TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 03, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Mr Robot: Archive through September 03, 2015 users admin

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 8:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Well, Episode 6 (last week)... delusions!!

At the end of Episode 5, Elliot takes Darlene home after she's got upset about the Chinese hackers going back on their agreement. When he gets to his door, the dog is barking, and he tells Darlene that Shayla is watching the dog, and it probably needs walking. When he opens the door the dog is in there, alone, the place is a mess and Shayla's phone is on the floor. Where is Shayla? Da da daaaaa, end of episode.

Then the beginning of Episode 6 it's like that didn't happen, and Shayla and Elliot are having breakfast in a cute little breakfast diner. Shayla even says "it doesn't seem real!" They begin to talk about Vera and then the two gang people (Vera's brother and the other one is called DJ) stand up, DJ grabs Shayla and pulls her out, Brother takes Elliot to what looks to be the store room and tells him he's got to get Vera out of prison. And no one else seemed to notice a thing.

My thought is that scene was all Elliot's delusion. I think the last scene in Episode 5 actually happened, and it was simply that while Elliot was out with FSociety and Darlene, the gangsters came for him, found Shayla and took her. Or maybe Vera told them to take her too, but anyway, that's when Shayla was taken.

The whole breakfast diner scene is just Elliot's delusion, as a way of reconciling(???) the fact that Shayla is gone. At some point those two gangsters simply came back to his door, and told him what they wanted, and that they had Shayla.

Then I think the rest of the episode probably happened, except may the break out of prison scene.

The prison scene I don't know about. It really seemed as if the escaping prisoners, except Vera, completely ignored the potential getaway car, which seemed odd to say the least. But I think all the characters are real, so it's a case of whether the situation was delusion or not. I think not delusion, at least right now.

It all depends what happens next episode, which I will probably watch in a bit, but assuming Shayla is still gone, that story seems to be wrapped up. Vera said he couldn't operate his business without his brother, so he's just gone off, leaving Elliot alive, and presumably they'll be blamed for Shayla's death, and it will be linked to her selling drugs for him. Unless Elliot's fingerprints are in the system he just goes home, pretends nothing happened and goes a bit more crazy.

My guess, having seen the "next on," that the reason for the storyline in the show is just to make sure Elliot is a bit more unhinged and crazy, so his descent into whatever rabbit hole he's falling into, can proceed.

A side thought... when you're making a tv show, you can't just have some scenes real and some scenes not, it has to have some (semi-)coherent reason for what is what. That's why I think the prison break scene is probably real, because otherwise we have no clue what happened, and what good is a show that just makes stuff up and doesn't tell us why?

Also, a "wouldn't it be cool if..." Right now I think we see scenes with just Elliot, when he's his native personality; Elliot talking and Mr Robot hanging around, when Elliot needs Mr Robot's input but is still in control; Mr Robot talking and Elliot hanging round when Mr Robot becomes more dominant; how about if at some point Mr Robot is so dominant that Elliot goes (even if just for short periods of time) and all we see if Mr Robot and not Elliot?! I say this partly because in one of the "next on" scenes it looks like Mr Robot is very bad like Elliot can no longer control him and he's totally dominant.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 10:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Episode 7 they tried to trick us into thinking Shayla was alive! But no, just a flashback to show that Elliot got her into the relationship with Vera so he has good reason to think it is his fault she died.

Two cases of Mr Robot talking to the hackers alone, first Darlene in the bar and second to Romero in his weed growing lab. Romero said when he saw someone was in his lab he thought it was a "highschooler," I don't know if that was a hint to the audience that he looked like a highschooler (i.e. Elliot) even though to us he was in Christian Slater's body, or if he just meant that usually kids broke in. Also later on Mr Robot says "we both know I'm crazy," and Elliot has mentioned being crazy many times.

Right now I'm of the theory that when we see Mr Robot without Elliot then it's actually Elliot but the Mr Robot personality has taken over and the Elliot we normally see doesn't know what Mr Robot's doing, and afterwards will have periods of no memory.

I'm so interested in Elliot, partly interested in the Swedish guy's story (because it's so wild!) but not at all interested in Angela and Terry Colby. Unfortunately it feels like we are going to see more of those two stories and less of Elliot going forward.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 10:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Other plot points....

The Chinese contact they're now working with is called White Rose. I wonder if that is a suggestion that it's a white man (as opposed to Chinese) and will be someone we know.

