TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 21, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Random Discussions: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 21, 2015 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 11:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Re: Galavant, this is what I wrote on the Downton Abbey thread: Oh my bleeding heck!!! I just watched Downton Abbey and the silly show Galavant that precedes it. And until a moment ago I had NO IDEA that the singing PIRATE KING on tonight's ep of Galavant was none other than: Hugh Bonneville - Lord Grantham!!! And I just found THAT out on Facebook! The funny thing is that I told hubby that the actor looked familiar but I couldn't place him. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I am still reeling from this as he was in full (MONTY PYTHONESQUE) Pirate Regalia with makeup and costume!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 4:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I was surprised to find there is no thread for Hannibal (NBC show). I just binged watched the first two seasons. Mads Mikkelsen is excellent as Hannibal Lecter! Loved Hugh Dancy and Laurence Fishburne as well. I'll set up a thread when the third season starts this summer in case there are any other watchers.

The first season is free on Amazon Prime (second season available for purchase). Comcast/Xfinity only had the last three episodes of season 2 available online (jerks) where I am. Netflix has it on DVD, but it is unavailable to stream. It can be gory. I had to cover my eyes several times. When Hannibal cooked, I contemplated becoming a vegetarian.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 4:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
There's a thread for Hannibal. Several of us love it! :-)

The thread is much lower on the page since the season ended quite awhile ago.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 5:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
COOL! Thanks, Naja! I swear I scrolled through the list three times. I'm losing it.

Off to read it... :-)

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, January 19, 2015 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
The other day it hit me, I was watching the 40th year of SNL, the 28th year of the Simpsons and the 14th year of Idol and I remember when we got our first TV when I was 5 and didn't even know what a TV was, all that TV watching over the years and it has come to this.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
After that former contestant on Biggest Loser spoke out over the way she and others were treated on the show, others have come forward about thier experiences on cooking shows and it sounds as if they were treated pretty badly too!
http://nypost.com/2015/01/25/apprentice-hells-kitchen-top-chef-reveal-torture-behind-scenes/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=
NYPFacebook&utm_medium=SocialFlow

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Monday, January 26, 2015 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Now the last winner of American Idol is trying to break his 'oppressive' contract!
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/american-idol-winner-files-bold-767088

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, January 26, 2015 - 8:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I remember that guy from Just desserts - he was nuts. I would doubt anything he says. I have heard the magic elves were the best of the bunch, but they won't be perfect, still, this guy was insane on the show, fans were saying he should be sent home because he was crazy and one day he left, that is all you have to do, walk out into the street and you are removed from the show. It happened on Project runway when the magic elves did that show.

As for biggest loser contestants starving - excuse me - it is a weight loss show, wouldn't surprise me, what did they think? It was going to be ice cream sundaes?

I have heard Apprentice was unpleasant even the celebrity one was grueling with the hours they had to appear before camera and the judging of all reality show and apprentice take hours of filming before they get what they want to show on TV. The main complaint I have heard on top chef is that they give them wine while they wait and sometimes it is hard to stand up for the judging. Most reality shows do give them lots of liquor for drama. Not the biggest loser though. Sounds like sour grapes though. NY post - what can you expect from a tabloid,they are pretty close to the Enquirer level now

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 10:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I have read many times that they sit in the stew room on Top Chef for anywhere from four to six hours awaiting the judges table - with plenty of wine and beer.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 12:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Finally got caught up with Sherlock, what a fantastic 3rd season. How wonderful that Cumberbatch's real life parents played his on-screen parents and that Martin Freeman's real life partner played his on-screen wife? What great chemistry resulted!! Now I have to wait another 11 months for new episodes. 😞

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Red Band Society has two new shows tonight on 2. I guess Fox is playing out the rest of the episodes.

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 5:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
Jon Stewart is leaving The Daily Show...

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/446/jon-stewart-announces-retirement-from-the-daily-show/

(I'm a bit shocked at this- I'd have thought he'd go until after the 2016 elections, but maybe he doesn't want to go through another presidential campaign season)..And with him leaving, the longest-running person in late night at the end of 2015 will be Jimmy Kimmel (started in 2003)

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 5:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I was just coming to post that, Wilson. I am going to miss him so much.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 5:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Nooooooo! I love Jon Stewart!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 6:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Maybe he'll take Brian William's place. :-)

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 8:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I hope he doesn't, too be honest. He needs somewhere he can be free to do what he wants to do, not tied to a news script. I wonder if he'll make another movie. I'll certainly miss him a lot, it's rare you get a chance to see such intelligence and heart.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 8:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Since his reason for leaving is that he doesn't want to go through another presidential election season, I doubt we'll see him doing anything in the "news" category at all. Comedic or serious.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 8:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
There's some irony for us , a fabulist posing as a journalist and a journalist that's a fabulist. I Didn't care to watch either one of them.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 10:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Each to their own I guess.

Sounds like they're going to still keep the format of the Daily Show just find a new host, or at least that's what they think now.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 11:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
They should fill Stewart's spot with a conservative...such as Colbert. He really tells it like it is! :-)

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 11:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
well, seems to me the reason people watched stuart was the excellent research his team did - they have some great clips.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 1:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I'm so bummed!! I love Jon Stewart.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 8:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Can I get some advice?? There is more and more talk of these Smart TVs, and the Samsung one is giving some problems with voice recognition that you have to watch what you say while the tv is on because you are being listened to and recorded!!!

Why have voice recognition if it has to be kept shut and paranoia in our house makes us wonder who is listening to what we say? These tvs are too smart for our own good??

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Instead of posting this in News and views, I thought I would post this here because it is solely about TV.
I thought I was going crazy. I have been having to watch TV shows with closed captioning lately because can't seem to catch the conversations in real time. I try listening, but it is just too hard - so them there was this article

Cable Channels Speed Up TV Shows To Cram In More Ads
now it is more likely to happen to reruns or movies.
but what you may not have noticed is that some cable networks are actually speeding up shows and movies to squeeze in more commercials.
This is according to the Wall Street Journal, which reports that TBS and others are using compression technology to play content back at a slightly faster clip in order to get a few more seconds of air time for ads.
Reruns of Seinfeld, Friends, and other shows are getting the rapid playback treatment on top pay-TV networks like TNT and TBS, and most people are none the wiser. And even movie classics are being sped up, as one expert on The Wizard of Oz noticed during a recent airing on TBS.
“Their voices were raised a notch,” he tells the Journal about the already high-pitched Munchkin characters in the 1939 film.

I guess the answer is to go netflix. I am going to try and set up Roku tomorrow and if it works will buy a on line service. I would really like to be able to listen to shows and not have to read and listen to them.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 9:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I know the first inclination is to be upset about it, but if you watch all your shows on a DVR and FF the commercials anyway, it seems pretty nice....LOL

I use one of my laptops as a dvd player, and one of the settings in the dvd player app lets you play the movie slightly faster, and you and can't even tell. It shaves 10-15 minutes off a movie!

I think maybe the only time I would be mad about this is if I am watching something live. Which I rarely do.