TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 10, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Returned: The Returned - French Version (on Sundance): Archive through November 10, 2013 users admin

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 10:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Did anybody else catch this on Thursday night? I don't normally watch things on Sundance, but one of my favorite TV critics (Tim Goodman, formerly with the SF Chronicle, now with the Hollywood Reporter) said it was not to miss. His exact words, "Whatever you do, don't miss "The Returned" on Sundance Channel starting Thursday. It's been described, often, as a French zombie series. It's not. Not really. It's nothing like The Walking Dead -- which I love. No, this is a really beautiful, weird, unsettling and riveting take on the genre that avoids gore (though there is some violence) for an existential (it's French!) look at living and dying. I couldn't stop watching."

It was intriguing. It's in French, so you have to read subtitles, which I've gotten used to doing with a lot of my shows anyway since I'm having trouble understanding a lot of the actors these days (what's with the mumbling of the lines anyway?!). It was strange and disturbing. I can't stop thinking about it and looking forward to the next episode.

Anyone???

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/returned-tv-review-651271

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 12:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Yes, I have been talking about it in the premieres thread. I loved it. I loved it so much I ended up downloading it and watching the whole season 1 in two days. Once I started, I couldn't stop.

I know some people would be turned off by subtitles, but this isn't a chatty show. The dialogue is short and to the point. Plus, it's just so darn good that it's worth it.

Nyheat

08-09-2006

Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 4:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyheat a private message Print Post    
I want to see it--is it a reoccurring series or a one-off? I fell asleep before catching it the other night.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 4:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Season 1 consists of 8 weekly one hour episodes. Episode 1 was last Thursday.

It originally aired in France in 2012. Season 2 starts in France in 2014.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 8:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Nyheat, I was just thinking how important ep 1 is to this show, so I checked for you and ep 1 is free in itunes. But it's also all over the internet at all the download and streaming places we aren't supposed to post here.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 2:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Yay! I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't stop thinking about this show. As someone who's lost a lot of family members over the years, I've always had dreams of people coming back. Sometimes I was angry at them ("How could you let us all think you were dead?") and others I was so happy to see them, but afraid they would go away again. I can't even imagine experiencing the loss of a child.

I think this is more than a TV show. It really makes you think about life and death, and how closely interwoven they are (one of my favorite expressions is, "None of us is getting out of here alive").

The most disturbing part (for me) of the first episode was the girl who got murdered in the tunnel. That was brutal. I think he is supposed to be a serial killer who came back from the dead?

Why is all this happening? Also since I took French in school, it's a chance to brush up my Francais a bit.

Nyheat

08-09-2006

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 5:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyheat a private message Print Post    
Thanks Naja--I'll see if I can download it, Sundance would probably just rerun it or have on demand but not yet. Thanks again!

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 6:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Babyjaxmom, I'm still in the process of trying to figure out how to participate in this thread since I already watched the whole first season. So I am just going to look at your questions as rhetorical and not answer....LOL

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 8:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 8:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
There's one thing I have to say....As normal as these "returned" look, sound, and act.... they are still zombies. Now I'll zip my trap

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 10:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I know. People don't just come back from the dead. Don't hurt yourself biting your tongue, Naja!

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 11:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Babyjaxmom says: Don't hurt yourself biting your tongue, Naja!

I almost bit it off. I want to yell about how cool this show is, but I can't say why and blow it.

Please everyone, just watch it.

Windowbox

05-10-2011

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 11:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Windowbox a private message Print Post    
I have missed the beginning of the show, but I have the next episode ready to record. How do I catch up on previous episodes?

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, November 04, 2013 - 12:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Window, There is only 1 previous episode, aired on Halloween.

Ep 1 is free in itunes, but if you don't use itunes, do a google search for "watch The Returned online", and you can watch from the first result from the list.

Nyheat

08-09-2006

Monday, November 04, 2013 - 5:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyheat a private message Print Post    
I watched it for free on iTunes, thanks for the tip, Naja. :-) It reminded me of other sleepy mountain town films like Sweet Hereafter or Top of the Lake, which I like. The creepiness is rolling in like a slow fog, which is kind of the pace so far. Will tune in again.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
The creepiness is rolling in like a slow fog . . .

Nice turn of phrase there, Nyheat!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 5:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I liked it a lot, lots of things happening that all seem intertwined.

I'm also very curious about the girl killed in the tunnel, I couldn't work out what the "returned" link to that situation was. I like the idea that the murderer has returned.

My only complaint... so many blondes it takes a while to remember which is which!

Windowbox

05-10-2011

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 11:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Windowbox a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Naja! I will check it out tomorrow!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, November 08, 2013 - 5:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Was there no show last night? My DVR didn't pick it up. I'm thinking maybe the first episode was a double one, since it focused on two people, Camille and Simon.

My friend just told me that ABC is doing a remake of this show starting in Jan. Wonder if it will be as good as the French version? There's also a book this is based on. Gonna have to check that out!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, November 08, 2013 - 6:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I was reading about this in Entertainment Weekly. I am going to have to sit down and watch this.

The ABC show is a version of a book that I recently read titled The Returned. It's not a remake of this show, same idea though.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, November 08, 2013 - 11:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I think it's important to note in this second episode that the little boy Victor jumped out a 4 story window and was just fine.

(Babyjax, yes there was a new ep last night)

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 9:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Ugh. My DVR didn't pick it up. Maybe I can get it from Amazon.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Okay, I went and watched the 2nd episode on iTunes. Stranger and stranger! For some reason this show makes me very hungry . . .

Nyheat

08-09-2006

Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 1:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyheat a private message Print Post    
It seems to go until 10:15, maybe that's why it didn't pick up.

I like it and continue to watch, but do wish it was On Demand.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 1:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I always end up setting it to record the later showing. There's too much primetime stuff that night for it to get the first showing.