TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 27, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Outlander: Outlander - A Starz Original Series: Archive through April 27, 2015 users admin

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 4:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
MameB - They're explained (and shown) in this video clip. They use special socks that have checks/colors on them, and that allows them to CGI the shape. Then Terry Dresbach and her costume designers created wedges in the shows that would make him walk differently; Ron said they let Gary's walk inform how they shape the legs.

For link CLICK HERE

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 5:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the detailed explanation Teach! xoxoxo As for the link, I'll have to try again later it won't let me in now.

Akwarlord47

06-26-2007

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 11:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Akwarlord47 a private message Print Post    
I have read the complete series of these books (multiple times) inlcuding several of the novela. And I was disappointed in the selection of Jamie, but after seeing the chemistry between the two actors (Jamie and Claire) I was hooked. I hope it is on for many season, because the books are great, with many opportunities for exciting TV production

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
How is tv Jamie different from book Jamie? (I tried reading the first book a few years ago but couldn't get into it at all, and don't remember anything about it.)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 4:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I don't think he's much different at all Mame. He hasn't had quite as many funny lines in the TV show, but that's a matter of time. I just saw an interview with Graham McTavish today (he plays Dougal), and Graham said Sam IS Jamie! He said it's like Diana knew Sam and wrote Jamie to match his character. Of course, since Sam was only 12 or 13 at the time, that isn't true, but it IS very cool to know that Sam is a good guy.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 11:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I think it's cool that Graham is that familiar with the books! :-)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 5:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
He, Sam and Cait all are. Sam had actually started to continue with Dragonfly, but then stopped because he felt like it would affect his performance...he wanted to stay in the moment where Jamie was at the time. He and Cait have both talked about reading DIA now that they're done shooting season 1. Cait said her sister read all 8 of the books in like 3 months after Cait was cast. :-)

Ron's wife, Terry (the costume designer for the show) has been a huge fan all along, as has his producer Maril. Ron obviously read them when Terry and Maril recommended them, and he said the Starz execs actually read ALL Of them, too! In addition, one of their main writers, Matt Roberts, has been a huge fan of the books for many years.

It's obvious from the production that it is the result of those who love the books and are trying to make the adaption one we will all love.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 7:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I read Dragonfly in Amber first, many years ago. I found it in the library bookstore. My sister read it then bought the rest of the books.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 7:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Ron?

Akwarlord47

06-26-2007

Friday, April 17, 2015 - 9:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Akwarlord47 a private message Print Post    
In the books, Jamie is described as very large, like 6'4 or greater with flaming red hair. Sam is well built and very good looking but not the image I had in my head while reading all 8 books.
But Sam has won me over none the less.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, April 17, 2015 - 3:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Ronald D. Moore is the show runnner/executive producer. Sam is only 1 inch shorter than Jamie, and Diana has said many, many times (when people think Jamie is a bodybuilder style hunk) that he is like an athlete - built but lean. She has said she modeled Jamie on her husband from the neck down, and they actually bulked Sam's chest up more. This is her husband:

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 6:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Whew! That was an intense episode this week!

Zeno39

11-09-2002

Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 7:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeno39 a private message Print Post    
Jamie is one good looking hunk!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 9:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Missed the first twenty Minutes. But the rest wS AMAZING.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Monday, April 20, 2015 - 10:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
loving this show!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, April 20, 2015 - 10:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Can anyone fill me in on what I missed in the first few minutes? I came in when they were in court and the priest was threatening to quit. And then I think they killed that nice old lawyer chap.

How did Jaime find out about the trial?

Denecee

09-05-2002

Monday, April 20, 2015 - 11:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
it was a miracle! lol, they didn't show how Jamie found out just what you saw.

they had a bunch of witnesses before the priest and the lawyer was able to show how silly they were. I watched it late Sat night so I might have forgotten what else you missed.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, April 20, 2015 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
LOL thanks 'Neecie! We see it on Showcase on Sunday nights.

