TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 24, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: SCORPION : Archive through September 24, 2014 users admin

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 8:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I'm starting it's own thread because I think this show is going to be around a while. You have a group of four eccentric geniuses who have created a bond together. You have a single mother who didn't know her son was a genius until the main character recognized the behavior. Since the four have issues with normal relationships, she will be their guide in that area as they teach her about her son.

The main cast works well together and already have me caring about them. That's a big factor in a pilot episode.

There were 3 actors I was excited to see who played the air traffic controller and the two pilots: Patrick St. Esprit, Ernie Hudson and Alimi Ballard. All three have been around forever and paid their dues and I was hoping they might be a permanent part of the cast because I always like them but it doesn't look like it.

OH ~ And you also have Robert Patick as the government go between! Who doesn't love that guy?!

I will be shocked if this show is not one of the biggest hits of the season for network tv. It might be formula tv but it worked - at least for me.

Funny - I just checked on some reviews and they were pretty bad. Okay so maybe it is a bit of fluff and you definitely have to suspend your disbelief but after seeing a few episodes of the finale season of Sons of Anarchy where homicide is used simply for shock or humor again and again, maybe I just wanted to be entertained on a Monday evening. This show succeeded in that.

Not to mention - a family with children could actually watch it together without sex or foul language being thrown in their face to be cool. Imagine that!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 8:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Haven't seen it yet but I plan to watch. Sounds interesting!

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Monday, September 22, 2014 - 7:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Scorpion was EXCELLENT, a new must watch for me.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, September 22, 2014 - 9:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I agree Misspoufy - I was just popping in to say I really liked Scorpion!!

I'm wondering if the actors playing the pilots will have a recurring role since I've liked both as regulars on other shows.

Pjlover

09-12-2010

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 6:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pjlover a private message Print Post    
Oh no!! I missed Scorpion last night!! Watching or recording DWTS, The Voice, Blacklist, Forever and Under the Dome. I thought I had them all covered!

Pjlover

09-12-2010

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 6:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pjlover a private message Print Post    
Yea!! Just checked the TV Guide and CBS will repeat the Scorpion Pilot on Sat. at 9:00.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 8:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Shoot - While I was typing, Jimmer had the brilliance to start a thread as well, lol!

Jimmer - Can you move my post from the other 'scorpion' thread and then delete the thread I created as well as this post?

THANK YOU!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 8:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Actually, I left the thread you created Kappy (this one) and moved the posts over here. I'm always happy to see people posting and creating threads! :-)

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 8:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Dang you move fast, Jimmer!

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 8:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
I liked it for the most part. I missed something while taking care of my dog, why could the plane not land, it was the only one around?

Hskrfan

06-30-2011

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 8:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hskrfan a private message Print Post    
Liked the Pilot. Very rare for me to enjoy a network Drama. HBO and AMC and making the networks up their game. DVR set to catch future episodes.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 8:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Lol, Lazylu - I kept asking the same question - why doesn't the plane just land?! Then I was reading that the guy who did 'Fast and Furious' did this show and it was like 'oh okay so we have to have chase scenes and crashes because that's all the guy knows'.

I miss Numbers!

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 9:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
LOL Thanks Kappy.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 9:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
The plane couldn't land because the runway was too short, the main airports couldn't land them because the software was corrupt. Besides if they could land there wouldn't have been that great chase scene!

As for the "reviewers" I generally find if they hate it I'll love it. Star Wars comes to mind. It came out with terrible reviews and look what a classic it became!

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 10:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
In your opening post, Kappy, the first paragraph (aside from her having a son) sounds like it could read for Big Bang Theory - ha.

I watched it and also posted on my Facebook that they asked me to suspend belief on several things that occurred. Like a power voltage surge is going to make a secure storage facility just open right up, like the plane couldn't just land. They were talking to the pilots on the cell phone, they could give directions for approach. I don't mind suspending belief for things like Under the Dome and Lost but for something like this, I want it to be smarter, they are supposed to be geniuses.

Don't know how much I like the acting ability of the actress playing Happy. I know she is supposed to be ironic and not really Happy but it falls flat.

I always like to give a show three tries but I'm spoiled by the other shows about geniuses.

As a side note, I thought they were playing the young boy to have Asperger's, which he fits the description of. But, they fall short and just indicate he is a socially awkward genius.

Right now, the show asks me to suspend a lot of belief and if it continues, I will find it too boring to tune in. But, I'm willing to give it another try.

I think it fell short of the hype.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
Right now, the show asks me to suspend a lot of belief and if it continues, I will find it too boring to tune in. But, I'm willing to give it another try.

I think it fell short of the hype.

I agree, Jenjackso! Throughout the program, I kept thinking - "get real". You know "Under the Dome" is fiction. "Scorpion" has been hyped as based on real life experiences. What was in the program last night was not real life or real science.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 10:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
When they say the show was based on real life, they are talking about a man named Walter O'Brien. Here's a link to his website.

http://scorpioncomputerservices.com/the_founder.html

I'm hoping that with the next few episodes, they become a little more real and less about the car chases and plane acrobatics.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 11:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
I hope so, also. I think, too, the BB people's reaction to it added to the hype, but now I realize they are locked up in a house and anything would be great to watch at that point.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 3:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
ohmygod... what a terrible show this is. Ooops, I guess it's for the teenage generation...

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 4:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LMAO, Spunky, so far I like it. But I am only a few minutes in.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, I loved it, it is easy to just lose myself in the story. Even though it is somewhat farfetched my heart was racing and I enjoyed the show.

Interested to see what happens next.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 9:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
I don't mind that it's pure fiction. If I wanted reality I'd watch "reality" tv shows, there's enough of them out there (although I shudder at their calling it anything close to reality!) Excellent writing, kept me on the edge of my seat and I don't remember when 60 minutes went by so quickly!

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 7:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
Watched it last night and enjoyed it a lot.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 7:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I like the concept, the actors and the characters a lot. The writing wasn't very good though. Normally I'm very good at suspending disbelief but from a technical point some of the stuff that happened was simply ridiculous. They put in some things that were so glaringly bad that I couldn't ignore them. As one example, I simply cringed over the idea that a chess grandmaster could be defeated in eight moves. It doesn't matter how intelligent the kid is it just isn't going to happen. That's just incredibly dumb sloppy writing.

So I enjoyed it for the most part but I hope that they can pull it back a little and get a bit more real. Otherwise it could get too campy for me.

Sorry to be a bit of a downer. I like the idea and I want it to be good. :-)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 11:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Jimmer, see now I had no idea that the chess thing was so out of reality. Just proved to me how smart the kid was.

I guess it depends on what you know that makes it hard. I know there are some shows that make me crazy because I know stuff like you knew about chess.