TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 15, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Random Discussions: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 15, 2014 users admin

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Just noticing all the shows featuring JFK and of course the upcoming anniversary of his death. The one I'm watching now is going over the last day of his life and amid all the usual info and photos and film we have seen so many times, I am amazed at the colour home movies--so vibrant and clear, and they interviewed Clint Hill Jackie's Secret Service agent. He has remained mostly silent all these years and I heard he suffered a great deal of stress and anguish about Kennedy's death. So its interesting to see his take on things.
A lot of people will no doubt be groaning about all the coverage and rehashing of the story, but, as someone who was alive at the time and shocked by this murder, it is something that never really goes away because it was never fully resolved.
Kennedy was bigger than life, yet so easily struck down that it made a lot of people think about no one is above the threat of violence. The days after his death were pretty grim.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 5:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
That explains why the Kennedy mini-series is free on Netflix and Amazon at the moment (along with at least 3 other full-length movies). While I wasn't alive at the time, I am fascinated with his story, so I watch them all!

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
It was shocking when he was killed and then Robert was killed. :-(

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Monday, November 11, 2013 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Especially when it was in a public place and in their own countries.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Watching Sunday Morning today and Face The Nation--all dedicating the entire show to JFK. Of particular interest was seeing LBJ's daughters on each show. I don't remember ever seeing them speak of that day before.
CNN did a very interesting show the other night with much archival footage from Dallas tv stations that I never saw before. And seeing the police carrying Oswald's rifle with no gloves on seemed shocking in this day of forensics and trace evidence!!

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 12:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Did anybody get all emotional during tonight's ep of "What Would You Do?" on ABC?

I first started getting teary eyed during the segment with the undocumented worker being mistreated, but then I started sobbing during the beauty salon segment where the black gay woman was defending the white woman.

This show always gets me.

My own husband recently had a situation that was made for this show.

He went to the grocery store just to pick up a few things. And as he was approaching the check-out, a woman stopped him and begged if she could pay for his groceries with her food stamp card if he would give her cash to buy her husband's epilepsy seizure medicine.

He didn't want to think the worst, (or break the law), so he said he would go with her buy her husband's medicine for her, and she could keep her food stamp money for food.

So he actually walked with her to the pharmacy counter at our grocery store, and sure enough her husband's prescription was ready, my husband payed the $18 for her, she started crying that he did that without wanting anything in return.

I think I have the best husband in the world.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 7:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That is wonderful, Naja!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 8:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Wow, Naja! I would agree about your husband. So very kind of him.

My daughter and I like to watch What Would You do. It makes for interesting discussion. We didn't catch the latest episode.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 9:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
NAJA...what a nice story. How kind your husband must be.

Abby7

07-17-2002

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 1:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
naja, i watched that episode. yes, i did get emotional too. sich a kind thing to do (re your husband).

watched Six by Sondheim. documentary about stephen sondheim. loved it. left me thinking about so many things hours after i watched it.

Maplsyrp

02-10-2009

Friday, December 20, 2013 - 10:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maplsyrp a private message Print Post    
I have not been around in a long while so please forgive if this has been discussed already, but I found the first season of China Beach at WalMart for $19.99. I was really excited since I had only seen the whole series for sale.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, December 20, 2013 - 10:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
OLD. OLD. OLD. NBC sub-channel here in Chicago area is going to air a Christmas episode of Date With the Angels which starred Betty White. It was Season 2, Episode 14 which aired on December 13, 1957.

Link

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 9:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
SNL was so great this weekend. It's a never miss with Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 11:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I'm new to On Demand (using DirecTV). I'm trying to "bingewatch" Homeland over the holidays. I requested season one okay and they all downloaded to my dvr, now I'm trying to get season two and some episodes are missing. I've looked at sho.com and it says all episodes are available On Demand until July... is it common for some episodes to not appear one day and then appear later on? And is anyone else with On Demand missing episodes S2E1, S2E3 and S2E6?

