TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 15, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Premieres (Scripted TV Shows): ARCHIVES: Archive through May 15, 2014 users admin

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, April 25, 2014 - 11:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Some new shows starting in May:

Rosemary's Baby on NBC, Sun May 11 at 9pm (mini-series based on the book)

Penny Dreadful on Showtime, Sun May 11 10pm (frightening psychosexual thriller, some of literature's most famously terrifying characters - including Dr. Frankenstein, Dorian Gray and iconic figures from the novel Dracula, all brilliantly reimagined in a whole new light - have become embroiled in Victorian London)

The Labyrinth on CW, Thu May 22 at 8pm (The historical miniseries jumps back and forth between modern and medieval France as it follows the lives of two women who are separated by centuries, but united in their search for the Holy Grail)

The Night Shift on NBC, Tue May 27 at 10pm (focuses on the men and women who work the overnight shift at San Antonio Memorial Hospital)

The Wil Wheaton Project on Syfy, Tue May 27 at 10pm (a weekly topical comedy show hosted by actor, blogger and champion of geek culture Wil Wheaton)

Undateable on NBC, Thu May 29 at 9pm (Confident, attractive and impervious to outside opinions, 29-year-old Danny - who may be in a state of arrested development himself - decides to help out his new roommate, Justin, and Justin's group of oddball friends. The gang spends most of their time at Justin's bar, helping solve each other's respective problems over beers, and while they love to give each other a hard time, they always have each other's back)

Crossbones on NBC, Fri May 30 at 10pm (It's 1715 on the Bahamian island of New Providence where the diabolical pirate Blackbeard (John Malkovich) reigns over a rogue nation of thieves, outlaws and miscreant sailors}

Sing Your Face Off on ABC, Sat May 31 at 9pm (a talent variety competition featuring celebrities who are transformed and trained to perform as a legendary musical icon)

And some of the bigger Summer/season premieres:

24: Live Another Day on Fox, Mon May 05 at 8pm
Louie on FX, Mon May 05 at 10pm
In the Flesh on BBCAmerica, Sat May 10 at 10pm
America's Got Talent on NBC, Tue May 27 at 8pm

Jasper

09-14-2000

Friday, April 25, 2014 - 3:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Canadians. - an older French series The Returned starts Saturday April 26th 10pm on Space

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, April 25, 2014 - 3:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The Returned aired on Sundance channel in the US last year, you might want to read through the thread here if you were interested in what others thought (gradually of course, to avoid spoilers).

It's good, and odd!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, April 25, 2014 - 6:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Kitt! You left out the May 27th premiere, at 8pm, of I Wanna Marry Harry!, which comes to us all the way from the UK in this, the latest plunge into the reality TV netherworld courtesy of our friends at Fox, who you'll recall brought us that other (similar) pop-culture phenomenon, Joe Millionaire, way back in '03.

This thing should be a hoot (fingers crossed). How on earth did they find a dozen women desperate enough to be bamboozled into thinking they'd get a real crack at marrying Prince Harry via a TV show?

Jasper

09-14-2000

Friday, April 25, 2014 - 7:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Kitt - I read some of that conversation last year and it made me want to see it so I was thrilled to see it come to Space.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, April 25, 2014 - 11:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It's definitely worth watching!

Uncle Ricky, in some angles he's a really good Harry-a-like, in others he looks nothing like him! I don't know how they could all be fooled! Do you think the ones who doubted it were mysteriously vanished in the night?!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 1:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Definitely a possibility, yes. Either that or they got the contestants nice and liquored up so that they couldn't really question Harry being "off" in the looks department. And speaking of vanishing, IWMH might itself disappear quickly if it doesn't hold its own against America's Got Talent in the ratings. I think initially it'll have a big curiosity tune-in audience.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 1:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Did anyone catch the season premiere of Salem?

I was looking forward to it...the images of the show and promos made it look like it would be very good, but I was disappointed. I expected to have questions after the first episode....who is a witch and who isn't? When will we find out who's playing who?

No such luck.

There was plenty of action and the story moved really fast but the character development was decidedly lacking. Right off the bat, the lines were drawn - this character is good, that one is bad...but they never really showed why they are the way they are. None of them seemed particularly deep or complicated which makes their reactions completely predictable.

