TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 18, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Netflix Series Recommendations : ARCHIVES: Archive through July 18, 2016 users admin

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I love Peaky Blinders!!

Marameko

07-14-2002

Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Thanks for mentioning Peaky......totally off of my radar screen.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 8:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I'm binge watching Marcella with Anna Friel. It's listed as a Netflix original, but I believe it was bought from a UK distributor.

It is pretty addicting. I'm on episode 5 of 8. I keep wanting to peek ahead to the ending. They throw lots of suspicious characters at you.

Here is the IMBd synopsis...

Marcella Backland left the Metropolitan Police for the sake of her family, only to have her husband leave her. She returns to her job on the murder squad, investigating a case that seems disturbingly familiar to her.

Akwarlord47

06-26-2007

Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 6:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Akwarlord47 a private message Print Post    
I will look for Marcella this weekend for some binge watching. Thanks.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 5:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I am enjoying Marcella. Sad it is only 8 Episodes.

Akwarlord47

06-26-2007

Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 10:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Akwarlord47 a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the Marcella recommendation I really enjoyed it. Now I need to find a new one

Rieann

08-26-2006

Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Glad you both enjoyed Marcella. :-)

Reader234

08-13-2000

Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 11:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
I'm in to cozy mysteries ( like Murder She Wrote)

Rosemary and Thyme - cozy mystery set in England Laura and Rosemarie are gardeners/horticulturalist/landscapers. Murders happen they solve.

Midsomer Murders. A bit more quirky, almost 2 hours, so usually more than 1 murder, set in a quaint England town follow inspector Barnaby as he solves the murders and his wife and dd get annoyed (very mild, it's a cozy mystery after all!)

Miss Fishers Murder Mysteries put the quirk in quirky! Phynea Fisher is very rich and decides to solve murders. Set in the 1920's in Austraila it's fun to see her collect staff, and help others (a bit of sex, a bit gruesome-only a teeny tiny bit mind you). It's a fun watch. The actress is enjoyable to watch.

Murdoch Mysteries pops up. Set in Toronto mid century, just haven't gotten in to it as well as I have the others. I'm trying though!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, July 11, 2016 - 11:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the Marcella recommendation!! RIEANN! I am just starting it. I was looking for a new series!

Scout

01-19-2005

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 8:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Netflix has an original movie, "The Fundamentals of Caring", that is one of the sweetest and best movies I have ever seen. Paul Rudd plays a caregiver to a boy with muscular dystrophy. It's funny and heartwarming and just a really wonderful movie.

Tvwatcher

04-16-2004

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tvwatcher a private message Print Post    
I have 2 episodes left to watch of Marcella - I'm enjoying it!

While I suspect that all the pieces will fall into place at the end, right now I'm having trouble keeping all the characters straight - I need a spreadsheet or something! lol

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
Reader234, are the shows you named on Netflix? I too enjoy the cozy mystery and really enjoy Miss Fishers Murder Mysteries and Murdoch Mysteries (later Artful Detective). I have just began watching Midsomer Murders on my local PBS... looks like I need to check out Netflix for earlier episodes.

And regarding "cozy mysteries" do you happen to have access the Hallmark Movies and Mysteries? Murder She Wrote, Hart to Hart, Diagnosis Murder, and Columbo are shown regularly.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 4:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Scout, I also thought The Fundamentals of Caring was a sweet movie. Predictable but sweet.

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 4:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
I'm going to try the new Netflix show called "Stranger Things" tonight. I don't know much about it except that Winona Ryder plays the mother of a boy who goes missing, and it's billed as a supernatural mystery set in the '80's. I read one review that described it as a cross between E.T., Poltergeist, and Stand By Me. LoL Anyway, there are only 8 episodes, so if it's good I'll probably finish it by Monday. :-)

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 5:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
That sounds good. I don't have any shows on Saturday night so I'll give it a try.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 9:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Please come back and give us a review.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 11:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I'm two episodes into Stranger Things and agree with the description of it being a combo of ET, Poltergeist and Stand By Me. The young actors in it are very natural and a treat to watch. From what I've seen so far, I recommend it.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I'm really enjoying Stranger Things. Besides the shows listed above, I feel like there a little bit of Goonies in it, too. But make no mistake, there's murder and some blood as well.

Even Stephen King gave it a good review on twitter.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 12:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
I really love Master of None and I was really pleased to see Mr Ansari receive an Emmy nomination last week.

I also just found out that Netflix has some episodes of my favorite cooking show, America's Test Kitchen. It's only one season, but that's better than nothing.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 8:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Just finished Marcella, wow!! I had many feelings about this show. Not sure how they would do a second d season though.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 10:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I promised myself I wouldn't binge on Stranger Things but then went ahead and did so because I enjoyed it so much. If it remains a stand-alone season, I'm okay with that but also wouldn't mind if they continued it. I'll be curious as to how others interpret the Chief's car ride with the guys in black.

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Monday, July 18, 2016 - 8:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
Oh, that's great that some of you have already checked out "Stranger Things"!

Lol, I started watching it at 6pm and finished at 2am. I hadn't planned on watching it all in one night, but that's what happened. I obviously enjoyed it. :-)

I definitely saw the Poltergeist and Stand By Me influences, and in a weird way even ET. However, it's been ages since I've seen any of those movies, so for me, ST was a perfect mix of nostalgia & originality.

I noticed that while the ending did give us closure to the story there were still a couple of openings for more.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, July 18, 2016 - 9:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Is Stranger Things hard to follow? I so often find these days if you get up to go the bathroom or check your emails then you've lost the whole gist of the plot. I don't always want to sit intently paying attention in fear of missing something. I like to multi task. I just couldn't get into Bloodline. I tried. I don't think it was too hard to follow, maybe just kind of slow. I didn't like that the killed the best character off and then the *back shadowing. ( wrong word but it escapes me.)

Marameko

07-14-2002

Monday, July 18, 2016 - 10:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Maybe you meant " backstory ".

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, July 18, 2016 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Close, I meant "flashbacks". I'm getting old.