TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 19, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Premieres (Scripted TV Shows): ARCHIVES: Archive through May 19, 2016 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 4:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Rupertbear, it's airing on 4 different channels at the same time. I think A&E is one.

eta: ok I know 3 of them...A&E, History, and Lifetime.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 4:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Oh, thanks for the heads up, Naja. I do have A & E! :-)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I always find it curious when they remake a historical movie or show. It's not like they need better special effects or they want to show improved technology. Anyway, I'll probably have a look (which is of course why they are remaking it). Is the original available to watch as well?

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 5:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I don't see the original available except for pay on-demand, Jimmer. My listings only go to the 24th right now, but I have a feeling someone will air the original before Memorial Day.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
I often think it's just sheer laziness or lack of imagination, that they remake movies. Most of the time the original was far superior, anyway.

Oh, as with artist's who remake someone else's song...that irks me.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 5:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I agree Repertbear2. My husband and I often lament the lack of imagination. I am also peeved by the trite humor, usually of the potty variety, pandering to the lowest denominator.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 6:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Yes, Sugar!

Sometimes I feel that maybe I'm being too picky, but honestly, most of what is on tv these days is rubbish...lol.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 6:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
well, they restage plays all the time, some people want a chance at a role of a life time.

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
Probably there are people that never saw the original Roots, so this will be new to them.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 7:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
it will never be the same as we experienced it in the 70s. Most everyone in America watched that mini series weekly. I remember being embarrassed to be white when I went to school the day after the first ep. I think many of us had read about slaves and the history but seeing it was so much more horrifying than reading about it.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 8:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Pamy, I watched the original Roots back in the 70s when it was on (in black and white--we didn't have color yet!). It was on every night for a week! It was a real commitment to watch something like that in those days, cause VCRs weren't yet common.

It was truly landmark television. Why I'm not interested in watching the remake.

I just checked Wikipedia and found this:

Roots originally aired on ABC for eight consecutive nights from January 23 to January 30, 1977. My mom and I watched every single episode.

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 9:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
I'm thinking this Roots is geared towards a younger generation so I am also thinking most of us that watched the original will probably pass on the remake. It will be new for a lot of people.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
With the combination of being on a cable channel now and the rules about what can be shown on TV being much more lax after 40 years, I bet it will have things from the book they weren't allowed to have before. I am looking forward to seeing.

I only just saw the original a couple years ago. I remember all the adults watching it when I was a kid.

Panda

07-15-2005

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
Same here, Naja! I remember it being on but I was quite young. It aired on a cable channel during a long weekend a few years ago and I watched it then.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Roots came on my freshman year in college. I can remember everyone crowding into the lounge to watch it on tv. (No one had tv's in their rooms) Not only was it an amazing show, the experience of all of us..men/women, black/white all crammed in watching together is what I remember most.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 5:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That is what was really cool about the old days. Because there was no recording/time shifting/streaming people had to watch and experience shows at the same time. It was a mutually shared experience and that is missing today.

At least now with Twitter, some shows are getting the actors to tweet live when the show airs and that is getting people to share more again.

In a way technology has both isolated us and brought us together.

Vickie

07-16-2004

Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 8:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vickie a private message Print Post    
I graduated in '77 so I understand all of this and real time watching. A whole group of us would get together at a friends house and watch shows like SNL & Mary Hartman/Mary Hartman. There were other shows too but it was a group gathering and we would enjoy the times. Boy so much has changed and so much has stayed the same. I feel I have done a circle. I am back to antenna like the old days and splash in technology. Jimmer I like how you worded it.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 12:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
This looks promising for us horror fans.

Dead of Summer premieres June 28 on Freeform (the old ABC Family channel).

“Set in the late 1980s, school is out for the summer and a sun-drenched season of firsts beckons the counselors at Camp Clearwater, a seemingly idyllic Midwestern summer camp, including first loves, first kisses—and first kills. Clearwater’s dark, ancient mythology awakens, and what was supposed to be a summer of fun soon turns into one of unforgettable scares and evil at every turn.”

There are 3 teaser trailers on this page.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3390435/slasher-series-dead-summer-receives-trio-promos/

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 2:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
On Showtime tonight there is a movie I have been waiting for.

The Stanford Prison Experiment

In this tense, psychological thriller based on the notorious true story, Billy Crudup stars as a Stanford University professor who, in 1971, cast 24 student volunteers as prisoners and guards in a simulated jail to examine the source of abusive behavior in the prison system with astonishing results that reveal the dark side of power and the effects of imprisonment.

http://www.sho.com/sho/movies/titles/3420843/the-stanford-prison-experiment

I saw a special where people from the actual experiment were interviewed and it was very intriguing and scary.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, May 16, 2016 - 8:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
It wasn't near as good as all the hype ^^^^

The only thing that made bearable to watch for me was that it was a true story.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
New this fall on NBC -- This Is Us.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 9:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Here is the link to all the new CBS shows this fall.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/cbs-fall-preview-2016/news/1005234/get-a-first-look-at-the-2016-2017-cbs-primetime-lineup/

New Fall 2016 CBS Shows

The new fall comedies include:

KEVIN CAN WAIT, starring Kevin James as a newly retired police officer who faces tougher challenges at home with his wife and three kids than he ever did on the streets.

MAN WITH A PLAN, starring Golden Globe Award winner Matt LeBlanc as a contractor who starts spending more time with his kids when his wife goes back to work and discovers the truth every parent eventually realizes: his little angels are maniacs.

THE GREAT INDOORS, starring Joel McHale as a renowned adventure reporter for an outdoor magazine who becomes the desk-bound boss to a group of eager millennials in the publication’s digital edition.

The new fall dramas include:

BULL, starring Michael Weatherly as a brilliant and charming trial consultant.

MACGYVER, an origin story of the classic action-adventure drama series starring Lucas Till and George Eads.

PURE GENIUS, starring Dermot Mulroney and Augustus Prew in a medical drama about a Silicon Valley billionaire superstar who enlists the world’s best medical minds to work in his state-of-the-art hospital.

In addition, two new series are set to premiere later in 2016-2017, including:

TRAINING DAY, a crime drama that begins 15 years after the events of the successful feature film, starring Bill Paxton as a hardened, morally ambiguous detective for the LAPD, and Justin Cornwell as a young, idealistic officer tapped to go undercover as his trainee to spy on him.

DOUBT, a legal drama starring Katherine Heigl, Steven Pasquale, Dulé Hill and Laverne Cox, about an attorney who begins to fall for her charismatic client accused of murdering his girlfriend.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 9:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Training Day is one of my all time favorite movies. I can't even imagine making it into a movie. We'll see how it goes.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 9:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The Fall schedule for the major networks has been announced, although it always changes a bit over the summer.

Link here: http://tvline.com/2016/05/16/fall-tv-schedule-2016-fox-network-abc-primetime-cbs-shows/

And then this link goes straight to a pdf of the schedule, should anyone desire to print it out...
https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/falltvgrid2016-r51.jpg

I usually have Monday night and Thursday night really full, but it doesn't look too bad for me this time.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 2:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I am wondering if Kevin James' new comedy, "Kevin Can Wait", is going to be like a "King of Queens 2.0".
I loved KoQ so it's something I wouldn't mind.

The 5 minute preview looks like a blast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuNcS1-Xpxs