TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 22, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Wayward Pines on FOX: Archive through May 22, 2015 users admin

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 3:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
New show starts tonight....looks like fun! It is being promoted as a "Ten episode event", so I assume it's a test run to see if it takes off. (Under the Dome was intended to be a one-off miniseries but it was huge hit so they brought it back.)

Anyhow, the promo for Wayward Pines reminds me of a British show called Meadowlands (AKA "Cape Wrath" in the UK) that was aired on Showtime in 2007. It starred David Morrisey. I could be wrong but I don't think this show was derived from Meadowlands.

Oh yeah...since it's intended to end after 10 eps, I'm not going to let worrying about it being canceled get in my way of enjoying it.

It starts tonight on FOX! I've been looking forward to this one. (Some of the photos at the website remind me a little of Twin Peaks...especially the one with the strange lady in the background with the super suspicious look on her face! See pic below)

It stars Matt Dillon, Terrence Howard, Jennifer Lewis and a lot more...

Wayward Pines on FOX

wayward2

ABOUT THE SHOW

Imagine the perfect American town, beautiful homes, manicured lawns, children playing safely in the streets...Now imagine never being able to leave. You have no communication with the outside world. You think you’re going insane. You must be in Wayward Pines.

Based on Blake Crouch's international bestselling series of books and brought to life by suspenseful storyteller M. Night Shyamalan (“The Sixth Sense,” “Signs”), WAYWARD PINES is the 10-episode, intense psychological thriller evocative of the classic hit “Twin Peaks.”

<snip>

http://www.fox.com/wayward-pines

Meet the cast:
waywardpic
http://www.fox.com/wayward-pines/photo-gallery/meet-the-cast#5152566

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2618986/

Spunky

10-07-2001

Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 5:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the info Sanfran... I'm taping it and watch it tomorrow... although I'm not a fan of Dillon. But the theme got my attention..

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 5:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I'm hoping it will be a good show for the summer, but unfortunately I am sooooo behind on my tv watching that it'll be a while before I get round to watching this. It'll be taped though.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Terrence Howard..I'm in!

Smokey

07-07-2003

Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smokey a private message Print Post    
I love Terrence Howard, too! I missed tonight but will try to catch it on Hulu Plus over the weekend.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, May 15, 2015 - 6:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well that was weird! :-)

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, May 15, 2015 - 1:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
It surpassed my expectations!

I guess I was still expecting something similar to Meadowlands, but Wayward Pines is something very, very different.

I was surprised that Ethan found a giant concrete wall topped by the giant electrical fence surrounding the entire town of Wayward Pines at the end of the first episode. It was reminiscent of the fence around the wild animals in Jurassic Park! I also did not expect that the Secret Service was actually in on it. That doctor, played by Toby Jones was telling Ethan's partner that it was "already done" back in the outside world.

Also, the strange time shifting element is surprising and intriguing and a a bit confusing, adding a whole new dimension (pun intended) to the premise. He was looking for his missing 27 year old female partner, but found her in her forties? And that female bartender (Juliette Lewis) said it was the one year anniversary of her arrival in Wayward Pines....and that she got there in 1999 (I think)? it seemed to imply that time is moving more slowly for Juliette Lewis but a lot faster for Kate (Ethan's missing partner).

These totally unexpected elements have made Wayward Pines a lot more intriguing than I had hoped it would be.

I'm hooked.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, May 15, 2015 - 1:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Oh I liked it as well. Very intriguing. I hope they can keep it up!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, May 15, 2015 - 3:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed it immensely. Melissa Leo was deliciously evil - she and Nurse Ratched crawled out from under the same rock! And I totally agree that it has a Twin Peaks feel to it. It would be great if it turns out to be as funny as that classic show was.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, May 15, 2015 - 10:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Couldn't face any of my other recordings and tried this. I might have understood more if I hadn't fallen asleep for part of it (my fault (lack of sleep), not the show's). I'm going to need you guys to explain every episode to me I think! I missed the time travel part completely.

It reminded me a bit of that show a couple of summers ago where the group were stuck in a hotel in a town and couldn't get out. Yes, also very Twin Peaks.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, May 15, 2015 - 11:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I felt it was just ok.

I think Carla Gugino is such a mediocre actress, and she completely made her part in the this show so far feel unbelievable. She ruined the premiere for me.

I'll stick with it since it is just 10 eps, but Carla really is a mediocre actress.

Love me some Matt Dillon, though! LOL :-)

Spunky

10-07-2001

Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 7:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Yes, Kitt... I can see too that the theme is not new, I've seen several movies or shows very similar to this one. However, it's a theme I am not tired of, anything that makes an intriguing story I could watch, so far so good.

The only thing is Dillon, I always imagine other actors better suited for this role. He doesn't portray the vulnerability that his character should have, his looks are too harsh, even when thinking of going mad he is too harsh looking to make me feel anything for his twisted fate. He doesn't convince me he's living a nightmare.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 9:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Ok, I've read enough here, that I dont think I'll be interested in it. I'll continue to record it just in case I get bored this Summer.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 12:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
" I missed the time travel part completely."

