TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 14, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Doctor Who/Torchwood: Archive through September 14, 2014 users admin

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 1:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I will be out of town on the 23rd...thanks for the reminder - gotta make sure my DVR is set!

A new Doctor....

Nyeratheart

09-03-2010

Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 4:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyeratheart a private message Print Post    
Kitt, i did see those episodes! Love me some Captain Jack. I follow John Barrowman on Facebook. He's a hoot. Just started Torchwood. Haven't made it thru the first episode yet. Life keeps getting in the way . How dare it! ;-)
Hi Reenie! Then Intruders premieres right after it with John Simms. Looks really good too!

Kellee

07-07-2004

Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kellee a private message Print Post    
I have been gearing up with Torchwood, and I keep having to hide my eyes hubby thinks it is hilarious.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 9:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The first season of Torchwood is especially good. But it is a bit dark sometimes, and gets darker. I Owen.

I'm looking forward to Intruders too. You have to be so careful with BBC America, quite often shows don't tape unless you put tape everything (rather than tape new) but so far my dvr has put Intruders on my to do list.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
****somewhat vague spoilers*****

I tried to watch Intruders but then something so awful happened towards the end that I had to switch it off.

I'm watching the DW aftershow and have no idea who the woman on the couch is though she looks vaguely familiar. Maybe I saw her on one of the clip show specials?

I really agree with Wil Wheaton on two points - a) I also would like a more alien Doctor for a change (I've said before that was something I really liked about Eccleston's Doctor); b) I too was reminded of "The Girl in the Fireplace" (one of my favorites) with these robots harvesting living parts (poor T Rex).

Several of Strax's lines & 12's remark that time travel is how he usually picks up girls were pretty funny.

I didn't care for the repeated comments about how old 12 is (even 11 got in the act). It felt like they were making apologetic pleas to "New Who" fangirls & boys to give Capaldi a chance.

I felt a little smug for immediately figuring out the "other side" riddle but then that turned out to be a trap, lol.

I think it was the 50th anniv special that gave me a sense that this season was to be the search for Gallifrey (though it seemed they found it in Smith's swan song) but tonight 12 told Clara they needed to find the mystery woman in the shop who gave C the Doctor's number (Sherlock references abounded). That perked up my ears. I mentioned before I was curious about her identity. Sally, please! Though Rose was also a shop girl. As was Martha, briefly. And there's a few other possibilities too. Or maybe it'll be a surprise.

I wonder if they will bring Romana back if they do have a search for Gallifrey?

Very strange & intriguing final scene for this epi. Scary lady.

Loved the new opening credits with the clockworks (really fit in with robots).

Wargod

07-16-2001

Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 9:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
To be fair to the newer Who fans, I understand their dismay over an older Doctor. It took me a long time to warm up to Matt Smith cuz I thought he was too young (and David Tennant will always be my favorite Doctor.) Oldest niece is just not sure she's going to like this Doctor at all because she thinks he's too old and Matt Smith is her Doctor.

We haven't watched tonights episode yet, it's family watching here. Not just me and Darren, Caleb and Kota, but the three nieces come over to watch too. Younger two nieces have just gotten into Doctor Who and they are very excited about the premiere. We'll watch sometimes this week when everyone is here to enjoy it.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 10:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I thought it was a bit lacking storyline tonight, and too many attempts at humour (although many were good). I don't like the general concept of Clara not liking the Doctor, it doesn't seem right somehow. But then I haven't particularly liked Clara all along, too independent. Nice to see Lizard lady and friends though.

I wondered if I was meant to know who the shop girl was who told Clara the Dr's number, but I didn't. Then after that last scene I thought maybe it was that woman, and it's an upcoming storyline.

I haven't got to the aftershow yet.

(Intruders - didn't care for that part either, Calamity. I was hoping it would be a good show but it was a bit of a muddle.)

Calamity

10-18-2001

Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 10:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Of course there's a period of adjustment for viewers, getting used to a new actor with a new interpretation of the role. But the tone of these exchanges just seemed to me to be very superficial & kinda desperate. The show did make a point of having Madame Vastra chide Clara for her unease about the Doctor's change but that rang a bit hollow what with the moaning over Capaldi's gray hair & whatnot. I'm sure others may have seen this differently however.

I survived Peter Davison switching to Jon Pertwee* & ended up really liking both of them so I think today's kids & young adults can adjust from Smith to Capaldi.

*I first saw DW when I too was a youngster and our PBS station was airing Davison's run. He regenerated into Colin Baker but all we saw was a brief glimpse of him (I didn't realize at first what happened - thought his suddenly curly hair meant he'd had some sort of shock). The channel then started airing Pertwee's episodes so he was my "next Doctor" rather than C.Baker.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 10:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
I'm kinda hoping that woman in black wasn't the one who shared the Tardis' telephone number, Kitt, if only because I'd love it to be someone else, but you could very well be right.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 11:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Funny you mention Pater Davidson, there was a huge outcry (or as huge as things were in those days) when he became the Doctor, because he was so young and good looking, and was extremely well known from All Creatures Great And Small (a very popular tv show about a country vet). Now the outcry is because the new Doctor is so old!

I agree very much with the word "superficial," that's exactly what the conversations between Clara and Mme Vastra. It just felt like an unnecessary waste of time and didn't contribute anything.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 9:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Wargod: I hope I didn't sound curt in my reply. It was late & I was typing on my phone.

