TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 20, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: American Horror Story: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 20, 2014 users admin

Alisons

01-10-2003

Saturday, November 01, 2014 - 4:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Alisons a private message Print Post    
In the article they describe Dandy as a Sociopath but I think he fits the clinical description of a Psychopath better.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, November 01, 2014 - 7:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
that was a great article! I never watched the 2nd season. I need to watch it on netflix

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, November 01, 2014 - 10:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Pamy, the second season (Asylum) was a lot darker than all the others combined. A friend of mine who really enjoyed seasons 1 and 3 couldn't get through Asylum...he told me that "it was too depressing and it just didn't go anywhere". Apparently he stopped watching just a tad too early because it eventually went "everywhere"! :-)

He even missed the big song and dance number by the inmates who sang "The Name Game", led by Jessica Lange!

I agree that it was often depressing and very dark, but I LOVED the varied directions it took and I especially loved the way it ended.

Asylum had some great guest stars that weren't in seasons 1 or 3 such as Joseph Fiennes, Chloe Sevigney, Adam Levine, Mark Consuelos, James Cromwell (and more) were in it.

Panda

07-15-2005

Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 7:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
Twisty was awesome, the actor didn't even have to say anything!

I would say Dandy is pure evil, killing because he likes it and Twisty killed because he actually had a mission for himself. Not that it makes it better but you know....

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 7:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Sanfran, ty for that info! Im glad you told me. It will help me stay with it and not give up. The few people I have talked to said they liked that season better than Coven so I would have started watching it with high expectations and may have given up.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 7:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I too stopped watching season 2 for the same reasons. I stopped about half way in, about the timevSarah Paulsens character got thrown into the asylum. Is it on Netflix?
Anybody have info on flipper man?

Jasper

09-14-2000

Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 9:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Asylum was my favourite season, so far.

Watching the last episode and Twisty being killed off I thought for a moment that the season was over! This is certainly a most bizarre bunch of characters.

I actually looked up the actor who plays seal boy. He does have a subversive lifestyle from what I saw of him, which was quite a lot! His story that he gave wasn't really that much, that he was ridiculed, came to, America to finda better life, but it was the depression and he turned to the freak show.

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 11:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
The first season was my favorite. I watched Asylum and enjoyed where it went at the end, but all of the religious overtones disturbed me.
I'm not an overly religious person, but my Catholic upbringing left me very disturbed by a lot of the scenes in season 2.
I thought Coven started out strong, but by the end I didn't care about any of the characters or the story and deleted the season finale off my DVR without watching it.
So far, I'm enjoying this season very much, but wish all the scenes weren't shot with such a dark background! I find myself having to rewind constantly because I can't see what's going on.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 5:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Thanks Jasper.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, November 03, 2014 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
As much as I am loving this season, I was kind of hoping it would be able to make it to the end without anything "supernatural" for a change.

I figured that all the stories that come with the "freaks" would be enough. I guess not.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, November 03, 2014 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I don't like super natural either.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, November 03, 2014 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
It's not that I don't like supernatural, but the first 3 seasons depended on it for the story, and I thought this season might be a change.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 6:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I've never been a fan of ghosts and goblins (creatures) but the scenes with the Grim Reaper guy didn't really bother me but please no weird gargoyle looking creatures or apparitions, not bc I find them scary but I find them lame.

Gldnlvr

08-03-2007

Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 11:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gldnlvr a private message Print Post    
I just started watching this show this season and I'm hooked. Now I need to go back and watch the previous seasons.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, November 07, 2014 - 8:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
So Strongman is gay, that explains the bearded lady and the hermthadite. Elsa gets jealous,Interesting to see what happens with the twins.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, November 08, 2014 - 5:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"So Strongman is gay, that explains the bearded lady and the hermthadite."

Not really. Del being gay (or possibly bisexual) only explains his being in love with another man.

Oh yeah...and there is no hermaphrodite in this show (so far anyhow). The Angela Basset character was misidentified as male when she was born due to a hormonal quirk that caused her to grow an extra large clitoris....but the doctor explained to her that she has always been "all woman" who has never had male genitalia.

I guess if Del is actually "gay", then the fact that he lives in an extremely homophobic society is what explains why he has had relationships with those women.

I know this is horror fiction, but so is assuming that gay men are attracted to mannish women. Gay men are attracted to men.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, November 08, 2014 - 5:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I don't assume that SFJF, but I feel that is what the writers were implying, that strong man was trying to pacify his desires for the same sex by having relations with women who had manly attributes. I imagine that was what some would do back in those days.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, November 08, 2014 - 6:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I feel that is what the writers were implying, that strong man was trying to pacify his desires for the same sex by having relations with women who had manly attributes"

I get that, but he did that because of homophobia, not because he was gay. Even today, many gay men get married and raise families and spend a lifetime denying themselves the lives they deserve because of homophobia, not because of their orientation.

Being straight or gay is simply one's orientation, AKA what one "is", but the way one lives one's life in a hostile society is what they "do" in order to survive.

What one "is" and what one "does" are two different things. Del didn't date "manly" women because he was gay. He dated them because dating a man would cause him to live in socially imposed shame and ridicule and it could get him arrested or killed.

Yeah, I'm being nitpicky with words....but I've spent too many years hearing that being gay is the "reason" why a gay person does inexplicable things like suicide, drugs, lies, etc... But the real culprit is a homophobic society judging and condemning gay people.

I guess the best way to explain what I mean so you can understand is if I said something like "because she's a woman, she's cannot do the job of a CEO", but the truth is that "she cannot do the job of a CEO because the men in her company are misogynists so they deny her that position of power".

It was just your wording.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, November 08, 2014 - 7:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
No problem, I understand.

Alisons

01-10-2003

Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 9:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Alisons a private message Print Post    
RIP Ma Petit. I knew she wasn't going to last. It seems like they have to kill someone off every show, wonder who is next?

Panda

07-15-2005

Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 9:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
What Penny's dad had done to her was the real horror of the show!
Didn't see that coming!

Ma Petit -she'll be missed!

Marameko

07-14-2002

Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 10:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Please remind me how Penny got hooked up with the "freaks " in the first place, was she the candy stripper in the first episode who met Elsa at the hospital ?

Jimmy had a nice singing voice!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"was she the candy stripper in the first episode who met Elsa at the hospital ?"

Yes.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 2:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Thanks Sanfran.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 8:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I was soooo sad about MonPetite!

agree the dad (good to see Beecher from OZ) did the worst thing ever! but now she will be lizard girl and live amongst the freaks. her bf values facial beauty I wonder if he will reject her now