Kitt, the time weirdness was pretty much just a few lines in the whole show.

Juliette Lewis (forgot her character name) told Ethan that it was her one year anniversary of arriving at Wayward Pines. He asked her when she got there and she said 1999 (I think). Then, as he was losing consciousness, he mumbled "but it's 2014..." or something to that effect.

She had also told him they did to her what they did to him - she was hurt and they put her in that hospital and told her she had a brain injury and that it affected her memory. She said "they mess with your head".

Of course, I guess it's possible that they messed with her head enough that she doesn't remember most of the previous 14 years. Or maybe she is just one of the "them" and is just messing with Ethan's head.

As for Kate, when Ethan went to see the sheriff he gave a description of the agent he was looking for...he said that her name was Kate and she was 27 years old. In the flashback of when he first kissed her, Kate looked much younger than the actress who plays her, who was born in 1971. Her face looked like it had been "young-i-fied" via cgi magic to me. (Btw, I could use some of that!)

When Ethan finally found her, he looked at her strangely and told her she looked different...and she just smiled and said "Everyone looks different when they get older" or something to that affect.

My confusion was that Jennifer Lewis is looking at the past 14 years as if it was just one year, but Kate who, disappeared recently at age 27 appeared noticeably older when Ethan found her, shortly after she vanished. Of course, now that I think about it, Juliette Lewis could have been a teenager when she came to Wayward Pines.....so maybe the whole town is somehow 14 years out of sync with the rest of the world.

Of course the doctor seems able to come and go in real time with no problem.

Heck, maybe they're just all crazy and they're in some fancy experimental loony bin! :-)

Anyhow, it has enough weirdness and unanswered questions that I'll be watching..so far after just one episode, I find it surprisingly unpredictable!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 3:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Kitt, I just looked at my recording of WP again.

If you still have your recording and want to see those two scenes:

Ethan talks to Juliette Lewis about her arrival in WP at around the 43 minute mark, right after they arrive at the mausoleum or whatever dirty place that was that she took him to hide after they escaped the hospital.

At around the 52 or 53 minute mark, Ethan talks to Kate and he looks at her and says "You look...." and she says "Everybody gets older". He asks her how long she's been there and she says "12 years" and Ethan says "That's impossible. You were with me five weeks ago!" She replies "I don't have answers for you Ethan. You should go."

It seems that Kate knows she's been there a long time, but Juliette Lewis doesn't!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 4:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Wow thanks for that extra info, Sanfran, very helpful! I might play the episode again as I really did miss quite a lot of it. At the very least you've made it much more likely I'll keep up next episode.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
In just this premiere episode, the mystery feels very "Lost-y" to me.

Of course, this is only ep one....they have plenty of time to screw it all up. Let's just hope they don't.

Daydreamer

05-30-2008

Monday, May 18, 2015 - 6:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Daydreamer a private message Print Post    
Kitt, the old show you're thinking of (set inside a small ghost town, where everyone lived inside the single hotel and could't leave the town), aired in 2010 and was called "Persons Unknown."

Although my husband and I kept swearing we were going to dump the show (because it was so claustrophobic), we actually stuck around and watched it until the bitter end, and we're glad we did, because the last minute of the last episode blew our minds: the stranded group finally managed to escape the town, only to walk out a door onto the deck of an aircraft carrier. Then they realized they were living inside a video game. All they had done was advance to the next level.

Unfortunately the show was cancelled at that point, right when it became brilliantly interesting.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, May 18, 2015 - 6:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Yes, this reminded me of Person's Unknown too -- I had forgotten the name of that show.

What can I say about Matt Dillon. He is not the finest actor. I adored him back in the day, when he was in Little Darlings and My Bodyguard. I agree that he seems to lack a vulnerability, but maybe that's not needed when I see the previews for the rest of the season.

This could be a fun one to watch and maybe get my teen to watch too.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, May 18, 2015 - 6:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Im wondering if Juliette's character will end up being bad. she is making Dillon trust her but maybe he shouldnt

Mamabatsy

08-05-2005

Monday, May 18, 2015 - 7:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamabatsy a private message Print Post    
Thank you daydreamer. I've been trying to figure out what show it reminded me of and you have it. The leaving and ending up right where he started seemed so familiar but I couldn't think of what show I had seen it on.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 9:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I read all three of the books and LOVED them. I'm not saying anymore . . .

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, May 22, 2015 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Hmmmmm took a turn for the crazy tonight! I thought something like that might have to happen because Juliette Lewis has a regular gig on Secrets and Lies.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, May 22, 2015 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
well my theory above is totally wrong LOL

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, May 22, 2015 - 7:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
but I will say it didnt seem like the cut to the neck squirted blood like it should have and it wouldnt have killed her instantly like they made it seem...something was off and I dont know if that was intentional or not