TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 19, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Wayward Pines on FOX: Archive through July 19, 2015 users admin

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 10:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
If he'd been forward thinking enough, the main mastermind would have stolen a bunch of frozen embryos!

Puttergirl

08-11-2000

Friday, July 10, 2015 - 4:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puttergirl a private message Print Post    
Kitt, I'm not sure if this is the same article I saw back then, but here's one:
www.enstarz.com

Puttergirl

08-11-2000

Friday, July 10, 2015 - 4:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puttergirl a private message Print Post    
Here's another one, but I can't seem to find the original article I read that talked about using characters from "Gone".
http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/06/wayward-pines-could-get-renewed-for.html

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, July 10, 2015 - 6:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Thanks. Odd concept!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 9:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Ruh roh. That was a bad idea (driving the truck through the fence). Now they're all gonna die!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 2:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
It just occurred to me....humans are the top of the food chain in the world today...and we are there because of our brains, not hunting skills or physical prowess or viciousness.

It makes me wonder how the "abbies" came about. They evolved enough to surpass humans in physical prowess and they pretty much "devolved" in brain power at the same time, but they still somehow became the apex predator? That does not compute. If they were half as smart as the average human they would have been able to figure out how to get past that wall a long time ago. (Even an octopus can learn to unscrew the lid of a jar to retrieve the lobster inside it!) They seem to be no smarter than the average monkey...but even monkeys escape from the zoo now and then.

LOL After I wrote that last line I decided to do a quick search to see if what I said was actually true because we really don't hear much about escaped monkeys, do we?

Anyhow, I googled "escaped monkey" and the first result was this story:

Escaped Monkey Back in Memphis Zoo

How she escaped isn't clear

Sometimes, a monkey’s just got to get out.

Zimm, a macaque, is back at home at the Memphis Zoo after escaping on Thursday. She was found at about 9 a.m. on Saturday morning within zoo property. Zimm wasn’t deemed a threat to zoo visitors, and was placed under observation for medical treatment after her recapture.

<snip>

https://twitter.com/MemphisZoo/status/619889749059223552/photo/1

-----

The article was undated but the twitter announcement of her capture was dated July 11, 2015.
https://twitter.com/MemphisZoo/status/619889749059223552/photo/1

---------

Back to my post:

To me, this weird evolution "logic" is another clue to the idea that the evolution of humanity was either orchestrated or was genetic experimentation gone very wrong.

Of, course, here I am using real world logic to understand a fake world story again. :-)

I'll admit, when I watch this show I do get drawn in and find myself on the edge my seat, just like I assume the writers and productions people intended. It's only when I think about it later that I get so distracted by the giant plot holes in their logic.

If they do a season 2, I am worried that it will start being drawn out and bogged down just to fill up one hour episodes more than to tell the story they originally intended to tell.

Noellepv

03-04-2010

Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 2:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Noellepv a private message Print Post    
Sfjf, I watch any and all shows that are illogical like I would watch any fiction show with pure glee. I don't pick them apart because if I do I will lose all interest. We know fiction is just that, fiction...so throw all caution to the wind and watch for enjoyment...well at least this is how I watch...jmho.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 5:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think (IF it wasn't a genetic experiment) we have to assume that some catastrophe happened that left the remaining humans without any sort of civilisation, so those that could act as the best hunter gatherers lived, and those unable to fend for themselves died. Then those that had longer, stronger finger nails (which progressed to talons) were genetically advantage because they could fight better against cougars or other predators, then those that saw better at night, for similar reasons, were favoured, et cetera, et cetera.

And for the beginning of that evolving the humans (humanishes) still had their big brains, and it was only after they became proficient at killing and surviving in the wild that the brain became less important and shrunk.

So, I'm speculating obviously, maybe the abbies couldn't have progressed upwards to their position in the food chain, but when starting as humans from the top, they were able to maintain their position.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 6:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"We know fiction is just that, fiction...so throw all caution to the wind and watch for enjoyment."

I am enjoying it.....but shouldn't we still expect the world created for a fictional story to make sense within the parameters of that fictional world?