I was wondering about it because wasn't he supposed to be with the banished Dougal and if so, where was Dougal who would have gotten the same info if they were together, right?

Denecee

09-05-2002

Monday, April 20, 2015 - 3:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
don't forget, we didn't see Gellis burned, right?

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Here's a recap:

www.ew.com/recap/outlander-season-1-episode-11

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 5:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Mame -- when Claire and Geillis are thrown in the Thieves' Hole, G accuses C of calling the deputies. C says, no - it was probably you dancing naked in the woods and so NOT secret about it that even your maid knew. G says not to worry, Dougal will save them, whereupon C informs her that Colum has banished Dougal and sent Jamie with him as babysitter. No one is coming.

A man throws a nasty loaf of bread down the hole for them, and C tried to tell him that she's married to Jamie Fraser, the laird's nephew, and she shouldn't be there. He says he's King Arthur -- deal!

G offers to share the bread with C, and when she refuses G says at least lie down with me so we can stay warm. C stays where she is and a verra' cold night for both ladies follow.

The time waiting for the court people to arrive in town is not clear, but finally they are hauled up and presented to the court. Ned Gowell shows up and tries to get the trial canceled by citing the law that repealed witch trials. When the courst says, sorry - this is a church affair, he says Scots law allows for a witch to have a lawyer.

The first witness is Jeanie, G's maid. She buries them for an hour. Ned then shows her to be a malcontent with her job by reminding her that she looked for a job at Castle Leoch and called her employers flatulent and a flibbertygidget.

Next is the mom of the changling baby who said she watched and saw C putting a spell on the baby. C says she was only trying to help. Ned then asks the mom why she WATCHED instead of trying to protect her baby. Score: Ned 2 - Witnesses 0!

Final witness for the first day was an unknown man - Allistar. He claimes he saw Geillis on the ramparts in a storm. She opened her coat wide and FLEW! Court dismisses for the day with Ned not even questioning this man - opinion appears to be he's lost his mind and it isna' worth Ned's time.

As Claire and Geillis are being led out, Ned follows a bit, and C asks if Colum sent him. He says, NO - Colum would be upset to know I was here and he slips a whisky flask into her pocket for warmth.

That night in the Thieves' Hole, G and C bond over shots. G reveals she wants Dougal because of his support of the Bonnie Prince. She loves him but doesn't even mind that he's not faithful. She's also been diverting Arthur's money for the cause, so even if she burns she feels she's made a difference. After professing her love for Dougal, she asks Claire if she loves Jamie as it's his name Claire cries out when she's sleeping.

When they are taken back to court the next morning, the first witness is - GASP - Miss Witch herself, Laoghaire from Castle Leoch. She says that she went to Claire for a potion, but that Claire hexed her and used the potion for herself to steal Jamie away from her. When asked about the potion, C says it wasn't really a potion - she was just trying to help. When Leghair says that Claire hit her, THAT seems to be the worst crime of all and the judge asks C if she really struck the woman? C said yes, but it was because Leghair put an illwish under their bed AND tried to seduce her husband! Lots of yelling occurs until the judge tells C to be quiet - she is an embarrassment to herself!

Ned pretty much shows Leghair to be sad little girl whose heart has been broken, but then Father Bain arrives -- right where you came in. :-)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 5:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I LOVE this show! Sam IS Jamie, and the emotional depth that Lotte, Cait, and Sam displayed this episode was simply amazing.

And can I please, please, please get a T-shirt that says either "Well, Claire, it certainly isn't a May pole?" or "I guess I'm going to a F**king barbecue!"

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 12:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
OMGOSH, thanks Hecka & Teach!!!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Almost every version I tried to watch tonight had sound problems. Were there sound problems during the show on Starz? I finally found one that worked. So Claire is 27. How much older is she than Jamie? It's been so long since I read the books, I really don't remember.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, April 27, 2015 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I THINK he said that when she would be 45 he would be 40.