TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 04, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Doctor Who/Torchwood: ARCHIVES: Archive through August 04, 2013 users admin

Calamity

10-18-2001

Friday, May 24, 2013 - 12:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Thanks, SFJF! I couldn't check that when I posted because I was on my phone and for some reason IMDB mobile isn't loading properly on it. Discovered that this past weekend when I tried to look up if/how John Hurt was listed in the credits for DW.

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
I'm slowly making my way through Season 1 - I just watched Ep8 Father's Day. After the initial "what the heck" and a few "really?"'s during a few episodes I've enjoyed them. I'm ready to watch more so that's a good sign. So far 'Dalek' and 'Father's Day' have stayed with me, made me think more than the others and wonder 'what if'.

Thanks for the help in getting started and for knowing what to look forward to!

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 3:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I finally watched the last two episodes and all I could say was What!? What!? What!? rewound and repeated what?!

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 4:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
Has anyone been watching the specials about the previous Doctors? They do them monthly, this past weekend was Peter Davidson (?was that his name) and then they showed "Earthshock" which was a 2 part episode that was the "return of the Cybermen" and the first time (spoiler alert) a companion died. During the special recent Doctor Who artists remarked how watching that episode affected them (most were children at the time).
Pretty interesting to watch these old episodes. The sets and special effects are pretty cheesy but the stories would hold up if done today.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 5:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I watch the special section but not the episodes, they're too long. If anyone wondered why the sets and effects now (the new episodes, 2005 onwards) are so cheesy it's because cheesy is what makes Doctor Who, it just wouldn't be the same if the effects were movie quality.

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 7:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
Wow...Bravo! I just watched The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances (from Season 1-reboot)....awesome, creepy, excellent - great! Loved those episodes!

Lyn

08-07-2002

Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 10:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lyn a private message Print Post    
'Doctor Who': Matt Smith leaving show at Christmas

This makes me sad

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 11:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I wonder if John Hurt will be the New Doctor Who for all of next season (and possibly several more)...

Until I heard the news that Matt Smith was leaving, I had just assumed that Mr Hurt was one of the good doctor's past incarnations but now I wonder if he is to be the next next new Doctor. After all, we did first see him inside Doctor Who's time stream which included all the past Doctors, so it's only logical to assume that his future incarnation was in there, too.

So far, I have adapted fairly quickly and easily to each new Doctor, but I've only been watching DW since the 2005 reboot which means I've only seen him regenerate twice...for a grand total of just three doctors - Ecclestone, Tenant, and Smith. It might take a little getting used to having an older Doctor...but John Hurt is a great actor so I'd be fine with it.

Of course, for all we know John Hurt may only be a guest star for an episode or two and he may not remain as the new doctor for very long. Time will tell (pun intended, of course)

Reenie

06-24-2006

Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 5:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I am not ready for Matt Smith to leave...

But then I wasn't ready for David Tennant to leave either...

So, I'll just have to go with the flow, that's the Whovian way!

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
If Hurt is the 12th, it will bring it full circle back to older men as The Doctor. Any chance a woman might assume the role or is The Doctor always suppose to be male?
On the other hand, we haven't had "just" a male companion since the reboot. If there was a man, he was always part of a couple - so always a woman. Back in the old version there were times only a male companion...just saying....love watching the history each month.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 5:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I wonder if Matt Smith will regenerate during the Christmas episode... I don't think they've filmed it yet but unless the writers knew this was coming (which I guess they did, there's been talk for a while) it would involve major rewrites.

I don't think John Hurt will be the new Doctor, he's 73 and being the doctor for several series is quite a tall order, it's such a big "thing" in the UK. I think he will be an ex-Doctor/timelord and his story will be played out in the special.

There's been a lot of speculation about the next Doctor being female. I know it can't happen but River Song would make an amazing doctor, you need someone strong like that.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 10:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I don't think John Hurt will be the new Doctor, he's 73 and being the doctor for several series is quite a tall order"

Yes, but in 2005 Christopher Ecclestone was the Doctor for just a single season.

"There's been a lot of speculation about the next Doctor being female."

When I read that, my first thought was CLARA! After all, she is the "impossible girl". She did enter the Doctor's time stream and she did keep popping up in different time periods during season 7 and the Doctor couldn't explain why she was able to live throughout history like that....could that maybe add up to Clara somehow becoming the next Doctor?

