TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 25, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: PBS Shows - General: Archive through June 25, 2014 users admin

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 4:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I'm trying to remember than name of a PBS series from many many years ago. Wasn't a documentary. It was set in India. I'm thinking India may have been in the title and/or maybe ruby. IIRC, it was British series.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Is this it?

It looks like a new series but it could possibly be a remake from the one you are thinking of from "many many years ago".

(I just googled: pbs ruby india to find this)

The Ruby in the Smoke

Sally Lockhart has just struck a man dead. Not with a weapon, though she has a pistol and probably the heart to use it. Sally killed Mr. Higgs with just three words — the seven blessings. Unfortunately, she has no idea what they mean. They were sent to her by her father, just before he drowned in the South China Seas, in a letter warning Sally of danger to come.

She had hoped that her father's colleague, Mr. Higgs, might have explained the mystery. Instead he died of fear. The only other person to witness this strange turn of events is Jim Taylor, the young assistant at the Lockhart & Selby shipping firm. With his passion for solving mysteries, Jim helps Sally begin to answer the questions surrounding her father's death. Together, they are quickly drawn into a mystery filled with opium, Chinese gangs, secrets from Sally's own past — and, at the heart of it all, the Ruby of Agrapur.

Sally's father came into possession of the Ruby many years earlier, during his time in India, and had since hidden the gem, leaving Sally a series of clues to follow.

<snip>

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/ruby/synopsis.html

"Airing Sunday, September 21, 2008 on PBS Check local listings"

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/ruby/index.html

Jasper

09-14-2000

Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
The Ruby in the Smoke?

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 6:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
No. Looked that up on IMDB. That was from 2006. What I'm thinking of is from MANY years ago. I'd think 1970s? I know I was thinking about it earlier this year or sometime last at least. Remembered the name then. IIRC, found DVDs on Netflix. Now I can't remember the name. Typical of me. Saw the series back then. Movie "Passage To India" was on local TV station here yesterday. That made me think of it -- minus the name.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 6:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I found it. It was a Masterpiece miniseries from 1984 -- "The Jewel In the Crown". Set in India. Jewel = ruby.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Some highlights of the PBS Fall 2013 Season (there will be otters):

Monsters and Critics

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 7:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I am enjoying this season of Call the Midwife just as much as the first two. Every episode makes me smile, laugh and bring tears to my eyes.

Is anyone watching Season 6 of Doc Martin? Somehow its missing a little something for me. He isn't just grumpy he seems down right miserable. And he looks ill. He may have just lost weight but if that's it I want him to eat a few scones. Now that he and Louisa are together I don't want them at odds with each other all the time.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, May 16, 2014 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
There's a British documentary series currently airing on PBS -- The Men Who Made Us Fat. From what I can find, it may be only three episodes. First two have aired -- first was basically on sugar, second basically super-sizing / portion size. Looks like third is on healthy foods / marketing of.

Very good reporting / info on the various subjects. I can't find anything about the shows on DVD. Anyone know anything more about it?

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, May 16, 2014 - 1:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
All I know is that you can watch all three episodes on youtube.

The Men Who Made Us Fat ''Episode 1/3''
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6nGlLUBkOQ

The Men Who Made Us Fat ''Episode 2/3''
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owekbSp7wU0

The Men Who Made Us Fat ''Episode 3/3''
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlQHXkOUjeI

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Monday, May 19, 2014 - 6:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
jasper, it has been so long since I have watched Doc martin that I have no idea what the last season was called. I think I may be over this show. But I am watching DCI Banks with Caroline Catz (Louisa on Doc Martin) as a completely different type of character. Her and the show are pretty good.
I am sorry that Call the Midwife is over for the season...Is Nurse lee coming back????
Mr. Selfridge had a fabulous season finale, I love when they are 2 hours.
what the heck will I watch now?????