They didn't write a story about a world where the laws of physics are no longer in effect. If they had, there would be no issue with the building materials they saved for Wayward Pines remaining in pristine, "like new" condition for 2,000 years.

It's always easy to accept the impossible in science fiction, but the improbable...not so much. It still needs enough truth included in it for it to remain believable.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 7:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Kitt, one of the reasons I think it must have been a genetic experiment is because evolution needs hundreds of thousands of years for a specious to evolve that much (without the help of a mad scientist), not just 2,000.

If people evolved that quickly through natural selection, the humans who created the Ming Dynasty (about 3,400 years ago) would have been little monkey-people using bananas for tools!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 7:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I thought they explained those materials in a previous episode, that they were all held in the same area that the pods containing the people were held.

I guess to me it's no more difficult to believe that the materials were okay, as it is to believe that the people lived in pods without power or mechanical failure for 2000 years.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 7:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
It'a a bit inexplicable, too, that the old house where Ethan found his dead partner tied up in a bed was very rotten and dilapidated....but no other building in town is. There is also Theresa's car that Ethan found a few eps back in the underground facility/parking garage...it was all rusty and beat up and had flat tires.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, July 13, 2015 - 1:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I thought they explained those materials in a previous episode, that they were all held in the same area that the pods containing the people were held."

I went back and watched part of episode 6 again.

The doctor said, "And all our building materials, clothing, archives, historical documentation…our security, is all stored here…everything except food which is stored in a separate facility".

As he spoke, the camera showed part of a vast warehouse with industrial shelves holding boxes of stuff. It looked more like a Costco than some kind of "preservation technology". I was waiting for an explanation but the explanation was just a warehouse inside the mountain overlooking WP.

Screen shots from episode 6 showing the supply warehouse, shown as the doctor was talking about the storage:

warehouse1
Boxes on the left say "Satin Luster Finish" and the boxes on the right say "High Gloss Finish".

warehouse2

warehouse3

They walked farther into the facility and Ethan was shown the preservation pods in a different area on a lower level. He referred to the process for preserving all the people as "cryonic suspension" which is a real thing - it's suspension via freezing.

The people-pod room:
podroom

This was the view of Wayward Pines from the mountain facility immediately after the Doctor woke up from his 2,000 year nap in the pod:

overgrown
I guess this explains the one dilapidated house where Ethan found his dead partner. They must've kept one building from being rebuilt to murder people in.

Here is WP after the 200 volunteers rebuilt the entire town in just two years:
rebuilt

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, July 13, 2015 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I love the show, SFJF, but I'm MUCH more impressed by your ability to capture all the screen shots AND get them to appear so nicely in your post. (If I tried to do it, it would probably be Thanksgiving or Christmas before I finally figured out how to do all that you did.) Thanks for all the nifty research and photos!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, July 13, 2015 - 3:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree. Fun thread.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, July 13, 2015 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
YEs, am enjoying the discussion here. Am just trying to enjoy Matt Dillon since we haven't seen him in ages. I do look forward to this show, so it has captured some fascination in me for sure.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, July 13, 2015 - 5:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Well, as I said, I still think that if the pods could be expected to last 2000 years, so could the building materials.

The other possibility is that maintenance workers were awoken every couple of decades to maintain the facility, knowing that they wouldn't live to see the end result?

Or perhaps they were rotated somehow?

Either way, you have to say that there was some system for all of it to be maintained (by computer or by maintenance workers) or none of it.

At any rate, that doesn't bother me so much. To me, the story isn't really about how they got there, it's about what they do/think/feel now that they are there.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, July 13, 2015 - 7:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Either way, you have to say that there was some system for all of it to be maintained (by computer or by maintenance workers) or none of it."

That's my whole point. I don't "have" to say that because I don't have to pick an either/or. I can accept that some of it has a plausible enough explanation but that doesn't mean I have to accept that "all" of it is plausible because some it just isn't.

I agree that maintenance workers could have been awakened periodically but then they could have been put back in a pod after doing their maintenance....like they did with that one worker in the last episode who admitted that he let some things slide that could have pointed to insurrection in the town. They just put him back to sleep in a pod.

