TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 16, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul: Archive through February 16, 2015 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, February 09, 2015 - 1:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I noticed the first 3 eps have Mexican titles. Uno, Mijo, and Nacho. The 4th is titled Hero.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, February 09, 2015 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
ta :-) I didn't recognise the word.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, February 09, 2015 - 2:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I just wanted to say I said "Mexican" instead of "Spanish" titles because I was thinking about Nachos coming from Mexico. But yes I realize the words Uno and and Mijo are Spanish language words....LOL

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, February 09, 2015 - 5:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Uno, Mijo, and Nacho. The 4th is titled Hero".

Aha! I found a tidbit that may explain the name of episode 3. I do not consider this a spoiler, but I put it in the black box just in case some folks don't want to know anything that hasn't aired:

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
Michael Mando ("Orphan Black") plays a criminal named Nacho Varga.

I got it from this short article:

‘Better Call Saul': 5 Things to Know About AMC’s ‘Breaking Bad' Prequel

LINK to demanjo.com

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, February 09, 2015 - 9:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I do like that Nacho guy's face, there's something very appealing about him. It looks like Tuco might have just been a guest part to introduce Nacho, and Nacho will be the main baddie/colleague for a while. But wow was the first half of the show hilarious tonight!

Daydreamer

05-30-2008

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 7:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Daydreamer a private message Print Post    
Kitt, Sanfran -- the hit and run driver is Tuco's grandmother; he confronted Saul by asking why Saul was harassing "mi abuela" ("my grandmother").

Either a parent or a grandparent would call a son/grandson "mijo."

The actress who plays her, Miriam Colon, has been around forever. If she really is the (soon to be) wheelchair-bound, bell-ringing psychopathic grandfather's wife, Saul is in trouble.

Loved Michael McKean as the brilliant and successful older brother with crippling mental issues. Loved seeing how good Jimmy/Saul is to him.

Loved that even in his post-Breaking Bad, Cinnabon worker life Jimmy/Saul keeps yet another new identity in a Go Box. (Along with some printed pictures and their negatives. I wonder who he's blackmailing?)

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 10:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I did a little google on the wheelchair guy. Apparently Tio Salamanca is Tuco's uncle, not grandfather. And at the time of Better Call Saul, 2002ish, he might be living in that compound somewhere in South America where he was when he first met Gus that time and killed his partner. Not that that means he can't make an entrance on the show!

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 11:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I was so relieved that the second episode was so fun and exciting!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Kitt, Sanfran -- the hit and run driver is Tuco's grandmother; he confronted Saul by asking why Saul was harassing "mi abuela" ("my grandmother")"

Doh! And I knew that was his grandmother, too! LOL My poor brain is starting to go.

I got turned around when she called him "mijo" which which I knew was a term of endearment for "son", but also a term of endearment from a older person to a younger one and can also mean "my dear" "sweetie" or "hun.".

Thanks Daydreamer for keeping me on my toes!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 1:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Special Agent Jeffrey Steele from Operation Kingbreaker.

Looking forward to next week with Nacho. It's nice to see the actor playing such a different part than he did on Orphan Black.

Melfie1222

07-29-2002

Friday, February 13, 2015 - 9:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Melfie1222 a private message Print Post    
About the opening with him working at Cinnabon... towards the end of Breaking Bad when he and Walter have decided to take on new identities, he predicts that if he's lucky, he ends up managing a Cinnabon in Omaha :-)

Better Call Saul - Breaking Bad References

I love this show so far!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 5:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Can someone explain to me what's going on with Chuck? I guess jimmy is representing him. Why did he leave the law firm. What is wrong with him when he says I'll get better. Why does he not have any electricity. That whole part has me scratching my head. I guess I missed the set up or something.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 7:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Chuck is one of the partners in the law firm and Jimmy/Saul is trying to get him to cash out his share in the firm because Chuck has gone nuts. They haven't said out loud that he is nuts, but that's how it seems so far. Maybe some kind of schizophrenia. He thinks anything electrical causes him physical pain. That's why there is no electricity in the house. Chuck thinks the space blanket helps block the electricity.