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, May 19, 2014 - 8:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Irsnappy- I have the finale of Midwife and the last two eps of Mr Selfridge sitting waiting to be savoured. I still love Doc Martin for its band of characters, but this last season I was least impressed with. But I do still watch reruns. I also really like Father Brown and DCI Banks. I like Caroline Catz, if you ever see it listed watch Murder in Suburbia. I think I have mentioned Scott and Bailey as a good one too. Plus I've been watching Dalziel and Pascoe. Old yes but good stories.
I'm waiting for more new Inspector Lewis.

I was watching that new series Black Box and you hear her doctor talking before you see her and I immediately thought Call the Midwife because it was Vanessa Redgrave. (Not sure what I think of that show)

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, May 19, 2014 - 8:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
And I know what you mean, my Sunday night is vacant on the PVR!

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, May 19, 2014 - 2:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
PBS has the best of British drama and comedy.

For Mother's Day my DD purchased a year's subscription to ACORN which offers the best BBC has to offer. I think it is about $50 a year. I it is broken down into Drama, Comedy and Mysteries.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Monday, May 19, 2014 - 6:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I love Acorn. I watched the entire season 6 of Doc Martin during the summer.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, May 19, 2014 - 8:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I can't find the cost anywhere when looking at it from my IPad. I did think it strange that there are some Canadian shows on it. In the coming soon section it specifically says that Republic of Doyle and Murdoch Mysteries are not available to Canadians, but may be because they are Canadian shows, not British.

They do have Murder in Suburbia, so if you like that type of show I thought it was really good.

I just watched the finale of Call the Midwife, so very good. I'd watch all the seasons again. I don't think Jenny Lee will be back. I seem to remember in one of the extra bits at the end they said they had steered away in to their own storytelling once the memoirs were "used up". So hopefully they'll be lots of new stories with the same excellent quality.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, May 19, 2014 - 8:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
And thank you sanfran for the links. An excellent documentary. ( and colourdeagua for the mention)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 2:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I just started watching Miss Fisher's Murders and Dr. and Mrs. Murder, I think that is the correct names. They are quite entertaining.

Carrly

09-28-2000

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 4:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Carrly a private message Print Post    
I pretty much like all the shows on PBS! This Doc Martin season was so sad. He needs to make an appointment with his Aunt Ruth, his problems are getting worse. I haven't seen the last episode of Call the Midwife, I hated the death of Jenny's fiancé. Miss Fisher is pretty good, too, I had a hard time getting in to it. Selfridges was great especially when Agnes and Henri got together, Victor made a huge sacrifice. I hated Rose getting sick. The first season of Selfridges I really didn't like Jeremy Piven's acting, it seemed so forced and over the top. Now he has settled in to the role and I look forward to every episode.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 6:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Last week Nature had beavers, this week swarms.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 5:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I just discovered Call The Midwife. I love it. I'm glad Netflix gives you the convienence of watching several episodes at a time so I can maintain interest, especially with British shows. I'm alittle hard of hearing as it is and sometimes have a hard time understanding the dialog with all the different English dialects. Does Netflix have closed captioning?

Oliviamimi

05-30-2009

Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Oliviamimi a private message Print Post    
Lakecat have you seen any of the LilyHammer shows? Also Netflix original series. I am hooked on that.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 10:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
No I haven't. I'm looking for something to watch this Summer. Is it British ? Or Norwegian ?

Calamity

10-18-2001

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Did anyone watch "The Escape Artist" on Masterpiece Mystery!? My brother said it was good, especially the last half-hour, but I forgot about it. Fortunately our local station is repeating it overnight this weekend so I'm going to record it.

P.S. The title reminds me of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Their comic was the Escapist, wasn't it? I need to re-read that.

Nyeratheart

09-03-2010

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 5:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyeratheart a private message Print Post    
I recorded it this past weekend Calamity but haven't had a chance to watch yet. It got pretty good reviews. I love most of the British shows and David Tenant is in it which is always a good thing in my eyes :-)
Going to watch it this weekend. I'll let you know how it is.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
I watched it and loved it even though I NEVER understand anything David Tenant says lol.....and the last 1/2 hr was a total surprise.