Tyrrel, the Swedish guy, made an oopsie and got a little bit carried away. I presume from his response it was unintentional, although I can't see how he thought he would get away with strangling her that much and letting her live either. And will his wife freak out, or is that what she hoped for?! I guess it's one way to get back to being CTO.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 8:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

(not least of these questions is why White Rose was BD Wong in drag?????????)

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 8:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I watch this show and still can't tell so many people apart, so many of the characters look grim and similar, I keep getting the mixed up. SO I come here to read the analysis and hopefully can follow what is happening from that.

I can't imagine a growing audience for this as even following from the beginning is confusing.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 10:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I was afraid I'd scared everyone away from the thread by talking too much! The show seems to have a bit of a cult following, Sadiesmom, I think because it's very techy and reasonably (for tv shows) accurate in that regard.

Some things that were crazy last night:

Angela and Darlene are good friends - explained by later events

BD Wong looks fantastic as a female.

Everyone at Allsafe saw the FSociety video, this time voiced by Darlene (and note she didn't get Christian Slater to do it as Elliot was busy), so those are real (before I thought maybe no one saw them but Elliot)

Tyrrel met with Mr Robot (the Christian Slater Mr Robot), and said they "were meant to be allies." ?????? This has to be Elliot!! Had something happened between the bathroom scene with Tyrrel where Elliot planted the Raspberry Pi and now or.... in line with other events, was the bathroom scene with Tyrrel all a delusion, and actually they came to some sort of understanding, that's what seems more likely now.

Tyrrel's wife is as freaky as Tyrrel, stabbing herself to induce labour! (And if Swedish isn't the weirdest language I've ever heard I don't know what is, it was like they were a couple of canaries talking to each other!)

And the biggie: Darlene is Elliot's sister and he'd forgotten, "again." And Christian Slater is Elliot's father, and he'd completely wiped memories of him out of existence too! This explains Darlene's familiarity and trust in Elliot and explains how Darlene and Angela know each other. For me it also confirms that Mr Robot/Christian Slater isn't real, and is either a second personality of Elliot's (which is what I think, because of the missing time) or a delusion. Angela has said many times that Elliot's father died, everyone else knows he died, so he has to be dead. So Mr Robot cannot be real.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 10:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"(not least of these questions is why White Rose was BD Wong in drag?????????)"

I wondered if anyone else recognized BD Wong!:-)

But I didn't see that scene as "BD Wong in drag"....I just saw it as BD Wong playing a transgender woman known as "Whiterose".

Of course, it could've been just another one of Elliot's delusional "mix ups" where he gets confused about who's who. We now know how people in his life can get mixed up in his head when he's off his meds.

I'm now thinking maybe he's just a (barely) functioning schizophrenic and he sees an extremely disjointed view of the world.

Of course, towards the end of the episode when he got home and looked in the mirror while wearing that hoodie, he saw other faces looking back (also in the hoodie). Those faces were himself, followed by Tyrell (the Evil Corp whacko), Angela (blonde best friend and coworker), the masked fsociety man, a face I didn't recognize (screenshot below), and Mr Robot (AKA his father). Many of those faces flashed in and out multiple times. It seemed odd that Elliot saw all the main character's faces in the mirror...except Darlene's! And of course, this scene once again hints at multiple personalities since he was seeing them in a mirror wearing his clothes.

Anyhow, with all of Elliot's other delusional thinking, I am more and more on the fence about the split personality scenario. I don't think some of the faces he saw could've been other personailties...Tyrell and Angela for instance. I think maybe the people he interacts with are all mixed up in his head and he has trouble separating them into individuals. If he could become so confused about the identity of his own sister, he could be just as confused about everyone else in his life. He did once again mention that he was not taking his medication.

Here's the face in the mirror that I didn't recognize (from a screenshot):

face-mrrobot

However, I just did some googling to look for images of the Mr Robot cast while trying to identify that face I and found this photo of a man named Sam Esmail, the creator of "Mr Robot"! That is definitely the face in Elliot's mirror that I didn't recognize...so I figure it was just an "Alfred Hitchcock-like" cameo for the creator of the show.

sam-esmail
Image from http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/mr-robot-creator-ep-writer-sam-esmail-attends-tribeca-talks-news-photo/471293656

---------

Oh yeah....as soon as Elliot kissed Darlene and she immediately freaked out, I just knew it was his sister! Her repulsion screamed to me, "It's his sister!" before she even started asking him, "Did you forget who I was again?". It seemed to me that her reaction was too immediate and too strong for it to have been anything else.

Great episode!

