TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
The Night Of.... on HBO

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Night Of.... on HBO users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through August 15, 2016Naja25 08-15-16  11:56 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, August 15, 2016 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I'm wondering about Naz's new "image." I wonder if it was a comment on judging a book by its cover. First he looked like such a "good boy" but now he's cut his hair, got some tattoos (what was he thinking doing that while on trial?!) and looks more like a stereotypical troublemaker.

Yet he's the same kid, obviously. Are they suggesting that he hid who he was by dressing to please his family, and we were fooled into thinking he was a sweet guy because of his appearance? Or are they saying how easy it is to change how people think about you by something as simple as clothing/body art, when underneath you're the same person?

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, August 15, 2016 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Kitt, I think it's it's showing how prison changes him. Of course, that could just be misdirection.

There are only 2 episodes left and I don't see how it has time to come to a conclusion. They just started the court proceedings. Do you guys think this is another trick on us? Tell us it's limited, and there is magically a season 2?

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, August 15, 2016 - 1:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Now that they've introduced the motive that the stepfather had for killing her, that might (and should) be enough to get Naz off the hook.

But I'm predicting that even after he's cleared of the crime, the series will end with him adopting the criminal lifestyle (because he's become so influenced by his protector/mentor while at Riker's). The point being that the exposure to prison has wiped out any "straight life" hopes he had in the past. I hope it DOESN'T end that way (I want him to go back to being nice & friendly Naz), but turning him into a criminal will make for a more powerful drama. Just my two cents.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, August 15, 2016 - 2:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
That would be a good story, to show how he is forever changed. It's hard to see how he couldn't be.

I think they have to find another person to be the murderer to finish it so quickly. If it was just a more could not prove guilty kind of trial it would stretch out longer than two episodes.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 8:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I think only one more episode -- this Sunday? Are they going to tie it up or leave us hanging for another season?

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, August 26, 2016 - 2:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
According to this L.A. Times story, it looks like this season will be a stand-alone story. There should a second season - assuming the ratings stay strong enough -- but it'll be a different storyline.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-the-night-of-tca-20160730-snap-story.html

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, August 26, 2016 - 8:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I keep thinking that somehow Naz will be acquitted in Andrea's murder....but he'll wind up being charged with killing someone in prison.

As the story progresses we finally see evidence that provides a strong motive for the stepfather being the killer. But while the case may be possibly starting to turn in Nasir's favor, he is getting more and more deeply involved in this very dangerous prison culture. He's now part of a drug smuggling business and he played a part in the "distraction" of a prison guard when his protector slit the throat of that guy in front of the TV. I think his prison experience will be his demise, not the accusation of murder that put him there in the first place.

I have pretty much lost hope for any kind of happy ending. Everything about this case has just been slowly propelling him towards the expectation of a lifetime in prison. A happy ending, as much as I'd like to see one, would just feel out of place at this point, IMO.

This just feels like the story of an innocent man transforming into a guilty man as he's being tried for a crime he didn't commit. The real criminal here is "the system".

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 4:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I just noticed that tonight's finale is almost 2 hours long. That gives me a little relief that there's time to work out a decent ending.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 11:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The whole last 10 minutes I was so tense, I was sure something bad was going to happen.

Poor Naz. Not sure what else to say, a life forever changed.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, August 29, 2016 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Lol, Kitt ~ same here. I thought for sure Naz would be killed in some form before actually getting released and getting home. With each door he went through, I kept expecting someone to be there to take him out.

I was very frustrated with this show from the get go but I will say that they did an excellent job of the ending. This is the way "mini series" are suppose to end - with an actual ending as opposed to so many on tv now such as The Dome and Zoo that say they're a limited series and then they aren't.

My frustration with this show was how they wrote the story and the timeline. Within weeks of getting to prison, he becomes a meth addict?

Yes, I get how prisons work from the guards to the prisoners and that didn't surprise me but the speed with which they indoctrinated the character of Naz to it was a bit much. Yes, I understand the point of what it does to a person to be in there but it frustrated me just the same at the speed with which they wrote it.

I was also disappointed with his character in the end that he held a grudge against his mother for her doubts rather then telling his family how sorry he was for putting them through this. It was his actions after all that created the situation.

That said, Riz Ahmed and John Turturro and the rest of the cast were amazing!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, August 29, 2016 - 4:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I'm so glad that Naz didn't wind up killing someone in prison. That really did feel like it was heading to me because he was on a dead end road once he entered that jailhouse. The story ended on a much better note than I expected, but it still wasn't even close to a "happy ending".

This series presented an excellent indictment of "the system", though. It took a good man and, in the process of trying to convict him for a crime he didn't commit, irrevocably changed him into something else. Naz is now "free" to live his life under a cloud of suspicion as a drug drug addict without the trust and respect he once had from his friends and family.

Ultimately this was a totally compelling drama with excellent casting, writing, and directing but it really was a sad and depressing story. Sometimes "winning" isn't enough. He wasn't found guilty, but the way his life has forever changed can't be considered "justice" either.

I think this story will stick with me for a long time.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, August 29, 2016 - 9:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Riz Ahmed was on Stephen Colbert tonight. Colbert said he hasn't seen last episode of The Night Of as yet so said next to nothing about the show. Very good interview. He's British.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, August 29, 2016 - 10:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thank you so much, Color, for the tip about the Colbert appearance. I've got it all set to record!

I just now finished the finale. Such a relief Naz wasn't physically hurt. But, whoo-boy, how deeply shattered his psyche turned out to be! And so many lives extremely wounded: the parents, the brother, the naive defense attorney and the John Stone attorney. The ray of hope provided by the salvation of the cat was so welcome amidst the tsunami of sadness! 😪

Abby7

07-17-2002

Monday, August 29, 2016 - 11:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
Color another thank you. Just set it too.

We started watching this late. Dh just went to bed (he has to get up for work tomorrow.) Still have 45 min to go.

I may watch the end w/o him.....but I will be so tempted to tell him ending. Dh and I are such opposites re "spoilers". I can't believe him ....he wants to wait to find out the ending. Lol j/k

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 5:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
There was a quick promo ad for Riz being on Colbert during CBS This Morning yesterday. (I've come to really like it as opposed to the two other network morning shows.) TiVo synopsis for last night's Colbert was generic -- nothing about guest appearances.

Tvwatcher

04-16-2004

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tvwatcher a private message Print Post    
I can't take credit for this - I read it on another forum:

maybe there will be a sequel

Better Phone Stone

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 9:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Tvwatcher said "maybe there will be a sequel

Better Phone Stone"

----

OMG, that would be an awesome show, Tvwatcher! Who doesn't love John Turturro?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: