TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 28, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Family: Archive through March 28, 2016 users admin

Smokey

07-07-2003

Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 10:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smokey a private message Print Post    
I hope there isn't already a thread for this. I looked and did not see one, but could have missed it.

Is anyone watching? I watched the first episode (partly because I like Andrew McCarthy) with the thought that I probably wouldn't like it, but ended up being sucked in right from the start. The 2nd episode was on tonight and still very good suspense drama.

Right now, I am sort of thinking that Andrew McCarthy could potentially be Adam's father. Maybe far fetched but the thought came into my head.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Monday, March 07, 2016 - 6:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Ive recorded 2 episodes so far but haven't watched yet.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, March 07, 2016 - 8:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Didn't care much for first episode. Too dark. Husband and detective in clincher at the end. What's new? Not a fan of Joan Allen. Don't know why. Didn't bother with it last night.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, March 07, 2016 - 11:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I liked it a lot. I'm intrigued!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 6:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Haven't watched yet but I'm planning to give it a look.

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 5:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I like it a lot, too! Definitely not sure where they're going with it.

Smokey

07-07-2003

Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 7:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smokey a private message Print Post    
Yeah, definitely dark and that's why I didn't think I'd like it. So far, I'm in.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 1:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
DH and I watched the first two episodes today. They really kept our interest so I think we'll probably stick with it for a while to see what happens. I am really curious about what the daughter has done since her real confession 10 years ago. Well, besides hiding all of her dad's infidelities from their mother.

Puttergirl

08-11-2000

Monday, March 14, 2016 - 5:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puttergirl a private message Print Post    
Who's watching? It's getting good. Everyone has secrets.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 12:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I am really curious about what the daughter has done since her real confession 10 years ago."

I thought maybe that was referring to when she and her father carried out a plan to frame the neighbor 10 years ago. She snuck into the neighbor's house and planted Adam's ship-in-a-bottle in his bureau. And at some point she asked her father "Did you do it?" I assume she was referring to him making the fake 911 call to get the cops into the neighbor's house to find it.

Of course, I think they all have a lot more secrets that will come out and shift suspicion to everyone in the show. The way this story is unfolding, it reminds me a lot of "Secrets and Lies" (starring Ryan Phillipe and Juliette Lewis) that aired last year.

I'm really liking it. I already have a theory of what happened, although I'm just basing it on a plot from an "Elementary" episode (season 4, episode 7, named "Miss Taken"), so I am probably wrong, unless the writers in Hollywood are just being incredibly lazy and stealing plots from other shows. :-)

----

Edited to add - Oops! I just realize I was commenting on a post that was made before the latest episode! Gettin' old...

Tvwatcher

04-16-2004

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tvwatcher a private message Print Post    
I'm loving this show too! and it does remind me of Secrets and Lies, but I find The Family a bit more intriguing!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 9:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Something is really shady with the mom. The microchip thing, the lab, and... she's a politician.

Smokey

07-07-2003

Monday, March 21, 2016 - 10:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smokey a private message Print Post    
Yes, something so strange with the mom. And count me as another who doesn't care for Joan Allen. Andrew McCarthy's character is sure interesting. I feel sorry for him and creeped out by him, both.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
The promos said that next week we'll find out if Adam is truly their son.

I believe he is. I think he's so damaged he's just been trying to teach himself how to be the normal kid he sees in the photos and home movies....the kid he used to be but barely remembers.

Also, if he's not their real son, it would change the entire dynamic of the show. The family would just go back to being the mourning family whose son was taken.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 11:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I agree, SFJ, I think he is their son.

Puttergirl

08-11-2000

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 1:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puttergirl a private message Print Post    
I think they may find he's her's, but not his. Just a hunch.

Smokey

07-07-2003

Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 10:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smokey a private message Print Post    
Putergirl I think the same thing.

Puttergirl

08-11-2000

Friday, March 25, 2016 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puttergirl a private message Print Post    
I just had a really crazy idea. What if the real father is Andrew McCarthy across the street? They did seem to have a bond working over the boat in The bottle

Smokey

07-07-2003

Friday, March 25, 2016 - 9:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smokey a private message Print Post    
Puttergirl, read the last paragraph of my first post in this thread. 😂

Ruthamc

05-09-2011

Monday, March 28, 2016 - 6:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ruthamc a private message Print Post    
After last night's episode, above theories are looking promising.

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, March 28, 2016 - 8:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Also, if he's not their real son, it would change the entire dynamic of the show. The family would just go back to being the mourning family whose son was taken.

I agree with this and all of you. There wouldn't be much of a story left if Adam wasn't their son. And we know from the way she acts that the mom is hiding her own secrets which we haven't found out about yet.

The whole thing with Hank at the bakery. That's the first time I ever saw anyone literally "have their cake and eat it, too".

I especially love the background music. It's really intense without beating you over the head with it. I find it so hauntingly beautiful.
The music always makes a movie or tv show for me and this is the best I've heard in a long time.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, March 28, 2016 - 1:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think when they said it wasn't Adam they meant it. Not just some trick that he wasn't the dad's but was the mother's with someone else (like Hank). I think it's actually some taken boy who saw a picture of Adam and wanted to be wanted and decided to be him.

That cake eating was funny! And the server lady didn't seem that phased by it! It looked impossible but then he started to eat from the middle and it seemed like he could actually make quite a dent in it if he wanted to!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, March 28, 2016 - 2:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I'm thinking we should keep in mind that earlier in the season when Hank first realized he was under suspicion for abducting Adam, he rushed down to his basement and scrubbed it down with bleach.

Hmmmmm...if this kid isn't Adam after all (which now seems to be the case) then I'm back to my "plot-stolen-from-an-Elementary-episode" theory.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, March 28, 2016 - 5:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Didn't the reporter test Adam's DNA against the father's only? Adam's cotton swab against the DNA from John's coffee cup. So it does work with the theory that Adam is not John's son. He could still be Adam and the original DNA cover up was done by shady mom to cover the paternity issue.

Or it could be like the Elementary episode.

Or Adam and "fake Adam" were both kidnapped by pockmark man. I keep expecting the real Adam to show up in pockmark man's hidden basement.

Or, I have no idea.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, March 28, 2016 - 5:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Didn't the reporter test Adam's DNA against the father's only?"

Did they? I must've missed that. I was just assuming they were comparing the DNA sample from that cotton swab in the trash in Adam's room to a sample of Adam's DNA they still had in evidence from when he vanished ten years ago. (I guess I also just assumed that they got a sample of his DNA from his toothbrush or something 10 year ago.)

Either way, I guess it's all still up for debate! That's what I should have been assuming....that anything they find could still open to interpretation pending further evidence.