TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 15, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Night Of.... on HBO: Archive through August 15, 2016 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, June 27, 2016 - 9:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Now this looks so good! It's an 8 part murder mystery on HBO.

After a night of partying with a female stranger, a man wakes up to find her stabbed to death and is charged with her murder.

From creators Steven Zaillian and Richard Price, The Night Of is an eight-part limited series that delves into the intricate story of a fictitious murder case in New York City. The series follows the police investigation and legal proceedings, all the while examining the criminal justice system and the purgatory of Rikers Island, where the accused awaits his trial.

It doesn't premiere on TV until July 10, but they have put the premiere episode online and in ondemand early for us.

Trailer and Ep 1
http://www.hbo.com/the-night-of/mini-series-information/video/trailer.html

Tvwatcher

04-16-2004

Friday, July 08, 2016 - 12:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tvwatcher a private message Print Post    
I really enjoyed it! I kept yelling NOOOO DON'T DO THAT!! at the screen LOL

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, July 08, 2016 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I know! That poor guy made every wrong decision that night.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, July 11, 2016 - 6:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
LOL-I felt the same way.

It was good. I'm so spoiled by binge watching... I want the rest of the episodes NOW.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, July 11, 2016 - 7:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I missed it. HBO repeats things so I'll have to keep an eye out for it or watch it on demand.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 7:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed it! I like the way the story unfolded and the main character, although he made some bad decisions, is someone you can cheer for a bit and feel for his predicament. I also liked the portrayal of the police officers and the detective. They seemed realistically weary. The detective was very smart with his non-antagonistic "friendly" approach when dealing with the suspect. It made sense and I enjoyed that a lot more than some over the top type of police shows.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, July 18, 2016 - 3:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
The opening episode was marvelous (and long, too, nearly 90 minutes). The actor who's playing Naz (Nasir Khan) is adorable - I don't want him to be guilty! We're going to watch episode two tonight and I expect it to be just as good as the opener.

I read somewhere that, had he not died, James Gandolfini was scheduled to play the defense attorney that John Turturro is playing. I noticed in the opening credits that Gandolfini is listed as "Executive Producer."

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 6:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The actor who's playing Naz (Nasir Khan) is adorable - I don't want him to be guilty!

Well now you're making me think (is that a good thing?). It never occurred to me that he might actually have done it.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 6:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I really don't think Naz is guilty. The girl started off seeming afraid of the something and wanted to get far from where she was, and later said she didn't want to be alone that night. I think she knew someone was after her.

Plus, Naz didn't have any blood on him when he woke up, and that room was coated with blood. No way the person that did that murder wasn't also covered in blood.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 12:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
A show like this could end with Naz being totally innocent of the murder but still found guilty in a court of law.

This is HBO realism at its best....not an episode of Law & Order with the guilty person in jail and the innocent one fully exonerated. I always expected L&O episodes to be wrapped up in a bow at the end of the hour....but HBO tends to push the envelope.

I think the show might turn out to be more about "the system" than the crime.

In any case, this story is riveting.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 12:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Seeing as how this is what the synopsis says that I posted in the first post, I think you are right.

The series follows the police investigation and legal proceedings, all the while examining the criminal justice system and the purgatory of Rikers Island, where the accused awaits his trial.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 1:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
The HBO show is based on the BBC series, "Criminal Justice" which ran for two seasons in the UK in 2008 and 2009. The first season won the BAFTA for Best Drama Serial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_Justice_(TV_series)

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Seeing as how this is what the synopsis says that I posted in the first post, I think you are right."

I don't remember reading that. although I must have at some point. At least I know I'm seeing it as they intended it. :-)

So far it really has been more about police procedure than what actually happened. His guilt or innocence isn't really the point right now. I'm already wondering how this will change him down the line. I can't imagine he will see the end of this without emotional and/or physical scars that will change him forever.

I think that's because Naz comes across as so sweet and innocent and naive. Now he's being thrust into a world of criminals where intimidation and physical violence is a way of life.

The only thing he can do now is hope. He really has no control over his situation...it's all in the hands of an odd lawyer whom he doesn't even know and the detective who's just looking at the evidence. At the moment he's not even part of the equation....he's just flowing along in the directions being set up by the lawyer and the cop as their actions decide his fate without any input from Naz himself.

