TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 14, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Mad Men: Archive through April 14, 2014 users admin

Dahli

11-27-2000

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dahli a private message Print Post    
i said out loud omg omg omg omg at that scene when they scrambled off the bed... reminded me of a rather brain bleach worthy moment of my own as a 14 year old LOL

The pass that Bob made at Campbell was really way too early and kind of odd considering the comment Peter made regarding the spanish gentleman just moments before. That struck me as out of place for those reasons and a bit jarring in the other wise perfectly believable shenanigans that go on at SC and partners...

Calamity

10-18-2001

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 12:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
I missed some stuff so I need to watch this epi again. I only caught the midnight replay since the Tonys were on earlier. There was one line by Don that was really good but I just can't remember it (it wasn't the bar one).

Very relieved the show has been picking up again, as it usually does each season.

The Sharon Tate theory disturbs me for a couple reasons. One, I like Megan and don't get why so many have it in for her. (I've always had at least a little sympathy for Betty too and it bothered me the way she was treated by the show along with the snarky-for-reasons-I-don't-understand-since-I-don't-follow-celebrity-gossip comments EW would make about the actress.) And two, even though the show has used real life tragedies as plot elements before, to murder Megan in any way that recalls the Manson killings just strikes me as incredibly callous and exploitive. Let the poor people rest, don't make their deaths into entertainment. I know that may seem overly senstitive or irrational but I can't help feeling that way. I guess the best I can hope is that the show does whatever it's going to do in as non-sleazy a way as possible.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 7:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I agree Calamity, it would be exploitive to dredge up Sharon Tate's murder. And I rather like Megan and feel bad for her as she is hooked up to a very damaged and unhappy person who will just drag her down too!

Calamity

10-18-2001

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 1:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Cablejockey, I know I'm kind of a namby-pamby on these sorts of things.

It would be understandable, though still unsettling, to me if the show were to reference the actual killings. They certainly were among the most infamously defining events of the decade. And actual assasinations, the war, and public unrest have all factored in the show before. But the idea of fictionalizing those attacks for what might appear to be shock value just seems so wrong and disrespectful. It's one thing to have tragedies happen to the characters on the show - awful things that happen in real life to real people all the time, such as heart attacks, suicides, sexual assaults, and dysfunctional families. I just don't know if I could separate the storyline from the real incident(s) in this case. Plus that headline, "Greatest Mad Men Theory Ever", is plain creepy. I get that others may feel differently and I mean no offense to Rosem4243 - the link certainly makes some intriguing, if macabre, observations and I thank her for sharing it here if only because I didn't know Megan had a miscarriage or abortion until I read it in the comments section there. I missed two episodes early this season.

Well, we don't know what's actually going to happen on the show so no use my fretting, all I can do is wait & see.

To change the topic to something brighter, I really liked Peggy & Pete laughing together as well as she & Joan collaborating in the previous episode.

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 8:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
Calamity, I didn't think of it in this way until I read your posts, and now I agree with you completely.

At first I thought it would be interesting, but you have changed my mind. I appreciate your insights, and I hope they don't go this way now.

Always good to get someone else's take on something, and I thank you.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 12:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Thanks for not being mad at me, Rosem! I really didn't want to come across as too judgemental but it was difficult trying to explain my feelings without sounding sanctimonious.

To be fair, I guess it really depends on how the show portrays whatever it is that may happen, if anything along these lines even happens, that is. For example, if it were to be some sort of symbolic death (that could be very effective) or even an actual attack but not something that looked too much like a "ripped from the headlines of the Tate-LaBianca killings" plot. Or, as I already said, the show references the murders but doesn't stage its own re-enactment. After all, the series did mention that terrible case of all those student nurses who were murdered, didn't it? Alternatively, it could have something to do with own of Tate's movie roles, not her own life (one of her characters commits suicide). Though yet another suicide might numb the audience.

I was born in 1969 and so don't remember the Manson Family killings myself but I do vividly remember first learning about them when I was a kid. The shock, horror, and sheer incomprehensibility of the story has always stayed with me and I think that's why I had such a visceral reaction to this theory, more so than if it may have involved some other notorious event from back then. As I admitted, it was maybe a bit overly sensitive & irrational on my part. It's hard for me not to think of the real victims who were so brutally slaughtered. It's one of the those "you never forget your first time..." things. For me, this was my first understanding of what evil there could be in the world.

There is one other, less emotional reason, I was bothered. I don't want Manson to gain new attention since he seems to crave that. Let him rot, alone and ignored. Well, maybe that is a bit emotional.

Honestly though, I hope there's nothing more to all this than the show including subtle nods to the turbulence engulfing the country at the time. I really didn't tune into that pilot episode of Mad Men expecting it to turn into a murder thriller. I wasn't expecting the first season mystery of "who is Don Draper?" either but that was something different. It fit with the show.