I keep thinking if they reveal the explanation of Elliot's world by the end of this season, then next season might not be as interesting. It's a double edged sword. I really want to know the answer but if I know it, I worry that I'd no longer be pulled into Elliot's delusions to view the world as he does and that would totally change my perspective.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 10:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I didn't think about BD Wong being transgender but that does seem more realistic, he was just so feminine, not even a hint about it being an outfit, as it would be if he were in drag. I was expecting White Rose to be a female caucasian (because of the white), but they did at least get the female.

Thanks for going through the faces in the mirror! I spotted Angela and Christian Slater but not the rest. Sneaky Sam Esmail cameo! I think it was just a play with the split personality theme, and wasn't meant to suggest he was Angela or the others.

I wonder about next season too. This season has been so intriguing, but if we understand the intriguing part of it, are we going to be left with just some sort of anarchistic hacker show?

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 10:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I kind of recognized the voice, just couldn't place it until said here.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 10:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"but if we understand the intriguing part of it, are we going to be left with just some sort of anarchistic hacker show?"

I think if we learn Elliot actually has multiple personalities then next season could still be pretty good as he starts dealing with it. But if he's just delusional, it would just be about a delusional man living in a world that's confusing to him...and the viewers would just be watching Elliott being crazy rather than being drawn into his mixed up world.

Hey, I think I'm just so used to seeing great shows get bogged down and start to decline quickly that I expect the worst. <cough*Under the Dome*cough> :-) It's really rare that a great show stays just intriguing in the sixth season as it did in the first (like "Lost" did).

Anyhow, try not to get drawn into my paranoia about good television shows getting convoluted and ruined just to to keep them on the air. I don't want my pessimism to ruin it for you!
:-)

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 5:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Oh don't worry about that, your comments always add to my enjoyment of a show, not ruin it!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 8:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yey, we're officially NOT crazy!

Unfortunately Elliot is.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 1:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I cracked up when they made me think Mr Robot was real after all...he was the one character I was absolutely positive wasn't real! Of course, a bit later in the episode I was cracking up again when I learned he wasn't real at all.

I LOVE a show that keeps me guessing and has great writing to boot!

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 8:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I came here to figure out what happened last night, I had no understanding of what I was seeing at all, especially this whole sister thing.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 9:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Here's what I think we know:

Darlene and Elliot are brother and sister. They grew up with their mum and dad in the house that we saw this week. His dad, Edward (again, Christian Slater) ran a little computer repair business called Mr Robot, and he wore the jacket with the Mr Robot lapel thing that we see Christian Slater in now.

Some time in the late 90s when Elliot was 8 years old, Elliot's dad died of leukemia, as a result of something to do with E-Corp. Angela's mother died around the same time from a similar exposure due to E-Corp. Since then (or perhaps before then) Angela, Elliot and Darlene have been friends.

Fast forward 20ish years. Elliot has had some sort of issue (as yet unknown) that resulted in mandatory visits to the psychiatrist and drug treatment for whatever condition he has. All we know is that this issue had aggression, delusions, and he didn't recognise Darlene for a while, but lately he was doing okay. Three months ago, presumably about a month before the show starts, Darlene returned to whatever city it is that we're based in, and according to Angela, that's when things started to go downhill for Elliot.

Darlene and/or Elliot are kind of anarchists, a bit like the Occupy movement, and believe that big business control all the money, and if they could wipe clean everyone's debts (or something like that) then the world could be a better place. As E-Corp control most(?) of the banks they wanted to take them down (probably helped that they hated them anyway, for killing their dad) and hence they started the FSociety, the hacker group.

FSociety is Darlene, Elliot, the black guy, bigger guy, muslim girl (can't remember names). Note no "Mr Robot." At some point during the plotting to hack Evil Corp, Elliot started not taking his normal meds, and started using more and more morphine. When tough decisions needed to be made with the hacker group he started to either hallucinate or split into Mr Robot (a character like his father, although he didn't recognise him as his father) and let the Mr Robot personality deal with the tough situation. No one else saw Mr Robot, they always saw Elliot. When the Mr Robot personality completely took over Elliot wouldn't even know what Mr Robot had done, and had missing time.

... more after I take a phone call....

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 10:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
OK, last night, or some of the episode before...

