TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 12, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Mad Men: Archive through May 12, 2015 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 8:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I think Joan was just trying to show ridiculous it would be for a man to expect having her without her child.

I think the biggest thing that keeps me hanging onto to me seat is waiting to see if Peggy ever tells Pete she had their child.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 9:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I meant "hanging onto my seat" :-)

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 12:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Naja, I thought she did tell Pete about the baby a couple of seasons ago. I have a very vague memory of being surprised at Pete's reaction, like it wasn't a big deal to him.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 1:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Wow....I looked around the 'net, looking for a mention of this scene and I was half expecting to prove myself wrong (because I'm getting more senile by the minute) about Peggy telling Pete that she had their baby and gave it up, but I actually found an article from just 2 days ago that summarized that particular scene!

April 27, 2015 2:51 p.m.
Peggy and Pete, Together Again on Mad Men

<snip>

[This part starts in the second paragraph below the third photo on the page...it's a long article]

Peggy carries around her big secret for all of season two. We know Don knows that she placed a child for adoption, but it's never made clear if Don knows who the father was. (Peggy tells him years later that her mother believes Don was the father.) We see Peggy move on — just as Don told her to, and pretty effectively — until the season finale "Meditations in an Emergency." Pete confesses his love, and Peggy rebuffs him. "I could have had you in my life forever if I wanted to," she says almost dreamily. "I could have had you. I could have shamed you into being with me. But I didn't want to."

"I had your baby, and I gave it away," she tells him. "I wanted other things." Pete's stunned and a little bit sad. "Why would you tell me that?" he asks.

<snip>

http://www.vulture.com/2015/04/peggy-pete-couch-mad-men.html

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, May 01, 2015 - 9:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Aww Crap! You are right, SFJ. I just rewatched the episode. I had totally forgotten.

Thinking back to then, I am pretty sure I was thinking about how she didn't tell him that his sister is raising the baby and she knows where it is, and even sees it now and then. But in Pete's mind, it's off to some unknown adoptive family because of how Peggy said she gave it away.

OK, so we still have that waiting for us. Peggy does know where the baby is, with her sister.... And Pete will find out.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, May 01, 2015 - 10:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Aww Crap! You are right, SFJ. I just rewatched the episode. I had totally forgotten. "

Easy to do (I had half forgotten it) because it was such a big deal to give up a child, but that scene was so casual and, well, forgettable. One would think the writers would have wanted to treat that revelation with greater gravitas.

Of course, you could be right...,maybe they're just waiting till the end of the series to revisit Peggy's decision so they can milk more drama out of it. They did go out of their way to have Peggy thinking about parenting and that made her think about her decision to give up her own baby years ago.

I'd hate for her and Pete and the kid to wind up together, though. I like Peggy a lot...she's a strong, smart woman, but Pete is such a whiny, unlikable weasel.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, May 01, 2015 - 10:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I remember hoping Pete would find out when he was married, and hoping he and his wife would raise it (I think his wife was having trouble getting pregnant). But then Pete and his wife parted and that idea went to hell.

Smokey

07-07-2003

Monday, May 04, 2015 - 2:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smokey a private message Print Post    
I'd hate for her and Pete and the kid to wind up together, though. I like Peggy a lot...she's a strong, smart woman, but Pete is such a whiny, unlikable weasel.

Ditto!

I absolutely loved the scenes with Peggy and Roger last night. Peggy roller skating while Roger played the organ was so surreal, but so perfect.

And Don just driving off to who knows where. I had this odd thought about the beginning of the show, how it always shows a man, who I always have assumed is Don Draper, falling from a tall building. It made me wonder if that was how things would end for Don. But I hope not as that would close the door to anything at all in the future. He's a real mess, that's for sure.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Monday, May 04, 2015 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Smokey, Don was also checking out the windows in his office last night.

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Monday, May 04, 2015 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
I hope Peggy stays a strong, independent, single woman. If she has to end up with someone, I'd prefer Stan over Pete. Stan and Peggy have a great chemistry. Pete deserves to be alone.
Most of this final half of the final season has disappointed me, but last night's episode was great. Made me realize how much I am going to miss this show and these characters. Only two episodes to go! Can't imagine how they are going to neatly tie up all these loose ends.

Smokey

07-07-2003

Monday, May 04, 2015 - 7:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smokey a private message Print Post    
Merrysea--Thanks for that reminder! I had forgotten about that.

Donsgirl

08-01-2005

Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 6:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Donsgirl a private message Print Post    
I had to watch him checking out the window a few times. There was an air sound and then when he touched it it stopped. Lose window easy to jump out of. I hope he does not end it that way.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 8:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I wished Don wasnt still chasing all over after Diana! She is not what he thinks she is--the answer to his problems? the prize at the end of the rainbow? It must have been hard on him seeing all the clones of himself in the big meeting, knowing he was sold and bought by a crazy old corporate pirate! And Joan, she was so diappointing. After standing up to the big boss--who for a second I thought was going to hit her--threatening him with lawsuits and bad plublicity because she was being treated so badly and expected to have sex with that creep who is going on business trips with her! She even had a rich boyfriend on the side willing to help her, but she ducked out taking half of what was owed to her!
They better not have Don jumping out any windows or killing himself as an ending. That would be so lame.
Roger was so sweet and sentimental. I wasnt expecting him to be reluctant to leave the old offices. Just one more episode to go--sigh....

