TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 26, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: American Gothic - CBS: Archive through August 26, 2016 users admin

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 6:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
Wow - you guys are so good. I would never have paired the episode titles with famous paintings.

Did you all read the Christina's World description on why the girl was in the field? She's stricken with polio and is crawling to her house seen in the distance. I wonder if anything ABOUT the paintings are supposed to be related to the episode? I'll have to rewatch now...lol.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 12:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I googled around and found the painting that's in the pilot episode, which was titles “Arrangement in Grey and Black". (AKA "Whistler's Mother")

This scene was much less apparent in the episode than "Christina's World" was (to me at least)....but now seeing the scene and painting side by side, it's seems more obvious.

arrangement
Full size image:
https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/tv_8things_
gothicindex1a.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

The article talks about some of the paintings but only shows the Whistler's Mother scene. You can read the article here:
http://nvs24.com/news/entertainment/American-Gothic-goes-arty-with-a-visual-nod-to-masters-6584654.html

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 12:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Naja I found a side by side of the one you found, "The Gross Clinic":

thomas-eakins-painting1
image from: http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2016/08/03/thomas-eakins-painting.jpg

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 5:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
This is the painting that's supposed to be in tonight's episode...

Here's a link to it on wikipedia:

DO NOT click if you don't want to know before watching the show! This links directly to the image.

LINK

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 5:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I love the way they imitate the paintings on the show. Fun and clever.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 10:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Whoa, they really matched that one perfectly, SFJ.

eta: how funny how in the background of the painting the man is writing on a pad, but in the real one the guy is typing on a laptop....LOL

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 7:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I am just starting the show, but here is tonight's painting to look for. Maybe SFJ can post the scene after he watches.

"The Veteran in a New Field"

Photo from
http://www.wikiart.org/en/winslow-homer/the-veteran-in-a-new-field

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I may have discovered a clue to the killer....

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
We know that each episode has a title that is also the name of a famous painting. Looking at the episode list in imdb.com, I noticed that finale episode (episode 13) is titled "Whistler's Mother". The actual name of that painting is "Arrangement in Grey and Black", which was the title (and painting) for episode 1.

Does the fact that the first and last episodes use the same painting of a mother mean that the killer is the "mother"? If so, does that refer to Cam and Garret's mother or their grandmother (their mother's mother) who lives in the trailer?

Hmmmmm.....

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 8:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
That's very interesting.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 10:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I didn't think tonight's painting scene was that good of a match

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 11:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I agree it wasn't a great match, but even just putting a hat with a brim on Garret would've made it lot better....and better still if the grass had been dry and yellow.

Anyhow here it is:
american gothic-veteran in a new field
(image from the aired episode)

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 11:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
....and if he wasn't standing 3 feet in a hole already.

Thanks for grabbing the image, SFJ. This is so much fun to me.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 11:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Did anyone notice the bearded lady in the picture of the funeral that Virginia Madsen was holding? I didn't recognize that character...it wasn't one of the sisters or the mother because they're all in the front row.

She's sitting right behind Cam and his wife:
funerlpic-bearded lady

Here's a zoomed in close-up:

bearded ldy closeup

I assume that must've been a veil (or the bearded silver bell killer in a disguise)...but I've never seen a woman wearing a veil at a funeral that just covered the bottom half of her face.

Or maybe it was just a beard of bees.

(image from the episode that aired tonight)

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 11:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Thanks for grabbing the image, SFJ. This is so much fun to me."

You're welcome. I gotta admit, it is a fun gimmick...it makes me want to watch the episode right away instead of delaying it like I do with so many other shows.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 11:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I forgot to post these last week:

Ep 9 - "The Oxbow"

the oxbow painting
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/hb/hb_08.228.jpg

From the aired episode on 8/17/16:
The Oxbow on AmerGoth-ep9

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 12:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
WTH with the chin veil? I didn't even notice that during the show. I can't even imagine a real life explanation for that. I mean one better than a bee beard....LOL

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
Okay - so are the bones Garrett dug up the old friend? The mom HAS to be involved, right?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Do we know when the finale is?

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 2:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
The finale is Sept 7. There are 2 eps left.

ETA: Scotch, I don't think it's the friend. I thought he said the friend is buried in a cemetery.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 7:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Naja, I believe there are 3 more episodes (total of 13) and the finale is on September 14. At least that's what IMDB.COM says.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5257744/episodes?ref_=tt_ov_epl

And, while I'm at it, here are the next two paintings:

August 31, 2016, episode 11:"Freedom from fear"
freedom from fear
(image from http://www.crazywebsite.com/Free-Galleries-01/USA_Patriotic/Pictures_WWII_Posters_LG/
Four_Freedoms_Norman_Rockwell_Painting_
Freedom_From_Fear-1LG.jpg
)

September 7, 2016, episode 12: "Madame X"
madame x
(image from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portrait_of_Madame_X)

There should be one more episode and one more painting after the two above.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 7:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I don't think it was his cabin friend either....didn't Garret say he was buried near his sister? Besides, after the guy was dead we saw Garret watching from the woods as the ambulance came and took away the body.

However, there was that one unexplained scene with teenaged Garret looking disheveled and dirty and holding that bloody knife when his mother walked in and saw him and said "What have you done now?" That was shortly before he ran off.

I'm thinking maybe Garret was there when the first man was killed but he didn't actually kill him. I think he was covering for someone. To me, it all boils down to Garret being too obvious to have actually be the SBK.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Friday, August 26, 2016 - 5:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
I don't think this was cabin friend as well ( this actor was also on "Lost") as one shot shows the friend being taken away by an ambulance and Garrett was binding in the trees/ bushes.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, August 26, 2016 - 5:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Sanfran, you may be on to something because why show us her mom in the trailer park and then never refer to her again.

I will be so irritated if it is mom (Virginia Madsen) because they just seemed way more obvious than anyone else from the 1st ep

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, August 26, 2016 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I still watch this show but wish it was better. Kinda wish the SBK had started back up again

Biloxibelle

12-21-2001

Friday, August 26, 2016 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biloxibelle a private message Print Post    
I think this is the body of whoever was dragged down the stairs. Garrett cleaning up after another family member? I am leaning toward mom. So rest assured it is not mom (I am almost always wrong).