15 min

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I thought it would turn out to be the groundskeeper at the beginning but then he wound up dead hanging from the rafter of the greehouse or tool shed......but now I wonder, did he have a brother or a partner-in-crime? Or was the groundskeeper himself somehow a member of that crazy family?

I keep thinking the ending will be a surprise because at one point or another I have suspected every single character except the ones that were too young to have been the SBK 14 years ago (and I even had second thoughts about some of them!).

Muffin

08-29-2007

Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 3:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Muffin a private message Print Post    
This show has kept us all guessing. That's what makes it so much fun to watch.

Panda

07-15-2005

Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 5:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
I was thinking that the spouses do have something to do with it now. Especially Tom since he was dating Allison back then.

Bbpeach

07-07-2005

Friday, September 09, 2016 - 9:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bbpeach a private message Print Post    
No comments yet? Is everyone that disappointed in the finale? lol or has no one watched?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, September 09, 2016 - 10:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, I taped it and haven't watched yet. I am sure I will have some comment once I see what happened.

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Friday, September 09, 2016 - 10:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
I have it on my DVR, but haven't watched it yet.
I did read a spoiler though, and was disappointed so not sure if I will watch it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, September 09, 2016 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed it!

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Friday, September 09, 2016 - 11:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
I didn't want to come here until I watched it - I liked the ending. But, they did leave some things open. Overall, I liked the series.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, September 09, 2016 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
it was a decent ending but I think this show could have been a 3 part series. Took way too long to tell this story. Agree they left it open but I doubt we will see another season

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, September 09, 2016 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I was totally impressed with Muffin guessing the druggy wife was involved last week. She hadn't even entered my mind at that point in the discussion.

Bbpeach

07-07-2005

Friday, September 09, 2016 - 3:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bbpeach a private message Print Post    
I liked the ending. And when you think of her being the artist, and all the tie ins with the famous paintings, totally makes sense.

I just kept thinking that she was going to be somewhere on the beach watching them there at the end, but no sign of her.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, September 09, 2016 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
When I saw the bathroom with the red and pink wallpaper I thought SanFran probably fainted. If he thought that blue paint on the walls was bad that pink wallpaper had to have sent him over the edge!

Panda

07-15-2005

Friday, September 09, 2016 - 7:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
I was good with the ending, at least it had one!

I thought it was a good summer series.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, September 09, 2016 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I was disappointed that the paintings weren't that easy to find this time. (Of course it was such fun seeing all the twists and turns I forgot to look for them and had to go back and scan through both eps again to find them...(if I, in fact, did). There were two paintings. Madame X should've been in the first hour...but there were at least two instances of a woman standing facing forward, wearing a long fitted black dress and neither of them was close enough for me to know for sure.

At one point, Allison's capaign manager/girlfriend entered Allison's office and stood there for a second, poised...long black dress and a lot of cleavage. At another point in that hour, Allison took a second to compose herself before opening the door to answer the doorbell at her home. She, too, stood poised for moment wearing a long black dress with a white band around the bodice and it had a very high neckline.

Madame X could have been either one those two women.

I assume that the Whistler's Mother scene was dead mommy dearest in the chair in the living room, but it was a weird camera angle. There was a large picture on the wall beyond her, so it must have been the right scene.

I liked the ending. The druggie DIL was one of the ones I quickly discounted because of her age! Of course, they were looking for a partner, not the original SBK at this point. A HUGE clue that went right over my head was the painting "American Gothic" itself. I'd never known that painting was of a father and daughter until I read here in this thread....and the killer team was a father and daughter. Duh. I thought about Allison or Tessa and their father and then discounted them because I thought it didn't make sense.

I love that I couldn't figure it out. A murder mystery is really fun if it's done well...in retrospect, all the clues were there but just subtle enough to be overlooked.

I don't really think it needs a season 2. I think the bad guys (not counting dead mommy dearest and dead daddy!) just got away with it in this case. Allison got to be mayor and the DIL got away to do drugs somewhere else. The bad guys get away with stuff all the time. At least the Hawthorne family seems to have rebounded into a fairly functional family now the parents were taken out.

But I do wonder who Cam's newest girlfriend is related to.... bwahaha

I'm hoping if there is a season two, it'll follow the model of American Crime and American Horror Story and have a brand new story next time.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 1:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Just watched the finale - loved it!

And I especially appreciated the beach scene at the end where we got to see Mayor Allison raising her twins with campaign manager Naomi (no sign of Tom). Loved how matter of factly they treated their same-sex relationship as no big deal.

Biloxibelle

12-21-2001

Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 6:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biloxibelle a private message Print Post    
I loved the ending and I really enjoyed the show. Well done American Gothic.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 7:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree. I thought it was a solid ending. I especially liked that they played fair with the viewers and had relevant on screen characters committing the murders rather than introducing some obscure characters at the last minute.

Muffin

08-29-2007

Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Muffin a private message Print Post    
I forgot to watch it!!!!! I see its on my PVR so I will get to it sometime.
These are my favorite type of shows to watch......all whodunnits. My family goes nuts because I usually figure out the ending!
I can't wait to watch it later today.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 11:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Okay...I finally decided one of the "women in black" scenes from the show looked more like the painting than the others....it was more her pose and the placement of her arms that made me think this must be the one:

Ep 12, Madame X:

madx
(Left image from: wikipedia Right image from the first half of the finale that aired)
---
After checking the episode again I found this shot of dead mommy that was posed a lot more like the painting so I'm sure this must be the one.

Ep 13, Whistler's Mother:

wm
(Left image is public domain wikipedia Right image is from the second half of the finale that aired)

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 11:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Wow! What an ending! Wasnt expecting SBK to be an in-law! and the Mother who was responsible for a few murders, got what she deserved via her own daughter's mechanisms!