TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 19, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Colony - on USA & Bravo (Canada): Archive through January 19, 2016 users admin

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 6:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Just watched the pilot. It's Josh Holloway, people! First episode was a little confusing. I think the "invaders" are supposed to be aliens, but they haven't come out and said it yet. It took a bit to get into it, but it's kind of interesting. Boils down to

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
Josh (aka "Will Sullivan/Bowman") gets forced to collaborate with the invaders by infiltrating the resistance movement, while unbeknownst to him, his wife is part of the resistance. Looks good.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think they did confirm they were aliens, didn't they?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 8:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
It said it in the channel guide listing, but I don't recall them ever saying so in the show itself. I remember looking back at the channel guide listing to be sure.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 10:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Here's an interesting article that calls it "A Promising, Subversive Sci-Fi Thriller." Hoo boy. Who knew?

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/01/colony-review/424443/

They had me at Josh Holloway.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, January 18, 2016 - 1:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I think they did confirm they were aliens, didn't they?"

I don't think so, Kitt. Holloway said (I think it was on The Talk) that they were invaded by a "force" that was able to take over quickly and they had superior technology....and that even he doesn't know who or what they are.

I've read it put that way in other interviews also. It seems to me that they're working too hard to make the point that they are an unknown entity, while at the same time making it appear very alien (superior technology and the building of that gigantic wall so quickly and the cool flying drones that keep an eye on everyone). It just makes me think it's not aliens at all because they are so adamant about keeping it a mystery. I keep wondering if it's either our own government or China or Japan or some other country that has great technological development.

I don't think we'll learn who (or what) "they" are for quite awhile.....sort of like how we didn't learn what the island on Lost was for most of the series. I get the feeling this is really a character driven series like Lost and the mystery is just a MacGuffin.

----

MacGuffin
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not to be confused with MacGuffin (cipher).

"In fiction, a MacGuffin (sometimes McGuffin or maguffin) is a plot device in the form of some goal, desired object, or other motivator that the protagonist pursues, often with little or no narrative explanation. The specific nature of a MacGuffin is typically unimportant to the overall plot. The most common type of MacGuffin is an object, place, or person; other, more abstract types include money, victory, glory, survival, power, love, or some unexplained driving force.

The MacGuffin technique is common in films, especially thrillers. Usually the MacGuffin is the central focus of the film in the first act, and thereafter declines in importance. It may re-appear at the climax of the story, but sometimes is actually forgotten by the end of the story. Multiple MacGuffins are sometimes derisively identified as plot coupons.[1][2]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Monday, January 18, 2016 - 4:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
According to the Wiki, the invaders are aliens:

Wikipedia - Colony

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Monday, January 18, 2016 - 8:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I had the feeling too that the 'alien' overlords may well be quite human after all. Nobody has seen them, when people disappear to that factory, and they never come back to talk about it.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, January 18, 2016 - 10:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I was going by what Josh Holloway said on The Talk (live) on Tuesday. He claims he does not know who/what they are. Most places I've seen say thing like "...the aliens (we assume)...."

I'm more inclined to enjoy the character driven storyline than to solve the mystery of the who/what. The story would be the same whether it's Martians or Texans! :-)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 18, 2016 - 10:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
For Canadians who might have missed the premiere of Colony on Bravo, I found a link to a vid of the ep on the BRAVO site. :-)

http://www.bravo.ca/video/player?vid=774196

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, January 18, 2016 - 10:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I started watching and stopped after about 15 minutes, but later went back and got thoroughly hooked.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, January 18, 2016 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I didn't get anything from the show that explicitly said aliens. But the Comcast channel guide description did explicitly say aliens.

So, if they aren't, that's very misleading.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, January 18, 2016 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
This is what the Comcast listing says:

The premiere of the futuristic drama about an alien-occupied L.A.. First up: Will Sullivan attempts a daring rescue while Katie, his wife, tries to help a relative in need. In other events, a job opportunity threatens to divide the family.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, January 18, 2016 - 12:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It seemed pretty obvious to me that they are aliens.

Pretty good show though I must say that I'm influenced by Josh Hollowway being on it because Sawyer was one of my all time favorite characters.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, January 18, 2016 - 12:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Remember the word "alien" does not necessarily mean extra-terrestrial. I'm keeping my mind open to the possibilities.

Once again, I'm right there with you, OG. I almost deleted it about 15 minutes in, thinking it was just another alien-occupation story. But I stuck it out and actually ended up enjoying. I'm gonna see if there's a repeat somewhere so DH can watch it with me. He's not so into the aliens, but he might enjoy the conspiracy aspect.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, January 18, 2016 - 12:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
It's being repeated multiple times this week.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, January 18, 2016 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Babyj, I was just going to bring up the point that aliens can be ETs or Hungarians.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, January 18, 2016 - 3:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
An occupying force that is strong enough to overcome the regular U.S. government and build an enormous wall.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, January 18, 2016 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
It is being repeated several times this week. I set it up to record again tonight.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Monday, January 18, 2016 - 4:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
<<< snort >>>

What Jimmer said...

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, January 18, 2016 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
An enormous wall around several cities? Santa Monica appears occupied as well, right? They gave Will a "Santa Monica" ID to replace his LA ID.

And it seems to have happened very quickly. Too fast for Will to get his son out of Santa Monica and back to LA?

Spunky

10-07-2001

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 11:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
This series is aired on Bravo in Canada and I hope I just caught on time, I'm taping the next episode and they're repeating the previous one... let's see if I too like it or not...

Spunky

10-07-2001

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Mmm... the title of this thread could be misleading since the series can be viewed in Canada as well if you have Bravo..

06-29-2002

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Moderator a private message Print Post    
:-)

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 3:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Thanks. I didn't realize when I started this thread that it could be on more than one channel.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm happy it's on USA. Maybe they'll give it more of a chance to build an audience than one of the major networks would?