TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 09, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul: Archive through February 09, 2015 users admin

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Saturday, August 02, 2014 - 3:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
I. Loved. It.

Just binged watched it all recently. I literally did not sleep when I got to the last season. Great writing, acting, everything.

Iheartkaysar

08-16-2005

Saturday, August 02, 2014 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Iheartkaysar a private message Print Post    
This will be one of the shows I will watch from start to finish again in a couple of years. brilliant.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, December 03, 2014 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I can't wait for the prequel to Breaking Bad ("Better Call Saul") to hit the airwaves....

Wow...I just checked imdb.com and they show that the premiere episode of "Better Call Saul" is scheduled to air on Feb 8, 2015.....That's the same night that Walking Dead returns for the second half of season 5!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3032476/episodes?season=1&ref_=tt_eps_sn_1

In the meantime, here are a couple of BCS promos:

Greeting From Set: Better Call Saul
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BuuXf5L4wA

Sneak Peek: Better Call Saul: No Parking
(This looks like the first meeting of Saul and Mike!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds4FZmVG908

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, December 03, 2014 - 10:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Since Better Call Saul is a prequel to Breaking Bad, should we just amend the title of this thread to "Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul" rather than starting a new thread?

I'm thinking that whatever happens with Saul in this new series will be instrumental in helping him become the Saul we already know and love from Breaking Bad. There's plenty of opportunity in a prequel for the writers to let us know where some of the BB characters (besides just Saul and Mike) came from and how they got to where they were in Breaking Bad. In any case, I'm sure there will be plenty of references to Breaking Bad in one way or another.

Personally, I'm hoping to see cameos of Walter and/or Jesse in BCS (maybe in the premiere?) because they could have easily crossed paths with Saul at some point or another, but I'm not holding my breath for such a treat.

Anyhow, whaddaya think? New thread or combining them?

Can you tell I'm getting really excited about Better Call Saul?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, December 03, 2014 - 11:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I thought Mike was Gus's guy, not Saul's?? Good to see he's alive though ;).

I vote for the combined thread!

It would be wonderful if Jesse did a cameo! He's the sort who might have needed a dodgy lawyer from time to time.

I'm a little nervous about getting excited about it, just in case it... you know... sucks, but I'm sure I'll be more enthusiastic nearer the time!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 12:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I'm excited for this! Woo hoo! I LOVE Bob Odenkirk. He is so funny.

A combined thread works for me. It helps Breaking Bad live on. :-)

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 1:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I thought Mike was Gus's guy, not Saul's??"

I'll admit I'm getting old and my memory plays little "senior moment" tricks on me from time to time, but IIRC...the first appearance of Mike on Breaking Bad was when Saul sent him to Jesse's home to clean up the place and get rid of his girlfriend's body after she choked to death on her own vomit.....(as Walt watched and let her die).

I think I remember Walter telling Saul about it and then Saul sent over a "cleaner" who turned out to be Mike. I guess he could have been in the series earlier than that scene, but it's the first appearance *I* remember of him.

----------

<a few minutes later>

Aha! I just searched the 'net for info and it turns out we're BOTH right! He worked for Gus AND Saul!

From Wikipedia:

Mike Ehrmantraut

Michael "Mike" Ehrmantraut was a former Philadelphia police officer who worked as the Head of Corporate Security at Los Pollos Hermanos, hit man, consigliere, and enforcer in Gustavo Fring's crystal meth operation. On occasion, he served Saul Goodman as a private investigator, cleaner, and fixer. He is the secondary antagonist of Season 4 and the main antagonist for the first half of Season 5.

<snip>

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Mike_Ehrmantraut

----------------

From that description, it sounds like Mike was probably already in the picture before that getting-rid-of-Jesse's-girlfriend's-body scene that I remember seeing him in.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 2:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Aha again! I checked that Wiki site further and found that the scene I remembered Mike in actually was his first appearance on the show. At the link above, it listed Mike's first appearance:

"First Appearance "ABQ""

I followed that link and found this:

ABQ

"Summary
At his apartment, Jesse Pinkman frantically tries to revive Jane Margolis, but fails. Devastated, he calls Walt, who assures him everything will be okay. Holding Holly White in his arms, Walt says, "I know who to call."

A short time later, a man whom we later know as Mike arrives at Jesse's duplex. "Saul Goodman sent me," he tells Jesse. Mike gathers the drug paraphernalia and Jesse's cash, clearing away all the evidence. Smacking the shell-shocked Jesse, Mike forces him to rehearse the script he is to follow with medical investigators. "I woke up, I found her, that's all I know," Jesse repeats."

<snip>

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/ABQ
------

Btw, I vote for a combined thread, too!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Thank you for finding that info! I wonder if Gus will even come into the show, if he's worked for both of them in the "before" days. Maybe a bit cheesy but it would be fun.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 1:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I haven't yet heard how long before Breaking Bad this prequel is supposed to take place. That could answer some questions.

Thanks, Mods, for the thread title update!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 2:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It's set in 2002 (BB started 2008). The quote is very badly phrased but it sounds like they really might get close to BB time in flashforwards.

AMC also released two new photos, shown here, and noted in the press release that the show is a prequel — possibly putting aside speculation about the show’s flexible timeline.

“It is period,” said Gilligan, stating it takes place in 2002 and adding that “we tried hard on ‘Breaking Bad’ to try not to be too specific where it is.”