So that is a plausible system.

But there was no plausible system in place to make supplies that are made from organic materials (like paper, cotton cloth, wood, rubber, cardboard, etc...) last 2,000 years with absolutely no deterioration.

It's the inconsistency of plausible explanations mixed in with downright ridiculous explanations that I find distracting.

Btw, I'm not suggesting that everyone see it the way I do. Suspending one's sense of disbelief for a sci-fi program is different for different people. Some folks here have agreed with me that there was a plausibility issue with their "like new" 2,000 year old supplies. Maybe it just bugs me more than it does others.

And I am still enjoying the show! :-) It's suspenseful and thought provoking, but IMHO, it would have been a lot better if the writers had come up with a more consistent explanation other than just leaving the supplies on a shelf for 20 centuries.

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 8:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I don't remember - did they ever said why they waited 20 centuries? Why that specific number and why that long?

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 12:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
There's a lot the doctor omitted in his explanation. At one point after the doctor showed Ethan the pods of frozen people, Ethan asked "How many are there?"...and the camera cut to the face of the doctor with a strange look on his face, paused for a few seconds, and then cut away (to commercial or the next scene) without the doctor ever giving an answer.

For all we know, they still have another hundred people frozen and stored down there. Or a thousand. Or a million.

Or everybody!:-)

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, July 17, 2015 - 11:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Well, I think we may have caught Dr Pilcher in another lie!

The doctor had previously told Ethan that when the people in WP learned the truth once before, they freaked out and committed suicide, but that wasn't very believable ...to Ethan or the viewers.

So now, Ethan finally explained to all the townspeople what was actually going on and told them that Pilcher "is a control freak". After that, Pilcher cut the power to the whole town, including the electrified fence, which allowed the "abbies" access to the town.

That can't be good.

I think this is what really happened before, not mass suicide. Dr Control Freak must be more interested in creating his own little perfect town where the citizens will follow his rules and create the illusion that "his" new civilization is populated with happy citizens than just trying to save humanity. The entire world has changed but Pilcher can't adapt to it. It looks like when things don't go his way, he just lets the "abbies" in to clean house so he can start over.

I wonder if he has done this more than just once before.

This is a doctor with a literal "God complex"!

The end of this episode did say that next week was the "series finale" so I'm guessing that if it's really over, the town won't survive.

OR....there will be another season set several years later after Pilcher has started over with a brand new set of townsfolk.

OR....the survivors of WP overthrow Pilcher and do it their way.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, July 17, 2015 - 1:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yep, Dr Pilcher's got a big touch of the crazies. We did see some flashbacks about the old group killing themselves in various ways so perhaps that wasn't a complete lie, but who know what Pilcher did to make that happen, he's clearly capable of extremes.

Also Nurse Ratchett is suddenly a sweetie, wishing for the best and hugging Ethan's wife. Not sure what prompted the change in tone. The boys/young men who executed the terrorists also came out of nowhere, unless I wasn't paying attention.

I noticed the very clear "series" finale wording too. I think it will be the end, which is probably for the best.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, July 17, 2015 - 2:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I was hoping for a reckoning of Dr. Pilcher!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, July 17, 2015 - 2:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
" We did see some flashbacks about the old group killing themselves in various ways so perhaps that wasn't a complete lie"

It didn't make sense that everyone would kill themselves simply because they learned the truth but I'd bet quite a few of them would choose that route if the "abbies" got in and they knew the glass windows in their homes couldn't protect them and there was no place else to go.

It could've been a case of hang yourself and your family or be eaten alive by scary monsters with great big ugly pointed teeth.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Also Nurse Ratchett is suddenly a sweetie, wishing for the best and hugging Ethan's wife. Not sure what prompted the change in tone.

Yup, that's the part I thought was just weird. In the book she was pure evil (and much younger and prettier), so it was strange that suddenly she was nice.

This series has veered off course quite a bit from the three book series, but seems to be coming back to the same conclusion. Should be interesting to see how they end it.