TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 26, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Preacher: Archive through June 26, 2016 users admin

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Friday, May 27, 2016 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
Did anyone watch? It was really interesting. I have not read the comics so I have no idea which way it will go but so far I think I might like it. The premiere repeats again this Sunday on AMC.

Texas4ever

02-12-2009

Friday, May 27, 2016 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texas4ever a private message Print Post    
I did not know this was a comic. I was a little confused but will watch again.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, May 27, 2016 - 3:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I don't think it was mentioned in the pilot, but I read somewhere that the character with the messed up mouth/face is known as "arse-face".

So far there is some kind of mystical force from outer space, an Irish vampire/bar tender, a young man with a butthole for a face and a preacher with a violent past who was hit with that weird force from outer space.

What's not to like? :-)

Jasper

09-14-2000

Friday, May 27, 2016 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Lol, I recorded it but have yet to watch.

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 9:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
I'm so glad you reminded me about this. I had to break down and read a synopsis of the comic story, because I've never been so confused by a pilot before. :-)

I had no idea what I'd watched. Was it supernatural, science fiction, or spiritual? Was that a vampire falling from the sky? Who was that woman taking out all those bad guys... were they bad guys? What was that going on at the church in Africa? And finally what possessed him at the end, was it evil or good?

Now that I've read the premise I know some of those answers, and I think I'll enjoy the first episode better, now.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 12:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Btw, tomorrow there's a re-airing of the pilot that aired last Sunday...and it's followed by "Talking Preacher", yet another Chris Hardwicke talk show. Hardwicke said there will be just two episodes of "Talking Preacher"...one after the premiere on Sunday, May 29, and the other one after the season finale.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 12:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Whrlwnd, here's what I thought happened in the church in Africa. The entity entered the black preacher and decided it didn't like him. So when it left the preacher's body, he made the preacher's body explode....I can't help but laugh that I am typing this....hahaha

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 6:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
I think you're right, Naja. :-)

I watched again last night. Turns out I missed a lot the first time. I hadn't noticed (or understood) that after Africa the same thing happened in Russia and (LoL) it also 'blew up' Tom Cruise at the church of Scientology (that was kind of funny) before it finally settled on the preacher in Texas.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, May 30, 2016 - 12:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I wasnt sure if I would like this. About 22 mins in and thought nope, dont like it, decided to give it a little bit more time and Tulip came into the picture, feel in love with her character! Now, I am totally onboard :-)

Akwarlord47

06-26-2007

Monday, May 30, 2016 - 2:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Akwarlord47 a private message Print Post    
Did anyone watch the cut with the Director's Comments? it was offered on my Xfinity Service It was great

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, May 30, 2016 - 2:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Didn't see that option on my tv, Akwarlord. I missed Talking Preacher too, but I've set it to tape on Friday.

I didn't think this would be my thing, but the trailers were so bizarre I wanted to try it. I think I like it but am still not quite sure!

Just in case I'm more lost than I thought... the force that came from space that made the African preacher and Tom Cruise (lol) explode, that's the thing that's now in our preacher, right? Or was it something different?

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, May 30, 2016 - 2:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Seth Rogan is one of the guys doing the commentary so he makes it a lot of fun.

Kitt, did you look in your on-demand choices? Comcat/xfinity has a choice to play the regular pilot or pilot with commentary. They are listed as 2 different shows.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, May 30, 2016 - 2:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I have DirecTV and they don't have any On Demand yet, and the repeats I see on tv during the week all look to be the normal show. I'll have a search on the website some time, as they probably have it.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, May 30, 2016 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
The commentary did confirm that the entity killed the black preacher because it just didn't like him. It didn't find him to be a suitable host. Just like you see on the TV at the bar. The entity went into Tom Cruise and didn't like him either, and the news report said "Tom Cruise Explodes"....LOL

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I'm beyond confused with this latest ep. I dont even know if I enjoyed it.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 9:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I'm the same. I was intrigued by the first episode but who were those men? How did the other two find Jesse and Cassidy? Why does the girl want Jesse to be bad? Too many eh?s.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, June 06, 2016 - 8:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I think there are lots of aliens around.
the girl that wants Jesse to be bad was his old grifter partner. As least I think so.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, June 06, 2016 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I think the guys in hats are angels.They do seem to be immortal in a pretty spectacular way. AFTER they were dismembered, put in that trunk which was buried, we saw them talking to the sheriff.