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
Did anyone get a good look at the social security card in the envelope Don opened up? It had an engagement ring (maybe Megan's?) and other personal items.
I'm going to have to go home and watch it in slow motion to see if I can catch the name on the ss card. One of the theories I have for an ending is that Don Draper is going to "die" and he will resume being Dick Whitman.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 10:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Just one more episode to go--sigh...."

Hey this will make you feel better...there are actually TWO more episodes left...May 10 and May 17!

The promo put it the way a lot of shows do these days - "Only ONE MORE EPISODE...until the finale".

I've heard it put that way a lot lately and I find it irritating....if there are two episodes left of a series or a season, why can't those yahoos simply say "Only TWO MORE episodes left"? Why do they only the count the the number of episodes BEFORE the finale and then add that "before the finale" tag at the end.

All it does is confuse viewers (like me) because it often makes me make think the show is ending sooner than it actually is.

Hmm...it just occurred to me that maybe it's just a ploy to make sure more people tune in....there are shows that I have stopped watching but then I do go out of my way to watch the series finale. Maybe they want to try to get those viewers that haven't been as faithful in watching all along but who would probably make sure to watch the finale....and then they have to make sure to watch the "real" finale a week later...

In any case, it irks me.

-------

Yes, I also thought of the opening credits when Don was touching his new window, too. After the episode I went back and watched the opening credits again but they seemed different than I remembered!

Are the opening credits this season exactly the same as they have always been? I don't remember ever seeing the ads in color superimposed over all the buildings as the silhouette of what appears to be Don Draper is falling. I do remember noticing how distinctive the graphic style of them were because they look very 50s-60's....bold simple graphics like I remember on shows like Kraft Suspense Theatre (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahboQf90bLA) or The Saint (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO8P1U6uMls) but I just never noticed all the ads superimposed on the buildings in the Mad Men credits before. When I rewatched them the other night, the effects looked a lot more modern to me than I remembered. I thought they were just simple bold graphics that were all black and white and red and the buildings were also just simple graphics but with no ads.

Did they change something or am I just having another senior moment? (I am assuming it's the latter) :-)

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Snoopsmom, it was Don's social security card!

Image from screencap of the episode:
drapersscard

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 10:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I went back and checked out some old eps and saw that the credits have always been the same....I probably just need medication. :-)

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 3:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
You are the master at detail and recall SFJF ,don't go second guessing yourself. I count on you for all my TV and movie trivia

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
Thanks, SFJF. Looking forward to the next episode, but dreading the finale. I hope the series has a satisfying ending, and that maybe we get a flash-future to see how they all lived out their lives.

Babyruth

07-19-2001

Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyruth a private message Print Post    
Interesting theory! Possible spoiler alert:

source:The Dailybeast.com

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/05/06/did-this-woman-predict-mad-men-s-ending-two-years-ago.html

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Monday, May 11, 2015 - 2:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
Great show last night. Poor Sally, I felt so bad for her coming to terms with Betty's illness. Typical Betty to be focused on how her corpse will look after she passes.
Can't imagine how they are going to wrap everything up in one more one hour episode.
I think I'll be angry if Don just disappears as noted in the article posted by Babyruth. Especially since his focus should be on his children who will have lost, or be losing their mother. They are his kids, not Henry's.
I'm thinking we may not see much on any characters other than Don next week. They seem to have wrapped up the storylines of Roger, Joan and Peggy last week, and this week we got Pete wrapped up and reuniting with Trudy.

Hskrfan

06-30-2011

Monday, May 11, 2015 - 12:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hskrfan a private message Print Post    
Am I the only one that will be upset if Don "disappears" and leaves his kids without any parents.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, May 11, 2015 - 1:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I wondered the same thing about Don leaving his kids, but then I realized if he does, it's because he still doesn't know that Betty is dying. He'd be back in NY in a New York minute if he knew Betty was dying from lung cancer.

I read the above article, too and I don't buy that ending at all....no way Don would leave 2 million dollars behind and do such a risky thing for no real reason. That's way outside his character.

I am only worried that it will end in the same tone that the Sopranos series finale had....just a fade to black with no real conclusion. I want to see more than a final shot of Don standing by the side of the road holding out his thumb or driving into the sunset or any other way to show that he just goes off somewhere and is never seen or heard from again....although I actually think that is more in line with the character's progression than anything else at this point.

I guess we'll all find out in six more days! Whatver the ending turns out to be, it has still been a great ride!

Hskrfan

06-30-2011

Monday, May 11, 2015 - 1:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hskrfan a private message Print Post    
I am hoping Don calls Sally and rushes back to New York. He won't go back to the Ad Agency. I am guessing he already has enough money to live a nice life. I read somewhere that only the 5 main actors (Don, Roger, Joan, Peggy and Pete) know the ending

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 2:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Did anybody else recognize Wojo from Barney Miller at the Veterans club? I knew as soon they showed his eyes.