TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 21, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: PBS Shows - General: Archive through June 21, 2016 users admin

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 4:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Oh Kappy, you are in for a real treat. The show is wonderful and there are so many quirky characters in Port Wenn, not to mention Martin Clunes superb portrayal of Doc Martin. :-)

Rissa

03-19-2006

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 5:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Try to track down the original 3 Doc Martin made-for-tv movies that proceeded the series. Very different character!!! In those movies he was still Doc Martin but Doc Martin Bamford instead of Ellingham and that character was first seen as a minor character in a Movie called: Saving Grace starring Craig Ferguson and Brenda Blethyn (sp.?) which was about a widow who turns to growing pot to raise money.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 7:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Yes, I saw one of those Rissa but didn't enjoy it as much as the series.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 7:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Yup Rupert, I have found that folks who saw the movies first, enjoyed them... and those who had seen an episode or two of the show prior to the movies, did not so much. I saw them all in order and found the evolution of the character fascinating.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Friday, May 20, 2016 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I think Frontline is a PBS show, isn't it? Sometimes I'm so surprised by their reports and the last one on how Isis was created was astonishingly frank, both Bush and Obama were equally blamed, one for starting the mess and the other for not doing enough to stop it.

But how soon we forget, without this well made documentary I would have dismissed a lot of details that explain so well what the heck happened. Bravo!!

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, May 20, 2016 - 9:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Yes it is, and frontline and point of view are not popular shows in the government circles, I have heard.
Just remember a lot of people in both parties are neo-cons now. They think that war is the answer to everything.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Friday, June 17, 2016 - 6:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Endeavour is back this Sunday (on my PBS out of NY)

Scout

01-19-2005

Friday, June 17, 2016 - 6:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Does anyone know if/when they are going to show season two of Home Fires?

Rieann

08-26-2006

Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 11:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Jasper, I'll bump the thread for Endeavour with that news. Thanks!

Scout, Home Fires just aired April/May in the UK. Not sure when it will air in US/Canada.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
For any Vicious fans there will be an hour special tomorrow night (yay). I think it will be a series wrap-up.

See Ramsey Bolton (GoT) as you've never seen him before... a sweetheart! Ha Ha

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 2:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I love Vicious, I hope it isn't a series finale.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Any other Call the Midwife fans? I really enjoy this show which rather surprised me as I find midwifery and birth to be a rather icky mess. I know it is natural but so are snot and diarrhea and I don't' like seeing those either, lol. I' m not a heartless shrew, I find it astounding and miraculous that suddenly there is a new person here in the world. I never thought there was anything wrong with the stork story.

My mother had a big scar that looked like a zipper across her abdomen. I always thought they just unzipped it. Then the dog had puppies. My sister told me the grisly details. I called her a liar and told my mom. She informed of the truth. The horror!

Scout

01-19-2005

Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 2:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Rieann. I am so anxious for season 2. I heard the series has been cancelled but they have a petition to try to bring it back.

Sugar - Call the Midwife is one of my very favorite shows. The sisters and nurses are all so kind and so giving, and compassionate.
And very non-judgemental.
No other show like it, really.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 5:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Scout it really is a lesson and reminder in kindness, gratitude and compassion. I can't think of a single episode I didn't like. I miss the Chummy character and hope they can arrange a schedule where she returns. I stumbled upon a spoiler for this past series a couple weeks before it was shown.

I just rewatched all but the last series (not available) on Netflix and enjoyed them all over again.

I really wish British TV series were the standard 22 that we have in the USA vs about 8 episodes. Frankly I don't think 22 is enough, that's what 4 1/2 months. I feel extra cheated by the 13 episode shows.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 11:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Chummy is coming back next season. I am assuming that she's leaving the home for unwed mothers and is coming back to take Sister Evangelina's place.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 12:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Roteach, that is great news. I know we see Peter but I miss Chummy and really like them together.
I can't recall exactly what issues Chummy had with Freddie's birth but I wonder if they can or will have more kiddles.

Scout

01-19-2005

Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 7:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I can't wait to have Chummy back again. Sister Evangeline's death is going to leave such a hole, although Phyllis is a somewhat similar personality and might help fill the void.

Sugar- I just finished rewatching them all on Netflix, too, and it's interesting how they've handled characters coming and going but the show still always felt the same.
I wish they had more episodes per season, too. But this is the only show I know where each episode almost feels like an entire movie in that you feel so connected to the characters and their stories.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 9:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I watch Call the Midwife again and again. Rarely is there an ep that I don't have tears in my eyes for some reason or an other. I've been PVRing it all again on another Can.station that airs a lot of PBS series.

And I love Home Fires. That is disappointing that they cancelled it. I hope it gets saved. I'm looking forward to watching Endeavor tomorrow. It seems like ages ago when we left Thursday hanging in the balance.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, June 20, 2016 - 5:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I liked Homes Fires and was looking forward to seeing another season.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Monday, June 20, 2016 - 6:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Yes, Call The Midwife has a soft spot in my heart, cos it reminds me of when we first moved to England, when I was a child, so it's a walk down memory lane for me. :-)

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, June 20, 2016 - 8:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I think Home Fires is doing a second series of another 6 episodes.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, June 20, 2016 - 8:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I didn't see Chummy this last season.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, June 20, 2016 - 8:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Oh never mind, she's coming back next season. We have a looong wait.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Monday, June 20, 2016 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
I watched Vicious last night, after I saw it mentioned here.

While I simply adore Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi, both such talented actors and there were some very sweet moments interspersed, I found the writing of the show somewhat lacking.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 9:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
Did anyone watch the first episode of The Tunnel...it was so well done, a great mystery. Can't wait for episode 2.