TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 31, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: PBS Shows - General: Archive through March 31, 2015 users admin

Calamity

10-18-2001

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 10:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Nyeratheart & Irsnappy. Maybe we can compare notes later.

Nyeratheart

09-03-2010

Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 4:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyeratheart a private message Print Post    
Definitely Calamity!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 5:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the info on The Escape Artist. I can't wait to watch it. I LOVE David Tennant.

Nyeratheart

09-03-2010

Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyeratheart a private message Print Post    
Me too Reiann! That was the primary reason I recorded it. Though I do love most of the shows that come over from Britain.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Great minds love David Tennant, Ny! lol

I watched it today and I thought it was great. :-)

Marameko

07-14-2002

Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Dipo.. Thanks for mentioning the show Miss Fisher Murders which I found on Netflix,shows like that suit me well. I will look for the Dr.and Mrs Murder and also check to see what I may have overlooked on PBS.
Sometimes it is difficult for me to understand cockney accents on British tv shows.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Monday, June 30, 2014 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
***spoilers***

Well, I watched "The Escape Artist". I agree it was very well done & Tennant was terrific in his role. But I didn't enjoy the story at all. That's not a surprise or criticism because crime shoes just aren't my thing. Especially ones involving such brutal acts.

The female barrister (Gardner?) - she did almost have a mini-breakdown while alone after the verdict but I still found it very difficult to sympathize with her because it seemed like she had a personal vendetta in sticking it to Tennant's character. (Tennant at least appeared to have distaste for Foyle when he was representing him - though that proved fatal for his wife; plus he warned Gardner a couple times to be careful about Foyle.) I felt like she might very well have exposed him if she could have, given that look of shocked disappointment on her face when he mentioned the cremation.

Whoever the actor was who played the killer - he was so creepy I would be very uncomfortable & distracted if I ever saw him in another show. I remember reading that Eric Roberts believed he was practically blackballed by major studies in Hollywood for a long time because people were so disturbed by his chilling turn as a slimy, sleazy murderer in a movie. It may not be fair but that's how I feel about the guy in this show.

Side note: why does it seem like so many of these series/mini-series I hear about feature graphic sexual violence against females? If the victim's male, he "just" gets killed. If it's a female, there's all sorts of other depravity added on top of the actual killing. I knew I probably have a skewed perspective because I don't watch the programs usually so maybe I just hear/read about the really sensationalistic ones.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, June 30, 2014 - 1:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Vicious" is now airing on PBS. It's very funny and Ian McKellen is hysterical!

About the Program

Vicious tells the story of partners Freddie (Ian McKellen) and Stuart (Derek Jacobi), who have lived together in a small central London flat for nearly 50 years. Constantly picking each other apart and holding on to petty slights for decades, Freddie and Stuart are always at each other’s throats, cracking snide remarks aimed at the other’s age, appearance and flaws. However, underneath their vicious, co-dependent fighting, they have a deep love for one another. Freddie and Stuart are often joined by feisty best friend Violet (Frances de la Tour, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) and Ash (Iwan Rheon, “Game of Thrones"), their young, upstairs neighbor.

http://www.pbs.org/program/vicious/

Looks like the first episode is available at the link above. This show aired in the UK last year but just started airing here on PBS last night.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Monday, June 30, 2014 - 3:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
All thru the show I thought the title applied to the killer but in hind sight I think it was the husband

Calamity

10-18-2001

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 10:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
I don't know if anyone has been watching the short series My Wild Affair but tonight's episode is "The Rhino Who Joined the Family".

PBS

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Anybody know when Call The Midwife season 3.will be on Netflix. I don't find any info

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 3:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I am really getting a kick out of Vicious. Very funny, love the 2 lead characters.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Totally agree, Sugar - Vicious is a riot. And the actor who plays the upstairs neighbor is adorable!

Jasper

09-14-2000

Thursday, July 31, 2014 - 10:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
My PBS station just aired part 1 of the Escape Artist on Sunday. I watched it tonight and I felt like I was sitting on the edge of the couch for most of it. I'm looking forward to the conclusion.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 4:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Totally agree, Sugar - Vicious is a riot. And the actor who plays the upstairs neighbor is adorable!

I agree about Vicious and the cutie neighbor, Uncle Ricky. MUCH different than his psycho role as Ramsay Snow on Game of Thrones.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 4:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
A new show starts tonight, after Downton Abbey, called Grantchester. It's about a crime solving vicar in 1950's England. It stars James Norton (who was great in Happy Valley) as the vicar and Robson Green as the local inspector. Hope it is good!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 6:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Rieann, I was just reading about this in People magazine. It looks good.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Monday, January 19, 2015 - 7:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
I really enjoyed Grantchester. It started a bit on the slow side but once it got rolling I was in to the mystery and was hooked. I am a huge "whodunit" fan, cut my teeth on Agatha Christie, and, for once, did not know the perpetrator before the reveal.

On another note, watched the final episode of Poirot on Saturday on our local PBS station and felt let down. Sad to see the series end, of course, but the way it ended was what made me sad.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, March 30, 2015 - 3:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
A new three part / six hour Ken Burns series on cancer starts tonight on PBS. Two hours each, tonight, tomorrow, and Wednesday at 9:00 Central.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, March 30, 2015 - 5:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I missed first episode of Call The Midwife. Dang, I hope it's re played.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Monday, March 30, 2015 - 8:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
Lakecat, it repeats at 3:30 a.m.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, March 30, 2015 - 8:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
It said 2:30 here but when I go to the channel there is a show about cancer.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 30, 2015 - 10:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The cancer series is going to be excellent, I think.

60 minutes also did a segment on using polio vaccine on glioblastoma multiforme and this is SO promising.

Exciting stuff..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 30, 2015 - 10:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
On my schedule the season premiere of Call the Midwife is at 7pm on Wednesday. I love that show.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 4:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Are you in Canada Seamonkey? Wednesday night says episode 2 on my schedule.