Then again, maybe not. I love to theorize, even though I'm wrong more often than not! :-)

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Monday, June 03, 2013 - 9:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
Humans (or humans with TARDIS in them) can't magically germinate into being the next Doctor. The Doctor regenerates into a completely new "shell".

Curlyq

07-10-2002

Monday, June 03, 2013 - 10:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Curlyq a private message Print Post    
River Song kind of felt like a female Doctor. She seemed to know more about the Tardis than he did, even though he was supposed to be the one who taught her. She seemed to know everything. And then there was briefly the "Doctor Donna." So I guess a female Doctor could be cool, but I'm still not sure I'd like that.

I am kind of hoping the next Doctor will be at least a little older. I had a really hard time accepting Matt Smith in the role, although I know he did his best and many enjoy him.

I've been watching the specials about the past Doctors including the old episodes, and I also caught "The Five Doctors" online. I like the original Master. It seemed like the Doctor got younger with each recast. I hope they'll keep Clara around for the transition from one Doctor to the next. I don't like when they change Doctors and companions at the same time. Too much change.

I still have a feeling John Hurt is the one who destroyed Gallifrey in the Time War. I've been rewatching some of the old episodes like "The End of Time" and "Journey's End" as well as this season's finale. The Doctor is called all kinds of names by Davros, the Daleks, and The Great Intelligence in these episodes. For example the Oncoming Storm, Butcher of Billions, Destroyer of Worlds, Slaughterer of Ten Billion, Vessel of the Final Darkness. I suspect we'll be taken to the Time War so we can see what happened to earn him this reputation.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 12:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Humans (or humans with TARDIS in them) can't magically germinate into being the next Doctor. The Doctor regenerates into a completely new "shell"."

If you are referring to Clara, the question is: is Clara truly "human"? The Doctor calls her the "impossible girl". She shows up as different people in different time periods (something that regular humans cannot do) and even the good Doctor cannot explain how she does it.

Curlyq

07-10-2002

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 7:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Curlyq a private message Print Post    
I thought Clara appearing in different times was explained by River in this last episode. Stepping into his timeline or whatever that stringy light thing was shattered her into a million "echoes" of herself that appeared at different moments in his life.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 7:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I'm just theorizing.... On Doctor, anything can happen! :-)

I did learn something in the newest TV Guide...it said:

"CHEERS to Doctor Who for a tantalizing cliffhanger. The finale's last shot introduced the great British actor, John Hurt (The Elephant Man) as another mysterious incarnation of the Doctor. He'll be back - as will Matt Smith's Eleventh Doctor - when the BBC America series returns in November. We can't wait to find out who the hell he is!"

------

So that seems to answer one question....John Hurt will not be the next doctor if both he AND the eleventh Doctor will be back in November!

Kitt

09-06-2000

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The thing is the Doctor regenerates so the physical person that is the current Doctor changes into a physical person who is the next Doctor. Any other clever way round it, like for example having Matt Smith die-dead-gone and not regenerate and having John Hurt take over is not the next incarnation of the Doctor, it's a different person who takes over the duties of the Doctor but isn't the Doctor.

I think it has to be someone new.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 9:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The next Doctor Who Revisited is on this Saturday, a bit early, I think it's 4pm on mine. I think this one is Sylvester McCoy.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 7:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
They're revealing who the next doctor will be live tomorrow night in the UK, and it's being simulcast on BBCAmerica!

The half hour show is at 2pm Eastern (11am Pacific if you get the East Coast feed) and it's followed by the talk part of each of the Doctor Who Revisiteds so far, and then the hour long show about the companions (also a repeat).

Reenie

06-24-2006

Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Thanks for all the above info! My DVR doesn't pick up any of the special shows for whatever reason...so I just went and set it all up to start recording these specials. YAY

Roteach

06-01-2003

Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Dang, I'm going to be out when the announcement is made. I will have to remember to go to BBC America's site when I get home. I am pretty sure that they will put the announcement up there also.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 11:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
They're really milking it in the live show!

Peter Davidson (5th Doctor)'s daughter is married to David Tennant (10th Doctor)! Who knew? (Actually it does ring a bell...)

Mark Smith looks relatively normally with his new short hair.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Show's nearly over and they've left hardly any room for the announcement.

Stephen Moffat says they'd had the idea of this person being Doctor Who for a while, it flitted through his mind the last time they needed a new Doctor.

And the 12th Doctor is...

Peter Capaldi

(Another Scottish guy, 50ish, was in Torchwood, Children of Earth and has been in a lot of BBC dramas.)

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 11:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0134922/

(Peter Capaldi's page)