TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 02, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: American Gothic - CBS: Archive through September 02, 2016 users admin

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 7:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
If it is Mom, I will be very ticked! They gave it away when she murdered her own husband! If its anyone else, we have a very small pool of suspects.

Panda

07-15-2005

Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 7:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
I think the mom would be too obvious at this point. I hope it is not her just for that reason. I love the whole using a painting in each episode and always watch out for it!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 8:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
i wonder if the killers name is spelled out with the painting titles

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
Thanks for clarifying about the friend in the woods - I had forgotten about the scene with the ambulance taking him away.

If it's not the mayor (who I suspected from the beginning - since who casts Enrico Colantoni for a throw away role?) and nobody 'obvious' like the mother or Garrett, who else would Garrett protect? He would do anything for Tessa - but she would have been too young in the SBK killings. By age, the only characters who would have been old enough: Mr. Hawthorne; Mrs. Hawthorne; Gunther (gardener); Mrs. Hawthorne's mother; Mr. Hawthorn's partner/affair partner; Mayor; Police Dect; neighbor; Allison?; Cam?; Tom (Allyson's husband now but wasn't back then)...who else?

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 9:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
The title artwork, American Gothic is supposed to be of a father and a daughter and
'represent survivors' (per write up from Art Institute of Chicago.

American Gothic

http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/artwork/6565

Sorry mods- I tried to edit a small pic but I couldn't re-upload the smaller pic. :-(

<Just changed the link to beneath the picture and that makes it less wide ~ jr :-) >

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 10:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I wonder if the father/daughter thing is meant to tell us something. I had always assumed the woman was meant to be his wife.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 2:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
" I had always assumed the woman was meant to be his wife."

Me, too.

If it hints that a daughter is involved...it must be the politician!

Marameko

07-14-2002

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 7:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
This darn show has me perplexed........Gotta stick with it,almost over.

Panda

07-15-2005

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 7:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
Interesting!! I wonder if there will be a scene representing that painting. (Or was there one in an episode already!!)

Holly

07-21-2001

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 8:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
I'm amazed so many of you like this show. I think it's one of the most badly written and acted shows that I've seen in a looooong time. And that penultimate episode (going over the woodsman's background)...zzzzzz! End already!

Looky_lou

05-07-2011

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 10:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Looky_lou a private message Print Post    
I binged watched the first 10 episodes over the week-end after reading everyone's comments in here. I was intrigued by the real life depiction of the paintings. I am so glad to hear that some of you think it could be the daughter because that is who I suspect. Whenever she talks about her dad it looks and sounds like hero worship to me. I think everyone else in the family is too obvious, unless it turns out to be the youngest daughter. I think they mentioned she was 10 when the killings were happening and the weird kid seems to be about the same age, so maybe it runs in the family. I just know I am really enjoying it, I love a good who-dun-it so I hope we are not disappointed in the end.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 5:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I'm amazed so many of you like this show. I think it's one of the most badly written and acted shows that I've seen in a looooong time."

But you're still watching it because it entertains you, right? :-)

I don't think a show needs to have to great acting or writing to be totally entertaining. Both "Zoo" and "Sharknado" (and its three sequels) spring to mind....they are all thoroughly ridiculous yet thoroughly entertaining.

I'm just watching for the fun of trying to figure out "whudunit" and also to find the real life painting scene in each episode, but I don't expect it to garner any Emmy nominations. I just want to be entertained and this silly show is doing that in spades!

Holly

07-21-2001

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 6:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
But you're still watching it because it entertains you, right? :-)

No, watching it because nothing much else on in the summer. Glad it's entertaining you though!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 1:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
This was another episode with a pretty weak version of the painting in the show. I don't think I would've recognized it even if I'd been extremely familiar with the painting!

Here's this week's painting again, since the one I previously posted is already hidden upthread a page back (from: LINK to www.crazywebsite.com
freedom from fear

Here's the screen grab of the scene from the episode that aired tonight:
freedom

So, tonight's episode had a few surprises! SBK was actually the mysterious body that was dragged from the stairs? And it was mommy dearest herself who came up with the "copycat" plan AND she was the one who actually committed the murder?

Since we still have two more episodes before this is over, I'm expecting some more big twists and turns....such as exactly who was that guy who was revealed to be the real SBK? (That was a new character, right?) And who did he leave waiting in the car when he entered the Hawthorne residence? And who was he targeting in that house...and why? And if SBK is really dead, who's playing with murdered dolls and staging them in crime scenes in the big dollhouse? (Hmmm....come to think of it, that seems right up Jack's alley....that kid is a psycho! :-))

Oh yeah, did the bones that Garret was feeding to the corn meal grinder really belong to the SBK? I can't imagine that mommy dearest only spilled "truthful beans" in her sudden confession after 14 years of absolute secrecy. (That confession could've just been some kind of ploy to further her agenda, whatever that may be...) For all we really know, that "SBK guy" may have just been another patsy that mommy dearest set up to take the fall (pun intended).