They were the same two guys that approached that church/shack in Africa after that preacher exploded. They were wearing different hats that time...I remember the tall one was wearing a pith helmet.

That contraption they put on the preacher seemed like something to lure/pull that mysterious force back out of him. When that didn't work, they were going to open him up with a chainsaw to get to it when Cassidy came to the rescue.

Ever since I learned from Talking Preacher that the preacher's name, Jesse Custer, is an anagram for "Secret Jesus", I have seen all this stuff in religious mythology terms.

After that mysterious force entered the preacher, it stayed because (*I* believe) Jesse is a flawed but genuinely righteous man who has done bad things but wants to atone.

That mysterious force has given him the power to control minds and so far, he has only used it for good...making that pedophile forget about the little girl on the bus and possibly getting that comatose girl to open her eyes...both of which could be interpreted as "miracles".

The vampire hunters on the airplane were biblically motivated as evidenced by the bible with all the crazy notations that Cassidy found in the bathroom. (Btw, that was a HUGE bathroom for an airplane! :-))

I think the girl that wants him to be bad is really just wanting to rekindle their sexual relationship and criminal partnership. She is temptation personified for a man who is already having difficulty redeeming himself.

That mysterious force could be the power of god, or the spirit of the second coming. (If it's actually the second coming....I have even wondered if the new messiah is too young to return, but, like many teenagers, rebelled and ran away from home and god sent a couple of cowboy-hat-wearing angels to retrieve him! lol)

Whatever the force is (power of heaven or power from hell) this show has gotta be about religion rather than aliens or monsters. Of course, that doesn't mean there can't be aliens or monsters hanging around this world (or that god himself isn't actually an alien!):-)

This is just my take on it. After watching the premiere, I saw Talking Preacher and then rewatched the premiere and it suddenly made a whole lot more sense to me. That's how my interpretation of this show came together.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, June 06, 2016 - 11:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Btw, even if I am totally wrong about my interpretation of this show, I still love it. It makes me think and there's so much going on, I'm open to just about anything that comes next.

It's making sense (to me) now. Even if I'm ultimately wrong about the mysterious force, I can watch it without feeling confused....until they do something that can't fit into my theory. (Of course, if my theory is right, then they can do anything they want and it will fit because of that whole "god works in mysterious ways thing...)

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, June 06, 2016 - 11:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Ah, I like that interpretation. I thought the two guys thought Jesse was the vampire, and were doing something to take the vampireness out of him, and when that didn't work were going to take his heart (like when you stake vampires to kill them). The two guys reappearing was just confusing me.

Also the "temptation" angle gives more reason for Tulip to be trying to lead the preacher away from good.

Did anyone see Misfits? UK show about teenage, well, missfits who had supernatural powers. The guy who plays Cassidy in it was pretty hapless but likeable, so I am finding it hard to accept his ninja skills and violence without laughing, although I think that's actually what the writers intend too.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, June 06, 2016 - 6:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Sanfran, can I come sit and watch this with you and you can give your great interpretations during each commercial??!!!:-)

Who were the people from 1888?

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 3:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
LOL Pamy, many of my impressions about this show come later after I've watched it. This is one show that is really sticking with me hours and days later. Maybe that's because it's more original than most.

I have no idea who the 1881 people were, but I did see a connection. The woman told him he "had" to go somewhere and she also looked scared when she told him "Come back to us". I got the impression he was going to a scary dangerous place to get some kind of medicine for the sick girl.

The old man passed by a tree full of hanging dead bodies and dead body parts and next to that tree was a sign that read "Towne of Ratwater".

I am fairly certain that's the same tree where Cassidy buried the box of cowboy-hat-guy parts! :-)

Based on the presence of that tree, it appears to me that the town that "Preacher" is set in could've been called "Ratwater" a long time ago. Maybe it's an evil place.

For a small town, it does seem to have a lot of bad elements...criminals, a wife beater, a pedophile, a vampire, not to mention that mysterious force from outer space and two hat clad immortals who seem to be trying to retrieve it!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 3:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The hanging bodies were scalped too, or the one they focused on was. I think it must be the Preacher's town too, and I expect we will see it develop in future flashbacks.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 6:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
ahhhh that makes sense! The scalped guy looked like an Indian to me.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 10:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Hmmm not sure I have enough energy for this show. I like Jessie and Cassidy but the rest is just a little too much hard work.