TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 17, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Doctor Who/Torchwood: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 17, 2013 users admin

Roteach

06-01-2003

Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Thanks for posting the IMDB link Kitt. That was the next place I was going.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 1:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
OMG! I just read this news on the IMDb main page. Peter Capaldi is a hoot, and very foul-mouthed, in the BBC series 'The Thick of It'. He played the same role of Malcolm Tucker in the movie 'In the Loop'.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, August 05, 2013 - 5:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
I think it's a brilliant choice! Glad they went with someone with a few more years under his belt. Looking forward to Christmas!!

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, August 09, 2013 - 4:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Found this at rogerebert.com ( Stephen Moffat Destroyer of Hopes and Dreams. Interesting, if a bit hostile. LOL I agree with his general attitude about Moffatt, haven't enjoyed the show as much since he took over and would love to see Russell T. Davies at the reins again. The show is British so have no issues with Moffatt hiring British Doctors from here until forever. If he had hired an American for the role I would never have watched again, would have been pandering (which I can see is hypocritical based on what I go on to post LOL) The public can say a female Doctor would be great but would they follow that with their viewership? I would have but I can easily imagine the show would have lost a lot of men and what good is breaking new ground if it loses you ratings (and possibly the show)? An Asian or Indian (or etc) Brit though? Ya, I could easily see that that would work. Guess we see now what he does with the next companion, which may be Christmas 2014 but I would bet on 2015. I am happy with the new Doctor (on paper, anyway), it's the writing that could use new blood!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, August 09, 2013 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Not sure I agree with much he says, but the writing was definitely much better under Russell T. (I adore Russell T). The stories and humour and style are very British and not everyone gets that. And with characters like River Song it's clear they know what strong women characters are, even if they've chosen not to have a female doctor this time.

Women have strong lead roles in British dramas, Asian Brits have been well ensconced in respected roles in British drama for decades, it's not like it would have been groundbreaking to have the doctor be non-male or non-white, except in the Doctor Who universe. I just don't see it matters that much as long as the person who takes the role is perfect for it.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 9:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
If anyone didn't see Torchwood: Miracle Day because it was on Starz, it's going to start on BBC America soon, September 14th.

The next Doctors Revisited (Paul McGann) is on August 31st, followed by the tv movie he did. I'm quite excited to see that, I'm not sure if I've watched it.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 4:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
I found the movie very entertaining if not highbrow (since when is the doc EVER highbrow? Lol). Quite a bit of the doctor's back story is changed (I think) because they believed it would be the docs last appearance. I think McGann would have made a good tv doc. Since seeing the film I read an interview with Eric Roberts where he basically admitted to mailing it in for the pay check which ticked me off. Doctor deserves respect!!! Lol

Calamity

10-18-2001

Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
I don't remember what happened in the tv-movie, just that it involved the cloister bell, a motorcycle, and something to do with the millenium (remember looking forward to that?). I did like McGann as the Doctor.

Curlyq

07-10-2002

Monday, September 02, 2013 - 11:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Curlyq a private message Print Post    
I watched this movie expecting the worst based on what I'd read online about it. It was actually much better than I thought it would be. It probably didn't please the UK audience that the cast was mostly American. I liked the reaction from the Doctor when the woman told the cop he's British. The actor was a good choice. It's a shame he didn't get to play the Doctor a bit longer. My only complaint was the cheesy music throughout (opera notwithstanding). At first I thought it was an early eighties movie just based on the score.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 7:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Same here, I was expecting bad and was pleasantly surprised. I had to only half listen to the first half hour though (the interview part) as it gave the entire plot away!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 2:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
50 doctors

New tribute video for the 50th anniversary episode here:
http://tvline.com/2013/10/19/doctor-who-50th-anniversary-special-trailer-photo/

Also The 10th Doctor Revisited (featuring the lovely David Tennant) is on Sunday October 27th.

The 50th Anniversary Special will be on Saturday November 23rd.

I presume there will be a 11th Doctor Revisited between the two, or maybe it'll be later as Matt Smith leaves in the Christmas episode.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 1:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Get Excited, the First Trailer for Doctor Who's "The Day of the Doctor" Is Here! (VIDEO)

http://www.tv.com/shows/doctor-who-2005/community/post/doctor-who-day-of-the-doctor-trailer-138401995263/

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
With all the fuss over the new doctor I completely forgot about John Hurt!!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 5:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
David Tennant and Matt Smith together...be still my beating heart!

And yes KITT, I forgot about John Hurt too...

Hurry up Nov. 23rd...

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 10:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Finally got around to watching World War Z this weekend and I can't believe no-one had posted this before ...

In World War Z, Peter Capaldi is listed in the credits as.... W.H.O. Doctor!! (it's the little things that amuse me)

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 12:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I thought my TIVO scheduling was screwed up because that new episode (called "Day of the Doctor") is listed to air at 11:50 AM on Saturday, November 23.

We get the east coast feed of BBCAmerica here in SF, so everything on BBCA airs 3 hours earlier than the time announced in the promos. DW usually airs at 9:00 PM on Saturdays (EST)...so we always get it at 6 PM).

Anyhow, I checked BBCA's DW schedule online and sure enough, the first airing of "Day of the Doctor" is at 2:50 EST (11:50 AM here in SF). It re-airs at 7PM (EST) and 11PM (EST) later the same day.

The earlier air time does make it easier to catch it on a DVR than when it airs later and could conflict with other programming)

http://www.bbcamerica.com/doctor-who/schedule/

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 1:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
When they said they would simulcast it they meant it!! I assumed they meant same day, not same time! The BBCA show is only five minutes longer than the English show billing, which also suggests there might not be any adverts.

There are some specials that day too, don't miss them, plus they're marathoning the last season if anyone missed any episodes.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 1:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Glad you mentioned that Sanfran and Kitt, I'll have to check my DVR to make sure its scheduled. I do have Day of the Doctor written on my calendar, but no time for it!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 2:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
They've released a "mini-episode" featuring Paul McCann. Video in the link (which plays for me, even though it's a UK site):

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/watch-50th-mini-episode-the-night-of-the-doctor-55327.htm

It's a MUST SEE storywise!

Rissa

03-19-2006

Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 2:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the link!! Awesome to see Paul as the doctor again and tantalizing bit of story.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 4:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Thanks so much for that link Kitt! I am beyond excited about Nov. 23rd! I need to check my DVR and make sure it will tape.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 10:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Some more things to set to tape:

The Graham Norton Show has Matt Smith and David Tennant on it, BBCA 7/10pm Sat 23rd

The final Doctor Who Revisited, Eleventh Doctor Matt Smith, BBCA 5/8pm Sat 24th

Kellee

07-07-2004

Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 8:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kellee a private message Print Post    
I am not a huge Dr Who fan but my sister and husband are so very excited to go see the Day of the Doctor in 3D at the movie theater on the 25th! Our city is not big enough to be one of the live feeds but think we can stay away from spoilers for two days!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Our local one is on the 25th too... work day for hubby plus it involves waiting two days. And hubby can't see 3D. Would have been nice though, hope you enjoy it!

Kellee

07-07-2004

Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 10:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kellee a private message Print Post    
the two days gives me time to catch up having never really watched more than 2 episodes before yesterday , up to part way through season 2 now