And how does her con artist mother figure into all of this? There has to be a reason why she was brought into this story in the first place. And did the cat's tail survive Jack's reattachment procedure??

Gee, at first it looked like we got lot of answers tonight but now I wonder if we just got more questions!

I have no idea where all this is going, but I do expect that a big pile of steaming surprises will be dropped during the next two episodes!

Bwahahaha...

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 7:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Love the pictures and discussion!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 9:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I also think the little kid put the dolls in the doll house.

Im thinking we are going to find out Alison's hubby and Virginia Madeson's mom are connected in some way

Sanfran, I forgot about the cat, which reminds me where is that Mrs Kravitz character been? is she still alive ? hmmmmmmm

Looky_lou

05-07-2011

Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Looky_lou a private message Print Post    
Something about the mom's story about the man on the stairs doesn't sound right to me. She seemed to put a lot of the blame on the two girls, the youngest for pushing the man down the stairs and the oldest for giving the accountant the wrong files. I'm questioning if the man on the stairs was really the SBK killer.

I have absolutely no idea where this story is going and that's why I'm enjoying it so much.

Muffin

08-29-2007

Friday, September 02, 2016 - 1:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Muffin a private message Print Post    
Tonight was the first time I had so much trouble following the story. We were given so much information, that I couldn't keep up.
I remember the name David Morelis, but I forgot what he was in the story. Was there a different SBK who was supposedly killed at the Hawthorne house and then pushed down the stairs by the little girl and thought was dead. And when Garret set out to buy him, he was forced to fight for his live and killed and buried him. So then the father went and killed David Morelis and couldn't do it, so the wife did it, but then they continued more killings to make the police think that the SBK was still out their. And this was done to save the Hawthorne business. Am I correct or just more confused.
I hope this whole matter gets straightened out before the season ends or I will have been watching for nothing.
What a mess this family is.

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Friday, September 02, 2016 - 6:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
David Moralis was Christine's dad (the girl Garrett followed, when he returned, and had a relationship with - and is now pregnant with Garrett's child). Garrett said he felt guilty about her dad's death which occurred because of HIS parents. There were no more SBK killings after David Moralis, I believe, until lately - that's why the mom believes there is another copycat or unknown accomplice - which we know from Tessa's husbands investigation.

Muffin

08-29-2007

Friday, September 02, 2016 - 8:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Muffin a private message Print Post    
Thanks Scotch!

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Friday, September 02, 2016 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Wow! Lots of twists and turns in this show. Didnt surprise me that the mother orchestrated and finished the death of the lawyer or financial guy. They make Garrett look so crazy at times, that you can believe he was the killer!

Muffin

08-29-2007

Friday, September 02, 2016 - 3:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Muffin a private message Print Post    
The only person no one has thought of is the kid's mother! I forget her name, the drug addict. The little kid is already a sick kid, and his mother loves arts and crafts. She did that project with him. Maybe they made the miniature house and people with him and he let her in!
I know, I'm reaching here!!

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Friday, September 02, 2016 - 4:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
Muffin, the DNA proved that the killer is a member of the immediate family, so that rules out spouses.

All along I've thought it was Alison, the oldest daughter.

Looky_lou

05-07-2011

Friday, September 02, 2016 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Looky_lou a private message Print Post    
I just watched the last episode again because I found it very confusing, and a couple things stood out to me. I have a new wacky theory on what's going on.

The guy on the stairs knew the security code when he entered the house. What if he wasn't a stranger to the mom, but was to everyone else. Wasn't her waitress mom being paid to stay away? Maybe it was someone from her previous life and he was there because she lured him there and gave him the code to sneak in. I know the painting America Gothic is suppose to be of a father and daughter, what if we're looking at the wrong father and daughter. The other thing that struck me when I was watching it again was when they were killing the accountant. The dad just couldn't do it, she had to step in and finish it. I don't think he's the killer.
I read an article about the show and the series creator said that there are Easter eggs in the early episodes that will make sense in the final episode.

Muffin

08-29-2007

Friday, September 02, 2016 - 9:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Muffin a private message Print Post    
Snoops, I was only thinking of the miniature house and how it got in there. I totally forgot about the DNA, plus I know the kids' mother is too young to be the SBK. I don't even know what made me go there!!