Kitt: I'm leaning more towards your idea. The woman in the shop seems to have wanted to bring Clara & the Doctor together and that was also the intent of the newspaper ad. And then we see the woman in black with the frankenstein's robot from the restaurant. Perhaps there is a link. I'm really hoping there's not too much conspiracy-laden murkiness this season though. Just give us great stories even if they don't involve an over-arching theme.

Btw, did your mind also flash to Kryton's Silicon Heaven when the robot guy was talking about Paradise?

I hope you weren't in the quake zone.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I am visiting my daughter and she does not have BBCA,so I will have to wait to watch! I am enjoying all your comments.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 11:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?! Yes, that's exactly what I thought about! :-)

We're fine thanks, the rumbling woke us up but no damage at all down here.

Nyeratheart

09-03-2010

Monday, August 25, 2014 - 10:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyeratheart a private message Print Post    
First off, Kitt I'm glad to hear you're ok. Though I would kill to have that weather year round, I don't know if I could handle the earthquakes. Very scary.

Finally watched Dr. Who yesterday. I thought it was pretty entertaining. And I agree about Clara. She is not one of my favorite companions. She just comes off high faluting and above everyone and everything. IMO did I say she's not a favorite? Lol

I love that Mme Vastra, Jenny and Strax were back. That little potato head makes me laugh every time.

It's going to take me a while to get used to the new Doctor. He was good but it's such a change from Matt Smith and David Tenant (my favorite!) that it would take a few seconds every time he came on to connect that he was the doctor. I'm sure I'll get over it.

Can't wait to see the rest of the season! Oh, and I saw, I think on the BBC America FB page, that Clara is leaving at the end of the season. Wonder who will be next?!

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, August 25, 2014 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed the whole episode including the banter. I have a friend who lives outside of Amsterdam and we always touch base the `morning after` and he liked it as well. I think he`ll be a good Doctor. (I still haven`t gotten over David Tennant leaving though)

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, August 25, 2014 - 9:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Thanks Nyer :-).

I think if Capaldi gets a new assistant that suits him he might fit the part better. I think they did him a bit of an injustice making so much of the episode be about how he wasn't the Doctor. They should have just let him do his thing and not almost apologised for their choice. Still, hopefully next episode will feel more settled.

Curlyq

07-10-2002

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 - 2:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Curlyq a private message Print Post    
Did they get new writers this season? It didn't feel at all like the show I'm used to. I'm fine with the new Doctor, and I've always liked Clara, but it just felt like the writing itself was awkward. It had its moments, like Clara getting knocked out in the window. But I think making the lizard lady such a major element was a mistake. She was kind of upstaging the Doctor by being more in command at all times. If memory serves me, David Tennant spent quite a bit of his first episode lying unconscious in Rose's home, so there's some precedent for a Doctor's first episode being Doctor-light. But I still felt a bit disappointed that this Doctor was so...out to lunch in this episode (for lack of a better description).

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 - 4:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
I was reading SOMETHING (memory has more holes than swiss cheese these days) and Moffat was quoted as saying that the BBC offered him the opportunity to do a whole spin-off show with the Paternoster Gang (that's the official name for the Madame Vastra, Jenny and Stax trio) but he declined because he didn't have the time to devote to get it done properly. (wikipedia!! That's where I read it LOL).

I love the new doctor. I think he fits right in with all the others with the exception of Matt Smith whom I never really warmed to. I like Clara as well, although I was just so relieved to be past the Amy/Rory years that anyone was going to be a step up. LOL I still wish Martha would have had more time and hope she and Donna get to appear on occasion.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, September 01, 2014 - 10:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I liked the latest episode as well. And I do like the new Doctor, I find him funny and occasionally a little reminiscent of David Tennant (for me). It's nice to have a Doctor who is not as hyper as Matt Smith's was. And of course there is never a good Darlek!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Wednesday, September 03, 2014 - 7:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Was out of town with a non-Dr. Who crowd! Catching up now. Watched the 1st new episode. I think I am going to like the new Doctor. I was amused at the part when Matt Smith "called" Clara and said something like "oh no, don't tell me I am old"...

Beckie03

07-05-2007

Wednesday, September 03, 2014 - 5:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beckie03 a private message Print Post    
I've never posted in the Doctor Who forum, but I like the new doctor, but he'll never be David Tennant. I still picture him in ancient garb (he was in old Pompeii episode of David Tennant), but I think he'll do fine. I don't know though why there isn't as much banter, or maybe it just seems to be less. I miss it.

What I don't like is the whole heaven thing. It just seems so out of place.

Nyeratheart

09-03-2010

Saturday, September 06, 2014 - 6:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyeratheart a private message Print Post    
"I am the Doctor...and this is my SPOON!"
Laughed so hard I cried. It struck my funny bone :-)

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, September 06, 2014 - 11:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
And what a big spoon it was too! I like him, he's more "Doctor" than the last few have been.

Nyeratheart

09-03-2010

Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 7:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyeratheart a private message Print Post    
He's growing on me Kitt. But David Tenant is still my favorite. Can't wait until tomorrow's episode. Looks creepy!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, September 14, 2014 - 4:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The dent from the bed above made me gasp!