TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 25, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Return of...The X-Files!: Archive through January 25, 2016 users admin

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 2:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
The X-FILES

ufo

Well, the new 6 episode run of the X-Files starts tomorrow (Sunday night) on FOX! (I think even the Lone Gunman will return to make an appearance!)

So...heads up!

x-fi
http://www.fox.com/the-x-files
(Both images from this link)

In SF, Part 1 of the premiere airs at 7pm Sunday night following an NFL playoff game and a half hour after-game show. I set the TIVO to add an extra hour...those games never end on time. (I am just assuming it's LIVE)

And don't forget that tomorrow, Monday, Jan 25, Part 2 of the premiere will air!

Wargod

07-16-2001

Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 2:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
I'm downright giddy, lol.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 12:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I was just coming here to see who was going to watch the X-files, LOL.

Back during the original days, I watched this with my Mom, over different time zones and states. It is a nice memory, we would discuss the episodes, it was one of the few things that we had in common during that time, so it was fun.

So fun that it is coming back.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm looking forward to it too!

Though I heard that the third show is where it gets good.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 12:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Starts immediately following the football game in all time zones. As Sanfran mentioned, who knows for sure exactly when so be careful if recording.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 12:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the heads up! I hate when the networks mess with our start and end times. They don't seem to understand the concept of the DVR. Ugh.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 1:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Starts immediately following the football game in all time zones."

The schedule in SF shows that it starts 30 min after the game ends (?)....there is a half hour after-game analysis show from 6:30 to 7, followed by the X-Files premiere part 1. Who knows...maybe that after-show is meant to be a buffer to fill up the rest of that half hour if the game runs over so the X-Files will start on time at 7pm.

Bottom line - I just don't trust them to get it right when a highly anticipated show follows a live game! :-)

Oh yeah...I read somewhere that the 1st and 6th episodes deal mainly with the show's mythology, but the ones in between are mainly the monster-of-the-week shows.

And I saw on the schedule there is a repeat of that 30 minute special, "The X-Files Re-Opened" at 2:30 pm (in SF).

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 7:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I'm very excited. I was an XFiles fan club member. I have Scully and Mulder action figures. :-) Can't wait!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 9:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Sooooo good! It over ran by 30 minutes here, some people are going to be mad! We were lucky that we tried to start watching at about 7.30, so had time to change the recording to pad.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, January 25, 2016 - 1:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
I didn't get the chance to watch tonight because of the odd time for it, but I do have it dvr'd.

Heh, way back when, I had a group of friends and we used to go out at least once a week. Movies, clubs, that kind of things. One of the guys lived across the street from me and we went over to get him one night he'd had to work late. Turns out his mom was a woman we (me and one of the other girls) worked with, had no clue. Anyway, while we waited for him to shower and change, we set down to chat with his mom only to be shushed. And before long, both of us were sucked into this weird creepy show about FBI agents and clone girls (Eve.) Totally hooked.

And Dipo, once I moved out, mom called every week to watch the X-Files over the phone, lol. In fact, tonight, she refused to watch it and said she'd wait til me and Darren had the time to watch it with her.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Monday, January 25, 2016 - 8:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I watched it and loved it. From the first familiar haunting notes of the theme song to the final shot of the Smoking Man, it was such a trip!

Calamity

10-18-2001

Monday, January 25, 2016 - 10:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
The gift of lowered expectations - I'd seen headlines panning the previews (didn't read the full articles) so while my hopes were high, I was prepared to be disappointed. I was really happy to be not let down.

For what was essentially a pilot episode, it was pretty darn good. Maybe a little overstuffed with exposition but they had to catch up on years' of plot & there are only 6 epis. If the storyline doesn't get too convoluted - and there's a real risk of that what with all the timely issues crammed into the conspiracy (plus the mysterious resurrection of Cancer Man) - it may erase some of the sour memories left from the last few seasons.

My wish list: classic Monsters-of-the-week (not too icky!) & a wise-cracking Mulder to balance his moodiness.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, January 25, 2016 - 10:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I thought the first episode was great fun! I thought they recapped the important things you need to remember quite well at the beginning. I had forgotten about his sister so I'm glad he mentioned it.

My only complaint was the constant complaining about the government. I couldn't help but think maybe that's why Trump is running for president as he might end up being one of the main evil lords behind all of this.

(just kidding)

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, January 25, 2016 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Don't forget there is another episode tonight!

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, January 25, 2016 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I am so disappointed. I didn't realize there was a game on before so I didn't get but a little recorded. Hoping I can find it online somewhere.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, January 25, 2016 - 12:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I had read bad reviews as well so had lowered my expectations, but I really enjoyed it. I loved the voice over getting us caught up. I'm just sad this is only going to be 6 eps!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, January 25, 2016 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Haven't watched it yet, have it on tape. I am planning to tape the second episode tonight and then watch them together. So glad everyone thought it was good.

