TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 12, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Sci-Fi Show Discussion: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 12, 2014 users admin

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 8:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
There's a thread for this now. :-)

https://tvclubhouse.com/forum/read.php?file=/6465/12106886.html&lm=1379431403

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 9:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Jimmer -Sorry I didn't see your message earlier. Thanks for starting the new thread.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
I'm not sure what I think about the reboot of Haven. I watched the premiere, but everything's different. I hope things get clearer soon. I do like the new female cast member, and the fact that the wrestler is going by his real name now, not "The Edge", or whatever it was. Maybe he can follow Dwayne Johnson to acting respectability. I look forward to finding out what they got for this season.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So I am watching the Star Trek movies on Syfy and I just don't understand how is it that going around the sun at warp speed creates a time machine, LOL?

Otherwise I am enjoying the movies, LOL.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 8:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
They stole that from Superman...he used to fly around the earth super fast to achieve time travel.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 3:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, but wasn't that to make the earth turn backward? I don't understand what the sun has to do with it but oh well, its Star Trek.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 11:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
supermanclock

See? It works!

Allietex

08-16-2002

Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 8:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Allietex a private message Print Post    
Actually they did it by accident way back in the original series. The idea was based on the slingshot effect to increase warp speed enough to time travel.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Slingshot_effect

The fun thing about Star Trek was that they did not try to make the science real, just enough to sound possible. After all it was science fiction. During the original series, when some authentic sounding science was needed, the writers would insert the words tecchnobabble. Then their science advisers would come up with something to fit the script.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technobabble

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Friday, December 06, 2013 - 5:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
Technobabble = awesome...I tried to use it to impress my friends when I was 10 years old and it worked!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, December 20, 2013 - 2:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Syfy have announced the premieres of their Monday goodness:
Lost Girl Season 4 at 8pm
Being Human Season 4 at 9pm
Bitten Season 1 at 10pm

Bitten's about the only remaining female werewolf in existence and stars the girl who played Kara in Smallville. It says it's a Canadian show but I don't know if it's aired there or not (I often find shows that have aired in Canada don't record if I set a season pass to "new" shows, so that might be something to look out for).

Little video about Bitten and the others at the link:
http://tvline.com/2013/12/20/lost-girl-season-4-being-human-bitten-syfy-promo/

Maplsyrp

02-10-2009

Friday, December 27, 2013 - 12:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maplsyrp a private message Print Post    
I saw The Faculty on Syfy last night. I had forgotten all the actors in it that have gone on to bigger things.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, January 10, 2014 - 11:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I am so excited about Helix tonight... a different take on how a CDC deals with a zombie-like outbreak. Looks really good so I'm hoping not to be let down!

Tonight on Syfy, 10-11.30pm, double episode premiere with limited commercial breaks.

Helix is an intense thriller about a team of scientists from the Centers for Disease Control who travel to a high-tech research facility in the Arctic to investigate a possible disease outbreak, only to find themselves pulled into a terrifying life-and-death struggle that holds the key to mankind's salvation...or total annihilation.

Helix is the product of some of the biggest names in genre television, starting with Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore (Battlestar Galactica). Also Executive Producing are Lynda Obst (Contact) and Steven Maeda (Lost, CSI: Miami, The X-Files).

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, January 10, 2014 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the heads up!

Scout

01-19-2005

Friday, January 10, 2014 - 12:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I completely forgot this was going to be on tonight. Thank you Kitt!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, January 10, 2014 - 10:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I like the story and the possibilities but it's coming off as a bit of a mess to me right now. I think it's because there are so many people not talking to each other when they're all in such a perilous situation their protocol would or at least should make them have to update each other all the time. Like the vet woman didn't mention the monkey for how long? And they have people they now know are intent on infecting others yet they shower with music on so they can't hear if anyone comes in?

I'm still hooked though!

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 11:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
The loud music bothered me also. Why in the world would you have music playing when crazies are running around loose? Parts were kind of cheezy, but still think the story has possibilities. It reminds me of the movie "The Thing".

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 11:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Oddly enough, my DVR only saw one 90-minute episode, but the reruns have the episodes as two 1-hour episodes....

I'm confused.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The 90 minute episode had "limited commercial interruption" so was actually two single one hour episodes minus adverts (although it did have some short ones). All the repeats on Syfy seem to be showing the two episodes (Pilot, Vector) each with their own hour.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 1:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Kitt, thanks for the explanation! So I have the 90 minute Pilot recorded, I don't need what they are now billing as epi 2?

That's probably why the DVR didn't pick it up.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 1:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yeah, the 90 minute show is all you need until next Friday :-).

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Perfect, thanks!

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 5:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Watched the premiere of Bitten (Cdn) last night. From the previews I thought it would be something our girls would watch with us (they love all that werewolf stuff) but after the 2nd somewhat graphic sex scene we nixed that. LOL Was a rough beginning to the viewing and we didn't love it but worth another view.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 8:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Wathced "Helix" last night. I'm not sure about that show. The character development wasn't happening for me so I don't feel invested in anyone. I find a lot of it too unbelieveable and I'm all for a good ride ie "The Dome" which had a lot of that too. I will check out one more episode and see how I feel.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Bitten's on in the US tomorrow night, Rissa. I wasn't sure about either, the female based vamp/wolf shows tend to swap sex for story very quickly. There was one only a couple of years ago that did the same, although I can't remember what it was called and it might even still be going. I will probably try it Monday but it doesn't sound like I'll want to keep on watching.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 3:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
What bothered me about it Kitt was the total irrelevance of the nudity to the story. It's not like the show as a whole is very edgy, just tossed in some nudity for shock value. It was nice to see so many Cdn actors and for Toronto to actually BE Toronto and not a stand-in for a U.S. city which happens a lot. The main character's (Elena's) boyfriend is one of the worst actors I have seen in a long time but hubby thinks he will get eaten soon so won't be an issue. LOLOL