So in his joy over the potential success of the plot with White Rose to wipe Evil Corp's servers, he tries to kiss Darlene, then realises she's his sister. Then realises Mr Robot is his dad! What he doesn't know at that point (end of last episode and most of this one) is that it's just his delusion, not his real dad. So he's mad at his dad for hiding his death, manipulating him into FSociety etc., but all along he's shouting at himself, or shouting inside his mind. Mr Robot "takes" him to his childhood home, the one where the real dad, 20 years ago, pushed Elliot out of the window (and we don't know the real reason for this, or even if Elliot just slipped, as we've only seen Elliot's interpretation of events, and that's not exactly reliable!). Elliot and Elliot (as Mr Robot) fight, Elliot pushes "Mr Robot" out of the window and helps him hobble to the graveyard... but what do we see at the graveyard? It's Elliot who's beaten up and bleeding, because it's Elliot who fell out of the window, because Elliot is Mr Robot.

And that's where Darlene and Angela, who, when Elliot went missing, thought he'd either go to his childhood home or his father's grave, find him, show us for sure that there is no Mr Robot, show us for sure that Mr Robot/Elliot's father died back in the last 90s, and make Elliot realise that all along he was Mr Robot!. And one thing I particularly like, he says to us, the imaginary person he talks to, that we knew it all along.

Things to think about:

. every time we've seen Mr Robot in the past it has been Elliot, the 28 year old. This includes when he put the gun to the black guy's head; when he forced Elliot/himself to be so cruel to Bill; when he spoke to Tyrrel in the car; in the FSociety crazy videos.

. as Elliot is err, having issues with reality, and we are seeing the whole show from his point of view, what we see isn't necessarily what actually happened, and what he says happened in the past isn't necessarily what happened either. Like I said about his dad pushing him out the window when he was a boy. First he thought it was because his dad was mad at him for revealing to his mum that he had leukemia, then last night the dad persona of Elliot's tried to persuade him it was all Elliot's doing, we don't know which, it either, is correct. And the Shayla/Vera affair: I still think the diner scene where Shayla is taken is completely imaginary, and she was just taken from her apartment the night before. The Men In Black are also most likely delusions.

Fascinating show!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 1:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
USA Network has pushed back the Season 1 finale of its freshman drama Mr. Robot, due to the tragic events that took place early Wednesday morning in Virginia.

The already renewed Mr. Robot was to wrap its run tonight at 10/9c; instead, the finale will air next Wednesday, Sept. 2.

In a statement, USA Network explained: “The previously filmed season finale of Mr. Robot contains a graphic scene similar in nature to today’s tragic events in Virginia. Out of respect to the victims, their families and colleagues, and our viewers, we are postponing tonight’s episode. Our thoughts go out to all those affected during this difficult time.”

http://tvline.com/2015/08/26/mr-robot-season-finale-postponed-september-2/

So no finale tonight, but an understandable decision.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 2:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I read that, I guess the show is too realistic, they use real code, and now they predict real news. So very sad, so hard to think what else you can do for the families.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 10:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Canadians - for those that are interested this will debut on Showcase Sept 4.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 11:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
FYI

If you use a DVR and have a season pass set for Mr Robot, your DVR might do the same thing my TIVO did.

Last night my TIVO recorded what it "thought" was the finale of Mr Robot, but that episode was replaced with a rerun. However, the scheduling information (episode title, original air date, episode number, etc...) remained the same because it was preempted so quickly yesterday that the revised schedule was not corrected before the 10 pm airing.

That means that this coming Wednesday, my TIVO will "think" it has already recorded that episode and will not re-record it. Last night I set my TIVO to record that time slot (a rerun of NCIS) next Wednesday.

In any case, the schedule information should be updated by now (or very soon) so that particular episode will show up on the schedule by next Wednesday.

Btw, I noticed at imdb.com that the finale is listed as episode "9". There are actually 10 episodes in season one, but if the first ep is labeled "0", the tenth one will be "9".

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
PS - I just checked my TIVO and it did it's daily schedule update this morning at 9:53 am, but the schedule still shows a rerun of NCIS airing next Wednesday at 10 pm.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 6:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Tonight! I almost forgot!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 8:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
STAY TUNED AFTER THE CREDITS!

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Mr. Robot finale: The creator talks the biggest moments of the summer’s best new showan interview with the writer

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Very interesting finale. Not as thrilling as some of the other episodes but at the ending! A male BD Wong! Was the female BD Wong just Elliot's imagination or is he male to the 1% of the 1% (which he'd have to be, realistically) and female as either a preference or a disguise as White Rose?!

And the group at the end, presumably the 1% of the 1%, the global economy collapses and they have cocktails in their church?! I guess it doesn't matter to them!