Beverleyc

05-15-2011

Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 9:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beverleyc a private message Print Post    
Chuck appears to have agoraphobia (fear of open spaces or of being in crowded, public places like markets and fear of leaving a safe place) brought on by a form of electrophobia (fear of electricity)which seems to include a fear of electromagnetic forces present in electricity, electrical appliances and even static electricity in his case. That's why Saul, who is Chuck's brother, has to leave his cell phone,watch and keys in the mailbox. He also has to "ground" himself by touching the contraption outside the door thereby ridding himself of static electricity. It does seem that his phobias are extreme to the point of appearing to cause him physical pain. Although not proven some people really to seem to be sensitive to electromagnetic forces which they say can give them headaches. And some studies have shown that living near high tension wires, conducting large amounts of electricity, may even cause or encourage growth of cancer cells.
I wouldn't be so fast to say, in the story, that Chuck is just phobic, he may actually be extremely sensitive to electricity. Although since he thinks he will "get over it", it does seem to be a mental issue.
When I was younger I was very sensitive to ultra high frequency sound waves. I could hear dog whistles (let the jokes ensue lol). There was a store we used to frequent that would drive me crazy because their security system, even when not activated, would emit a high pitched whine that hurt my ears and gave me a headache. One day we went in the store and I told them their security system was broken because I couldn't hear it that day. They said it wasn't but the next time we went there they told me I had been right. I knew they had gotten it fixed because I could hear it again. I tried not to go to that store very often as you can imagine.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think you might have been able to hear a wider range of frequencies, Beverly. Some people can hear either lower or higher frequencies, but for all the higher frequency end deteriorates with age, which is probably why you can't hear so much now.

Anyone been to an aquarium or zoo where they have an electric eel? One I went to with an old boyfriend, not sure where it was, had a thing on the outside where you held both ends and it measured how much electricity travelled between your hands. They had a "normal" range in the middle and that's where I fell, but my boyfriend's went right to the far end. Strange that it can vary so much.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 2:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I got the feeling that it was made known to us that it's all in Chuck's head. Everything Jimmy/Saul says to Chuck pretty much goes along with that.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 3:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I think it's just all in his head, too....like how someone with arachnophobia may actually feel like the nasty little creatures are crawling on him when they're in a place with a lot of spiders. It's the anxiety that makes them imagine it.

I am arachnophobic but not nearly as bad as some. I can easily deal with seeing them in terrariums at a zoo or a pet store or on TV (unless it's something like a well defined spider tattoo on a neck and I was not expecting to see it, but I'll get over it within a couple of seconds in that case)....BUT if one is out loose and comes toward me, or if I just spot it on the ceiling, I immediately freeze and I feel that creepy shiver and the hairs on the back of my next stand up and I realize I'm holding my breath. It's all just a mental/physical reaction and I always laugh afterwards but I feel just like what it looked like Chuck was feeling when Saul made him remove the space blanket.

I have no problems with snakes, though...I used to have a couple of 'em as pets. :-)

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 4:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Apparently my husband and I can not multi task while watching bc neither one of us realized Chuck was mentally ill. I couldn't figure out the cell phone. I figured he threw it outside so no one could trace his whereabouts but I knew that was useless and I thought the space blanket retained heat and it was cold in there. I'm slow.

Beverleyc

05-15-2011

Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 9:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beverleyc a private message Print Post    
I guess I was kind of arguing both sides of it. I did say that since he thinks he will "get over it", it does seem to be a mental issue. But it might be a combination, he might be sensitive to electromagnetic waves which may have set off the phobia or mental problems. Didn't mean to ramble on.

Spoton

09-16-2005

Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 11:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spoton a private message Print Post    
Awww, Sanfran - I too learned early on to like snakes, thanks to a wonderful 2nd grade teacher. We had pet snakes in our classroom. She also taught us to like avocado -Ha!

Spoton

09-16-2005

Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 11:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spoton a private message Print Post    
(And I also fear spiders. ..trying to get over that)

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Here's a little thing about Chuck's illness and the "nocebo effect."

http://www.theguardian.com/science/shortcuts/2015/feb/15/better-call-saul-electromagnetic-hypersensitivity-real-health-risk

Beverleyc

05-15-2011

Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 1:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beverleyc a private message Print Post    
There's actually a Stephen King story called "The Ballad of The Flexible Bullet" in the book "Skeleton Crew" that is kind of similar to Chuck's "condition", all about electrical interference in a character's thinking/brain. It's an interesting read even if you are not a Stephen King fan.

Beverleyc

05-15-2011

Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 5:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beverleyc a private message Print Post    
Oops, I meant with the character's delusion that electricity was interfering with his and another character's thinking and brain.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 12:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
(505) 242-6087