To me, it really felt like a scary finality seeing him being processed at Rikers.....as if it was the end of his freedom and the beginning of the end of the man he had become up to this point.

Saggkl

07-16-2002

Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 3:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Saggkl a private message Print Post    
Well put Sanfran. As always love to read your uptake on show. Thanks

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 10:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
As much as I like this show, it's an ep like tonight's that frustrates me. There was nothing aimed toward the evidence of finding out whether Naz is innocent or guilty. I realize that may be an actual point of the show, but it is still something that frustrates me as a viewer.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, July 25, 2016 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Someone on Twitter was grousing about the giving of the milk to the cat. I am not a cat person, so I don't know anything about them other than that they are cute critters -- is feeding milk to a cat considered a bad thing? (Just curious).

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, July 25, 2016 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
If a cat is not used to drinking milk, just like with people, they get intestinal distress. They will be lactose intolerant. If they are used to drinking milk, then there's no problem.

That is how it was with my cats when I was younger.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, July 25, 2016 - 2:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thank you, Naja, makes sense to me (and I'm wildly lactose intolerant myself). I agree about there not being enough evidence stuff in the episode - I could have used more of that and less of Naz roaming around the prison. I was a nervous wreck because I don't want him to get hurt. (But you know he will, sooner or later.)

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, July 29, 2016 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"As much as I like this show, it's an ep like tonight's that frustrates me. There was nothing aimed toward the evidence of finding out whether Naz is innocent or guilty. I realize that may be an actual point of the show, but it is still something that frustrates me as a viewer."

I agree that this really is frustrating.

Even though a lot of evidence has been found....it all points to Naz. No evidence has been found that points to anyone else. Naz was there with her in her bed, he was still in the apartment when she was killed, he ran away like a guilty person would, and he had the bloody murder weapon hidden in his pocket.

The cops honestly believe they've found the person they're looking for.

Meanwhile, the system is moving along without regard to the actual guilt or innocence of the people whose lives it controls.

Watching this show, the deliberate slowness of the system is what frustrates me the most. We all know it usually takes months (or years) for major crimes to come to trial and finally be resolved....but we're more used to seeing a quick resolution in movies and crime-of-the-week tv shows. I keep thinking how awful it must be for Naz to be in jail and not know what's happening with the investigation. His entire future is now in the hands of a woman he's never even met and who probably think he's guilty.

It must be maddening to feel so helpless in this kind of situation while complete strangers determine the rest of his life.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, July 29, 2016 - 10:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
This is TV, but it happens for real! Someone in Chicago was recently freed after spending 20 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit. And Ryan Ferguson was in prison for 10 years for a murder he did not commit. His story was on Dateline.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, July 29, 2016 - 10:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I think the most prominent case at the moment is "The Central Park 5" from 1989. Mainly because Donald Trump took out a full page ad demanding to bring back the death penalty to NY for these 5 young black men, and they were imprisoned for many many years, but they were proven innocent by DNA and finally released.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, August 08, 2016 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I am a little confused at the involvement of the 2 black men. Does anybody have it in them to explain that part to me?

eta: Were they both the same 2 guys that gave Naz a hard time when he got the girl's apt? Was that Limo driver driver in gas station that seemed to know her brought up yet?
I am very mixed up right now.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, August 08, 2016 - 9:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Did I mention how much much I dislike the prosecutor? She is a nightmare.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 1:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"eta: Were they both the same 2 guys that gave Naz a hard time when he got the girl's apt?"

Yes, the one guy that told the cops he was alone was the smart ass one giving Naz a hard time. His buddy (Dwayne Reed) just stood there staring towards the apartment that Naz and Andrea entered...but he never said anything.

"Was that Limo driver driver in gas station that seemed to know her brought up yet?
I am very mixed up right now."

Nope, he hasn't been mentioned at all. In fact, until you just brought up the limo driver I had totally forgotten about him!

ETA - You shouldn't feel mixed up...everything you thought was exactly how I understood it! :-)

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, August 15, 2016 - 11:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
It goes to show what bad witness I would have made. I thought he was driving a limo, but it turns out he was driving a hearse. hahaha

He ended up being a very creepy guy.