I like bad guys to have a touch of something that makes me think there might be some good inside them...and for the good guys to suddenly do or say something that belies their good guy image. The characters on Salem's premiere were more like comic book characters....the villains are just villains and the good guys are just reacting to the acts of villainy committed by their villainous counterparts. No surprises.

However the imagery was amazing....that unholy scene with the guy walking that (crazy? possessed?) girl (witch?) on a leash as she supposedly sniffed out a secret witch was one of the creepiest scenes I've seen on TV in quite awhile. And the witch pulling a toad from her paralyzed husband's mouth and nursing it on a nipple hidden on the inside of her thigh was both disgusting and mesmerizing.

I plan on watching the next episode but hopefully, it will have more character development than the premiere had. I want to learn who the characters really are, not just watch them react to circumstances.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this new show?

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 1:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I loved the first episode of Salem. I thought it was a very exciting and original take on the story of Salem witches.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 11:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
For anybody that can't wait, the premiere of
"Penny Dreadful" is already in on-demand and also at showtimeanytime.com . The regular airing of the premiere isn't until May 11.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Naja! I'm interested in watching that one.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 1:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I've got Salem on the DVR Naja but haven't watched yet.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 9:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Has anybody watched the first half of the mini-series "Rosemary's Baby" on NBC?

I am so disappointed. I am hoping part 2 on Thursday will redeem it little.

(I had accidentally started a discussion on this show in an old premieres thread, and now I moved it here :-))

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 9:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I watched about a third of it and gave up. It was all right when she was outside in the streets of Paris but then when she got to the party and it all got weird I got bored.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 11:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Kitt, at this point I don't understand why they remade it. Unless what they have in store for part 2 on Thursday blows us away. I'll hold back until then.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 10:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
All the main networks have announced their schedules for the fall, here's the timetable:

fall tv 2014

If that's not legible (I can hardly read it) the bigger version is here: http://tvline.com/2014/05/11/fall-tv-schedule-2014-network-primetime-grid/ along with links to more info on some of the new shows.

Wednesday and Thursday are still really busy but Monday looks a lot calmer.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 10:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
So is Intelligence on the Fall roster? Can't remember the network.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 11:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Intelligence was cancelled.

There's a cancelled list in the Cancellations and Renewals thread, in the May 14th archive: https://tvclubhouse.com/forum/read.php?file=/6465/13025095.html&lm=1400084743

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Well you just broke my heart. (Insert sniffly-face) ;)

Seriously, I hadn't checked the original list in a while, so thanks for the link.

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 12:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
I guess the days of Little House, Waltons, Anne of Green Gables etc are gone.

I really don't watch much TV anymore. Some PBS, BBT, The Middle and Walking Dead and AHS.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 12:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Terolyn I also prefer kinder, gentler, interesting, uplifting, well-written TV programs.

I hate the popular forensic shows, like CSI and Criminal Minds, etc, which I find disturbing, and those faux reality shows like Gyspy Weddings, and The Real Housewives of _____ where they are encouraged to act like meanspirited loose-cannons.

ETA: There is a new show called Dead Letters Office (Or something like that) which is produced by the people who gave us Touched By An Angel. I saw one ep and enjoyed it. You might like it.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 12:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Terolyn I found it: 'Signed, Sealed, Delivered'. On the Hallmark Channel (I forget the Channel here in Canada, I just tripped over it one day.)

http://www.tvrage.com/shows/id-35139

And I HIGHLY recommend Downton Abbey.

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 1:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
Thanks Mame, I will look for it.

I like Downton Abbey. Really love call the Midwife and Doc Martin.

Seems like the pendulum is swinging in the direction of dark / gothic shows now. And while I do watch a couple it seems the market is getting saturated with them. Maybe in a few years shows that leave you feeling good will make their way back.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Jeepers Terolyn, I sure hope those quality shows come back. I am so tired of the lack of choice with so much dark drek on TV these days. I've heard good things about Midwife and Doc Martin. I really should check them out.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hey Kitt, I don't see The Mentalist on that schedule, did I miss it being canceled? I hope it isn't.