TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 29, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Mad Men: Archive through April 29, 2015 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 11:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
We are part way into season 3 and I have a quick question.

Back when this was first airing, were you guys getting angry at how Don treated Peggy?

Daydreamer

05-30-2008

Monday, August 18, 2014 - 7:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Daydreamer a private message Print Post    
Naja, to answer your question, No -- that's just the way many men treated secretaries back then.

Also, if you're patient you'll see that over the course of the entire series the relationship between them evolves and becomes one of the most complex in either of their lives (both good and bad).

Pam2uall

10-25-2006

Monday, August 18, 2014 - 8:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pam2uall a private message Print Post    
Naja, I did. I have always had a love/anger reaction to Mad Men. I have loved the character development, as well as, the authenticity of both the physical environment and the social structure of the times. And while I appreciate the authenticity, I have also, more than once, wanted to bang some heads together when seeing certain aspects of that social structure played out.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 10:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

My DVRs are filling up with my other shows because we are spending every evening doing
Mad Men. Tonight we just finished up to Season 4, ep 7, "The Suitcase". It's the one where almost the whole show was Peggy and Don. It was Peggy's birthday but Don made her stay late to work on the Samsonite campaign. They ended up getting loaded together and having a fun night. It's also the night Don found out The first Mrs. Draper died and that Peggy was sleeping with Duck. It was one wild rollercoaster night.

I was getting sad that it's almost over, but then I realized I still have 39 eps left to see, plus the second half season 7....LOL

Another funny thing....Here I thought I had to hurry up and catch up before the new season started. Then I found out it isn't back until next spring

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 6:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Ewww I forgot about her sleeping with Duck. I believe The Suitcase was one of the more highly rated episodes by the critics.

Smokey

07-07-2003

Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 12:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smokey a private message Print Post    
Back when this was first airing, were you guys getting angry at how Don treated Peggy?

Naja, yes. That's what I meant by my comment above. It really bothered me, but it made me remember things being that way. And, my mother, who believed she had to be this "good wife". My mom was so much like Betty Draper! Having cocktail parties for my dad's friends, etc. etc. It just made me feel some old feelings and be grateful things have evolved.

As Daydreamer stated, it's very cool to see their relationship and relationships with others, evolve.

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Monday, August 25, 2014 - 4:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
The Suitcase was the first episode of Mad Men I saw and got me hooked! I had heard of the show, but never watched it. Then, one Sunday morning I turned on the TV which happened to be on AMC from something I watched the night before. Within a couple of minutes I was totally caught up in this episode. Enjoyed it so much I watched the other episodes that aired that morning, then ordered all of the available seasons so I could watch them in order.

On the subject of the treatment of women. It's not pleasant, but it is an accurate depiction of the times. After I becaame hooked, I started giving the DVD's to my cousin thinking she would enjoy the show. She didn't make it through the first season. She's in her mid 60's and said it brought back too many bad memories and anger over how badly women were treated back then.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, April 03, 2015 - 7:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Only 2 more sleeps until the next ep!

Hskrfan

06-30-2011

Monday, April 06, 2015 - 7:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hskrfan a private message Print Post    
Glad to see Don back in charge.
Sad to see Don back to his old "bad" habits

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Monday, April 06, 2015 - 5:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Don has the weirdest dreams! And last night's show had him dreaming of Rachel when she was in fact dead or dying! The same as when the wife of the real Don Draper died.
Seeing Peggy and Joan at odds with other is sad, when they should be united in a common cause. After that awful meeting where those men made all those crude remarks, and Joan got very quiet and Peggy just kept steering them back to business, they had a common enemy--not each other!

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 7:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
But Joan and Peggy have always been at odds.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 8:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
That's true. But I thought as the years go by and they are still working together, they see they should stick together. Mellow out a little.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 11:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I don't think Joan "gets it." I think she's one of those who has always tried to use her body to get ahead yet gets mad when guys make comments. She wants both sides of that coin. It makes me crazy. She really is a smart woman.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 3:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
You would think Joan would be too smart not to see how she didnt have to use her charms to get around in the workworld. She seemed so smart when it came to dealing with people men and women and now she is stuck in a quagmire of being thought of as sexy and brainless by men.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 10:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
It seems like French Marie was taking out her own hatred of men on Don.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, April 13, 2015 - 8:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Did French Marie leave her husband and go with Roger? Is that what we were supposed to assume?

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 5:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Does anyone know where I've seen Diana the waitress I looked her up and she's on several vampire diaries but I don't watch that. SFJF are you there?

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 5:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
She's been on lots of things. See her list at IMDB.

Two notable things I think you may have seen are Grey's Anatomy and The Good Wife.

Elizabeth Reaser
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0714147/reference

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 5:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I didn't find that thanks. The only thing I could have seen her in was Greys or Bonnie and Clyde.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 7:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I'm beginning to wonder if Don hasnt just dreamt up this relationship with Diana! Nobody has seen them together--even in the elevator the doctor and Sylvia didnt acknowledge her. She seems like a female version of Don in a way too.
The scenes with Megan Marie and the sister could have been done away with. The whole thing really did nothing for the episode but waste time. The part where Harry tried to lure Megan into bed with the carrot of new parts coming her way was good.
So short that scene with Don making Chocolate shakes for his sons and then watching his wife and her husband take over with the kids not missing him at all.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 9:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Why did Megan change her tune? First, she said he didn't owe her anything then when they met to sign papers she was hostile.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 10:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I'm beginning to wonder if Don hasnt just dreamt up this relationship with Diana! Nobody has seen them together--even in the elevator the doctor and Sylvia didn't acknowledge her."

She seemed pretty real to me. I think the doc and Sylvia were just being "polite" by not directly engaging the woman whom they assumed to be just another one of Don's one night stands.

Don introduced the Doc and Sylvia to Diana in the elevator, too. The doctor even made some innuendos about Don having sex a lot, saying something about how Don needs to keep up his strength, as he alluded to all the women he brings home.

Afterwards, Donna even asked Don how many times he's been seen in that elevator with different women.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 4:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
You can see how things are winding down on the show--Don is selling his penthouse, which the realtor felt was old and sad feeling. At work Don s not the hot new kid of Madison Avenue, others are comng up and they resent him getting by on his looks--but he has talent as well I think. The one project he had to work on was something passed around that nobody wnated to do.
Sally and Betty are moving along in their lives. Even poor \glen who probably wont make it back from Viet Nam.
Did Joan really say to her new boyfriend that she would give up her son for him??? She seems to have a new man in her life at any rate. Peggy probably will have that dream job in her future.

Donsgirl

08-01-2005

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 7:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Donsgirl a private message Print Post    
I really do not think that Joan was serious about getting rid of her son. Or I hope now. I am going to miss this show but am hopeful that there will be a movie in the future or something so we can all have an update.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 6:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Wow, Glen!!! Talk about growing up