Still, he later teased, “you saw on ‘Breaking Bad’ that we like nonlinear storytelling.”

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/better-call-saul-cast-1201261529/

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I ran across a good article about Better Call Saul....no spoilers but it does give a good idea of the direction of the show.

Breaking Bad's Walt and Jesse Will Not Appear on Better Call Saul This Year
By Hanh Nguyen, TV GUIDE
Published 10:00 pm, Friday, January 9, 2015

Sorry, Breaking Bad fans. "Walt and Jesse will not appear in Season 1 [of the upcoming prequel series Better Call Saul]," co-showrunner Peter Gould said at the Television Critics Association winter previews on Saturday

That's not to say there won't be plenty of callbacks to Breaking Bad when Better Call Saul makes its two-night premiere beginning Sunday, Feb. 8 at 10/9c on AMC. "The sky's the limit," co-showrunner Vince Gilligan said. "Any characters could conceivably show up in future seasons... but if it feels like a stunt, we've done something horribly wrong."

<snip>

More at the link:

http://www.seattlepi.com/entertainment/tv/tvguide/article/Breaking-Bad-s-Walt-and-Jesse-Will-Not-Appear-on-6006662.php

-----------------------

ALSO - Note that the premiere of "Better Call Saul" will be a TWO NIGHT EVENT! It will air on Sunday Feb 8 and Monday Feb 9 on AMC.

Here's another short article plus a new trailer:

http://www.tvguide.com/news/exclusive-better-call-saul-trailer-1091253.aspx?rss=news&partnerid=spi&profileid=05

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 11:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I like the "This Year" part of that title! I'm not sure where the show is going and find it hard to believe it could capture the magic of Breaking Bad, but I'm hopeful.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, January 12, 2015 - 4:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I just love that actor that plays Saul. Until I saw him in BB, I didn't realize how many shows and movies he's been on. After I saw him as Saul, I seemed to see him everywhere.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Haha. Walter White was in a Super Bowl ad. He played a high strung pharmacist in Walters cooking gear.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 8:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I loved seeing Walter White. Cracked me up. LOL.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 8:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I loved it....LOL

Extended cut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9dtWCKHz4s

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 10:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the link, Naja. So funny!

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, February 02, 2015 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
There is some kind of 5 minute preview on tonight for "Better Call Saul". My guide says it's at 10:15 central time. So I guess that's 11:15 everywhere else.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 12:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Don't forget Saul premiers tonight.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, February 09, 2015 - 9:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I thought the first half of last night's show was pretty weak, then when he started working with the skater brothers it got a lot better. I hope they keep up with the better stories and that they didn't lose too many viewers with the first 30 minutes.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, February 09, 2015 - 1:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I actually dozed off several times in the first 15 minutes of the episode! But in the show's defense, I'll admit that I woke up 3 hours earlier than usual yesterday and I couldn't fall back to sleep so I was just dragging all day long!

The opening scene with Saul working in the Cinnabon is one of those out-of-sequence moments like we saw in Breaking Bad a lot. I'm guessing the reason behind that scene won't fall into place until much later.

They make it appear that it takes place long after Jimmy changed his name and started his new practice as Saul Goodman and even after he lost that new practice because he was working at a Cinnabon and then came home was reminiscing over his old Better Call Saul TV commercials. Is it possible that the Cinnabon scene could be set 12 years later, after Breaking Bad ended?

The best part for me in the premiere episode was the final scene. Tuco the crazy, blue meth loving, whackjob is back! (He's the actor, Raymond Cruz who also plays Det. Sanchez on Major Crimes) That makes me think that possibly his wheelchair bound, bell ringing grandfather (pre-stroke?) and maybe even Gus Fring could show up as well. IIRC, Saul knew of Gus Fring before Walter did. A lot of great characters got killed off on Breaking Bad, but remember, they're ALL alive (somewhere) during the time Better Call Saul takes place.

So far both Tuco and Mike are part of this prequel storyline. We knew that Saul Goodman had a lot of shady connections on Breaking Bad, but now I expect that we'll get to see how he made those connections.

I'm giving this two thumbs up....the promo for this season has a real Breaking Bad "feel" to them so I have high expectations for it. Hope I'm not disappointed.....

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, February 09, 2015 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, I think the Cinnabon scene was showing him in his new life on the run after Breaking Bad, and this whole show is kind of him reminiscing about his humble beginnings before it all went so horribly wrong. The very first (I think) shot of him showed him from above and he had a bald patch, whereas in this new show he has a full head of head.

Tuco was a shock!! Oh yes it would be good if the dad is in there, presumably the hit and run driver was his mum. We know he has some sort of "relationship" with them before Breaking Bad, so they could feature in this show. The actor who plays the dad looks so much younger than his wheelchair bound character he'd be perfect to show as a younger man.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, February 09, 2015 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
My impression was that the opening cinnabon and townhouse scenes were exactly what you thought. It was after he was settled in with his new life after Breaking Bad. And everything else was pre Breaking Bad, or rather Saul's life before Breaking Bad.

I felt a little sad for him looking at his old commercials.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, February 09, 2015 - 1:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"presumably the hit and run driver was his mum"

I'd say definitely that's her son because she called out "Mijo!" when she went into the house.

Conjoined spanish slang of affection. Mi + hijo, "my son." Can be said to any man or boy, usually by an older person. Can also mean "my dear" "sweetie" or "hun."
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mijo