LOL, love that your Mom is waiting Wargod.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, January 25, 2016 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Warning - don't read this if you haven't watched episode 1, part 1!

Back when I was watching the first 9 seasons, The X-Files had gotten so convoluted that I was hopelessly lost in the show's twisted mythology. There weren't any aliens? There were aliens? There were some kind of alien-possessed people with black ink in their eyes? The government was hiding this information? The government was unaware of this information? The government was in a conspiracy with the aliens to invade Earth? The government was trying to keep the aliens away? The government was experimenting on aliens? Blah Blah Blah.

Meanwhile back in the present...I loved how, in the first episode of season 10, Mulder figured it out and explained the first 9 whole seasons in just a couple of minutes! And it even makes sense!

My understanding of what Mulder said:

In 1947, the Roswell incident involved a real flying saucer piloted by a real alien that the military immediately shot and killed. The government kept the dead alien's body and his (or her) spaceship and any surviving technology.

So....since Roswell, the government has been reverse engineering the ship and any technology inside it and also experimenting with alien DNA. They keep the UFO rumors/sightings going to distract the population while they test the devices they made from that alien tech (including the ship we saw in this episode). They plan on taking over the world with all this secret and advanced technology and medical knowledge.

I figure that the alien DNA testing done on humans and the babies taken from abducted women could explain all the "monsters" that Mulder and Scully have encountered over the years. Who knows what kind of creations a human/hybrid could result in?

This theory of Mulder's explains the first 9 seasons perfectly! Mulder was fed misinformation when he discovered real information so he was being manipulated the whole time....just like I was and the rest of the viewers were when we were trying to follow the plot for 9 years! LOL

Anyhow, great start. Even if there have been no aliens on earth since the one that crashed in 1947...that still leaves the door open for them to show up again. Even if they don't, the alien tech and DNA is plenty to work with to keep this show exciting.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, January 25, 2016 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yep, I think the same, and they did explain it really well. The government are spreading a campaign of misinformation (and were using the X-Files to do it) to make people think maybe it's aliens, when all along it's been the government using alien dna to make their "supersoldiers" (remember them?!) and experiment on humans. Aliens exist, just not on Earth, except for the odd accidental crash or two ;).

I think the freaks they meet elsewhere, like the sewermonster thing, could just be "normal" dna aberrations though. Extreme ones of course, but just freaks of nature, not of science.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, January 25, 2016 - 4:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Some of the "monsters" seem to me to be way too weird to to be simple DNA mutations.

I do remember an episode about a serial killer guy who would go on a killing spree, then hibernate in a cocoon for 20 years and then return to kill some more.

They also dealt with a vampire at a trailer park...

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, January 25, 2016 - 5:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I enjoy your analysis so much, Sanfran. It actually makes watching these shows more enjoyable for me. So thanks.

It's so much more fun watching when we all discuss these shows here!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, January 25, 2016 - 5:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
:-)

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, January 25, 2016 - 5:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The cocoon guy!! Killed three people every time he woke up and then hibernated again!!

Yes, I guess they are too extreme for random dna mutations. They almost seem like they could be from Grimm. But hadn't Cocoon guy (for instance) been doing that for generations, much longer than the late 1940s, when humans first got alien dna? I think of them more as folklore.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, January 25, 2016 - 6:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I don't remember the details about cocoon guy but he is one of the two monsters that always come to mind when I think of the X-Files.

It's likely that a lot of them could be basic mutants and I'd bet there are some that wouldn't fall into either the alien or the basic mutant categories. One of their best was the incestuous crazy mother and sons...the mother had no arms or legs and was kept on a board hidden under the bed. That one turned to be run of the mill, crazy inbred hillbillies. I even remember the title of this one - "Home". wiki-link

The vampire episode was one my favorites. Mulder and Skully investigated a murder at a trailer park and the perp turned out to be a vampire. During the investigation they were helped by a local deputy. The episode centered around each them giving their reports on the case and we got flashbacks as Mulder then Skully told what happened. Aha! I found that episode ,too! It's called Bad Blood. wiki-link

It was one of the funniest episodes they did. For some reason I always remember one of the flashbacks with always-serious Skully doing an autopsy and rolling her eyes as she slapped a big liver onto the hanging scale in the autopsy room.

I hadn't realized how much I missed this show!

Calamity

10-18-2001

Monday, January 25, 2016 - 7:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Mulder: "Scientists say three species become extinct everyday. Who knows how many new ones are being created?"

Season 2 epi.