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, December 23, 2013 - 12:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Kitt, your on-demand seems to work differently than my comcast on-demand. With comcast, if it's listed there in on-demand, you just click it and it plays, as if it was a recording on your dvr.

But yes, sometimes a few eps or a whole season will be there one day, and not the next. But they usually have a warning like "available until January 21" or something.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, December 23, 2013 - 12:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think it might work almost the same, just I wasn't explaining it well. You can either press play on the episode and start it immediately (using lots of internet) or you can request it to record, which means the episodes take half an hour or so each to appear, but then you don't notice the drain on your internet so much. If you do the record option once they're on your dvr playlist they're available to play instantly (without internet use) until they expire or you delete them.

All the On Demand episodes are listed as expiring July 1st 2014, and if I go to sho.com they say the whole series so far is On Demand until July, so the two sets match except my list of available episodes is randomly missing three episodes. Going to bed now so maybe they'll just as randomly be available tomorrow!

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, December 23, 2013 - 12:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Kitt, even if I didn't have comcast for internet and only had it for tv, I still could hit play for instant ondemand. I tried to explain that to you before, but you wouldn't believe me.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, December 23, 2013 - 12:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I don't know the answer to your question, though. I really don't look past whether they are listed in ondemand through the dvr. And if they are there, I just click and play.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, December 23, 2013 - 1:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Kitt, I looked back and I am sorry for sounding so horrible. It was reaction from back when I got aggravated that you wouldn't believe me about how comcast works when you were looking for a new provider. I knew one thing from having been with them for 10 years, but your salesperson was being mysterious about the facts.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, December 23, 2013 - 11:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I didn't not believe you, I just was trying to read DirecTV's directions using your experience and it didn't work! DirecTV, at least my set up, uses the internet for On Demand, it seems like only the current programming comes over the satellite.

So I just checked and the three missing episodes are indeed randomly there this morning! So I'm all set to binge!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 9:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
ABC Limits Next-Day Availability of Full Episodes

http://tvline.com/2014/01/02/abc-limits-next-day-streaming-of-episodes/

The network announced on its Watch ABC portal that starting Monday, Jan. 6, only those who can verify their cable subscription* — or those who use the Hulu Plus premium service — will be able to access full episodes the following day.

Those aiming to play morning-after catch-up without a valid cable service log-in or via Hulu’s free service will need to wait eight days after broadcast before new episodes become available for streaming.

Next-day downloads as always will be available for purchase on iTunes and Amazon Instant Video. On-demand viewings are also still an option, but again — cable.

* Providers include AT&T U-verse, Cablevision Optimum, Charter, Comcast XFINITY, Cox Communications, Google Fiber, Midcontinent and Verizon FiOS — but not DISH, DirecTV and Time Warner Cable

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 10:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
Bumped into Cougar Town tonight, airing after Big Bang reruns. Still don't think too much of the series, but it was a sheer delight to see Courtney Cox reunited with Matthew Perry in a fun episode that included a "flash mob" proposal of marriage. Only problem was that I wanted to see Courtney end up with Matthew rather than the rather staid person who is her husband on the show evidently. Courtney had lots of "sparkle" and so did Matthew in their brief reunion.

Made me think I would love to see a Friends reunion...how many years since the series ended, anyone know?

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 10:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Friends ended in spring 2004. So it's almost 10 years.

The Cougar Town people did a bad job of advertising the new season. I didn't even realize it has started until I saw your post, and I actually like the show now that it changed stations and can be looser.

Mamapors

07-29-2004

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 10:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamapors a private message Print Post    
I agree Naja. I had no idea it had started and I also like it. I watched the two episodes I had missed on the website.

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 9:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
Naja, thanks for the info re date for end of Friends: I had a feeling it had been a while! The actors Matt LeBlanc and Matthew Perry are both showing a handsome gray in their hair.

Agree re poor job of advertising Cougar Town: that Courtney Cox/Matthew Perry reunion should have been promoted all over the place. Instead, I just happened to be watching reruns of Big Bang Theory and bumped into it. I actually checked later to make sure it was a just debuting episode.