TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 05, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Wayward Pines on FOX: Archive through July 05, 2015 users admin

Trini

07-06-2004

Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 1:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Trini a private message Print Post    
Spunky, I was about to ask should I watch it? Well I won't. Thanks.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 2:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
This show would've been more believable to me if they had just made it more impossible!

Such as: In the late 21st century, they developed some kind of portal to the future but it was limited so that it could only open a portal 2,000 years in the future and keep it open for a few years before it collapsed for good. They could have spent those years taking building materials and food supplies (along with a population of frozen people-cicles) to the future WP location as they built the town. Then when the portal eventually failed, it eliminated their access to supplies from the past. Then they'd have their new town and a supply of frozen population replacements.

That's a really impossible premise....but, to me, it's still more believable than the idea of various items that use organic materials or ones that would rust or corrode that could last 2,000 years on a shelf without a bit of degrading. Just curious - do they have batteries of any kind in Wayward Pines? I guess those little devices the provide cricket chirps could be solar powered, but there don't seem to be any visible solar panels there.

This is one show that really missed the mark when it comes to making the impossible seem possible by simply not making the explanation so implausible.

JMO

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, June 29, 2015 - 10:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
The writers have taken the story somewhat off-track from the books. The books were a fun read--if you didn't think too hard. They've made some significant changes for the TV series.

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, June 29, 2015 - 12:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
This show would've been more believable to me if they had just made it more impossible!

I know what you mean. I binge-watched the first four episodes and it seemed like each episode was getting better. The fifth (or sixth episode?) -where the boy learned that they were in the future seemed promising, although they didn't give many details. After the two week break, it seemed like in this last episode the show lost a lot of it's momentum.

I think it's getting bogged down in explanations. And I agree with everyone who earlier said that it doesn't make sense that the first group would all commit suicide because they couldn't handle being in this future? They and their families were safe - and living a life that seemed like normal life and human instinct is to survive. It doesn't seem like the despair would be that deep to kill your own family. I keep hoping that that explanation was a lie and that they chose not to abide by David Pilcher's laws, so he was the one who killed everyone and decided to start over and use fear to keep everyone in line.

And the explanations into supplies seems lame. I think Sanfranjoshfan had the right idea to just use an impossible premise that wouldn't question details.

If it weren't for the aberrations, I would think all of it is just a series of post-apocolyptic experiments that David Pilcher was running and the government is aware and using some of their own agents in the experiments.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, June 29, 2015 - 1:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"If it weren't for the aberrations, I would think all of it is just a series of post-apocolyptic experiments that David Pilcher was running and the government is aware and using some of their own agents in the experiments."

I wonder if Pilcher was the cause of the aberrations to begin with. They did make it a point to include a scene earlier in the series of Pilcher talking to Ben and that girl student in the park about his "hybrid experiments with pine trees". Maybe Pilcher did some hybrid experiments on humans 2,000 years ago as well....and it resulted in a new dominant species of very hungry human/animal hybrids. Maybe the mad doctor caused the collapse of civilization.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, June 29, 2015 - 1:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"SFJF, I had the same issues with the book, but if you can put those doubts aside, it's still a fun story."

I plan to keep watching. I just figure I'll probably get headaches from too much eye rolling. :-) And it's billed as a "10 episode event" so I don't expect it to continue after the finale....I'm in this deep so I may as well see how it plays out.

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, June 29, 2015 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Sanfran - I thought the same thing - that Pilcher had caused the aberrations. And to continue with your idea that he collapsed civilization - maybe he got tired of no one taking his end of world scenarios seriously, so he started experimenting to make certain that that would happen?
That way, in the new world, he is not only vindicated for predicting the end, but is pretty much the head of the new world.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, June 29, 2015 - 3:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I have to admit that I'm enjoying the books (which I decided to read before watching the rest of the series which I am recording). Some of it is crazy (but some of the characters are crazy) so I'm just going with it at this point. I keep peeking in here to see what you all think about the TV show.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, June 29, 2015 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, I loved the books. I made my hubby read them, too, and he doesn't really like fiction. They were a fun read.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, June 29, 2015 - 6:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Like Sanfran, Im just going with flow since only a few eps left...if they say they will renew for a regular show I wont watch though

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Yes, Same here. I hope this is a one-and-done. I hope they don't try to "under the dome" us.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 6:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
my vanpoolers were talking about the latest under the dome and how it went offf the rails, none of them want to continue watching

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 7:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Only just got around to last week's episode. Yeah... what can I say. Just going along for the ride at this point, it'll be over by the end of the month.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
Has anyone watched "Gone" on Fox.com? So far, there are 7 episodes, each about 3 minutes long. Does watching change your opinion? How and Why?