Sorry for the long, rambling posts, everyone.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Monday, June 17, 2013 - 7:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Sally asking to go to boarding school is like she is divorcing herself from her parents and wants as little to do with them as possible! Yet her mother sees it as a good social move and something she wanted to do but couldnt, and her father, well he is probably releived he wont have to look into her accusing eyes!
It was nice seeing Glen and a surprise that Sally would call on him to help her with those mean girls at the private school. I was thinking that she would have gone to bed with Rollo just because of her conflict with her father! But she has more sense than I thought. I wonder why sally announced to her mother that her father never gave her anything? If she meant morals and ethics, well her mother tried to instill them and got shot down everytime!
Poor Kenny getting hurt like that--really expected to see him killed. Now Pete is going to use this to his advantage. Funny how he uncovered Bob Benson's lie. Funny how Duck said only at their agency could this have happened.
I am really shocked that Don broke his promise to Ted about the juice and tried to scare him at the meeting with the client. And is Don slipping into madness putting down Peggy and Ted for being attraced to each other? After all the stuff he has done?

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, June 17, 2013 - 9:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Don broke his promise when he realized he had something on him after seeing him at the movie in the middle of the day with Peggy. That place is a hot mess.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Monday, June 17, 2013 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
It was good to see Peggy stick up for Ted and call Don a monster--although 'monster' is rather harsh. Peggy knows what Don is like, but is he jealous of Ted?
And that Rosemary's Baby/children's aspirin commercial idea was ridiculous!

Mictay

09-29-2006

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 8:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mictay a private message Print Post    
I thought Mad Men was soooo good last night but I'm a little confused as to who's going to California!

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 9:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I read somewhere that it's Pete AND Ted. They just decided not to give screen time to the Pete decision and had people put 2 and 2 together by watching the Trudy/Tammy scene. Reading other boards, they confused a lot of people, but it was an interview with Weiner that said Pete is going as well.

Hskrfan

06-30-2011

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 10:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hskrfan a private message Print Post    
The season finale won them the oscar again in my opinion. What is going to happen to Don. He is telling everyone his past. Tired of hiding.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
If only they could get an Oscar. It probably won them the Emmy though. It was a good, deep episode and things seem to be imploding just as all this season's episodes were leading us to believe would happen.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I guess it makes sense that Don is imploding after all the years of pretneding to be somebody else, but also having bad habits that constantly threaten to bring it all down around his head! I am surprised everything didnt come out way earlier! Such a sad sight though to see him leaving while his replacement strolled past him.
Peter's mother falling overboard was awful and ridiculous all at once. Pete and his brother were not bery broken up. I guess this saves them the cost of a funeral.
And what a weasely little rat Ted turned out to be! Why did he chase after Peggy only to dump her and run away? Because he caught her?
Loved the look Sally gave her dad after seeing his boyhood home!

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
I stayed up late enough to watch last night, but totally forgot the finale was on! Hoping the DVR picked it up so I can watch when I get home today. Everything I've read today says it was a great finale.

Mictay

09-29-2006

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 2:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mictay a private message Print Post    
Jon Hamm Is so good in Mad Men!!! Just had to say that!! He deserves all the awards!!!

Dahli

11-27-2000

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dahli a private message Print Post    
great episode! saw a definite resemblence between Don and Sally in the close... weird!

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 11:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
It was a great finale indeed--and most memorable was the closing shot of Sally and Don. He finally got her attention in a good way, I think.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 7:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I liked the look they shared. It was as if she's seeing him in a new light and it will give her an understanding of what his life was like when he was her age...vastly different from her life. It could explain a lot. Granted, he should have gotten over those issues and become a better man, but I think it will give her enough info to process what's going on in his head. This may be a turning point. I hope so.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 - 8:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I read the last season will be split in two ala Breaking Bad. They are only making 14 episodes. I don't know why they bother with only 7 episodes each in 2014 and 15.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 - 8:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
I agree, they should just show them all in 2014 and be done with it.

Holly

07-21-2001

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 - 10:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
This having us wait a year between episodes on so many of these shows is beyond ridiculous! Bah humbug!

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 3:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
Only one more week until the season 7 premiere! Wish they weren't splitting the season, and wish even more it wasn't the final season.

Hskrfan

06-30-2011

Monday, April 14, 2014 - 11:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hskrfan a private message Print Post    
Any thoughts on last nights show. Surprised Megan didn't leave Don. Waiting for others to realize Joan is the glue that holds the agency together.....

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Monday, April 14, 2014 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
I watched. Just love this show! I think Megan is probably having an affair and that's why she was so distant from Don. Eventually their marriage will fall apart. It's easy for them to stay married when they are living on opposite coasts and don't have to confront and deal with the problems in their relationship.
Felt so bad for Peggy during the final scene. For all of her success, she's so unhappy.
What a change in Ken! The fun loving guy has turned into a tyrant.
Nice to see Roger is still Roger. He just cracks me up.