Gone,
Go beneath the surface with GONE, a Wayward Pines companion series.

http://www.fox.com/wayward-pines/gone?pid=106026&vid=123341

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I wonder about what Kate said in the latest episode. She mentioned that she finally found a phone in town that allowed her to get an outside line and she called her office and spoke to someone she knew who told her that this was "some kind of government experiment".

I wasn't sure who she talked to but I got the impression that it was that agent who worked with Ethan that we saw talk to the doctor in the first episode or so. He said something to the doctor about maybe not using Ethan for <whatever> and the doctor told him "It's already done".

If that is who Kate talked to, either they're not in the future after all or Ethan's friend/co-worker is in stashed away in the underground bunker/storage facility. Or maybe re-packed into one of those human storage pods?

Puttergirl

08-11-2000

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 2:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puttergirl a private message Print Post    
I watched the online Gone and it's interesting, especially because I read there will be a 2nd season but with all new characters. It took so long to get the show on the air, all the actors have moved on. The new season will use themes from Gone.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 7:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
There were staff in that bunker thing who just answered phones to make it look (mostly to the newbies I suppose) that there was still contact with the outside world. I wonder if Kate's call was intercepted by them. I was curious too.

Puttergirl, you mean a season 2 of Wayward Pines would have new characters or a season 2 of Gone? If they can't do Wayward Pines with the same characters they should just wrap it up this season (which it sounded like they intended to do anyway).

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 8:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"There were staff in that bunker thing who just answered phones to make it look (mostly to the newbies I suppose) that there was still contact with the outside world."

I may have misheard Kate, but I thought she said she had spoken with someone that she knew.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 8:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
" If they can't do Wayward Pines with the same characters they should just wrap it up this season"

Maybe it'll be about another town called "Wayward Oaks" in Georgia...

I really hope they wrap it up, though.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 8:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Sanfran, Ethan was Secret Service, so it makes (a bit of) sense that some other Secret Service people are brought along too, especially for the keep everything secret jobs they'd have at the bunker. So she could have known them that way. If not then it all falls apart. And not for the first time!

Wayward Oaks could be what happens when the current scenario goes wrong, so they decide to freeze everyone for another 1000 years ;).

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 6:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
SFJF, I think Kate said she got a voicemail (or a message) from Hassler, who was hers and Ethan's supervisor back in Seattle. She didn't talk directly to him. He was definitely in on the abductions, cause we saw him talking to Pilcher in Seattle about taking Ethan.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
how many eps left?

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"SFJF, I think Kate said she got a voicemail (or a message) from Hassler, who was hers and Ethan's supervisor back in Seattle."

Okay that makes more sense, then....I didn't catch the part where she said it was a voice mail.

I just wish they had created a situation that didn't depend on me being forced to accept such an illogical explanation for it to make sense.

Instead of just suspending my sense of disbelief at the start of this sci-fi story, I have to force myself to re-suspend it over and over in every episode.

----

Pamy, there is a total of 10 episodes, so there are 3 epsidoes remaining. The finale is scheduled for July 23.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2618986/episodes?season=1&ref_=tt_eps_sn_1

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
ty Sanfran!

I will like this show better if it turns out the 2000 yrs in the future is a lie and its truly a govt experiiment and Kate is right, Matt Dillion was brainwashed.

Interesting about the school, they basically want them all to mate.. What if someone is gay? Judging by how judgy/pissed off that Kate hadnt gotten pregnant I would think this would really create a society of untolerance toward gays, which pisses me off

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 8:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
They're probably not going to mind if they're gay, as long as they are willing to donate/receive the goods to get themselves or someone else pregnant!