TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 03, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Under the Dome: Under the Dome - Includes References to Book: Archive through July 03, 2013 users admin

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Repeats Sunday night Hiyall.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 9:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I'm not a great fan of Stephen King, the only reason I watched is because Steven Spielberg was one of the producers and may have made it more sci-fi than horror, well, combining these two plus special effects got me interested. I just hope it doesn't remain limited to the town under the dome, those on the outside and their reaction to it and speculations and they'll do to solve the puzzle and if it's man made or alien. In sci-fi a dome is usually to protect earth from gamma rays or to preserve whatever is left of earth, but here it sure has a sinister aspect and surely got my attention!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, July 01, 2013 - 2:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Cablejockey, it was a hedgehog, not a deer. I just read the book a few weeks ago, cause I wanted to prepare myself for the series.

I'm kind of glad they're changing it up a little from the book. I don't like to know exactly what's going to happen. I'm wondering if Barbie is on some kind of undercover operation and that's why he was burying Dr. Shumway? He was a good guy in the book, so I'm hoping he's still a good guy in the series.

I know why somebody's stockpiling all the propane, but I can't tell you. Bwahahahahahah!!!!!

Noellepv

03-04-2010

Monday, July 01, 2013 - 3:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Noellepv a private message Print Post    
Damn, I want to know why they are stockpiling BJM. Loving this show but wondering if I should get the book and read it while it's being shown.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, July 01, 2013 - 5:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I know too :P Well if they follow the book, I know.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, July 01, 2013 - 9:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
It's been a long time since I read the book, so I don't remember all the details. I read a letter Stephen King wrote to his fans about the show. He said it will be different from the book, and that's a good thing. I think he said even the ending may be different, hopefully because it will be renewed and last longer. I can ccp if it's all right. But I'm enjoying it regardless.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, July 01, 2013 - 10:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm enjoying it as well but I have to keep reminding myself that it is different than the book and is going to be different than the book. Some things I like (certain characters seem more well rounded and not totally good or evil) but it's a bit of an adjustment watching it.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 9:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I like the characters and how things are playing out. The actor playing Barbie is very good, as is the guy doing 'Big Jim". I cant wait to see what happens next. The special effects are pretty good with the dome. Felt bad for the guy who is the sheriff--Duke--and how he died(which was the same as the book). He was the pilot in Lost--he doesnt seem to last very long in a series--lol.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 10:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
So the question everyone, or those like me who can't understand what the heck is going on, was asking, who shot the police officer at the end of the episode, clearly it wasn't the lunatic who by then was disarmed, and how could they aim exactly at the heart, like the previous dead officer, although at first I thought it was the pacemaker gone nuts. So, there are at least 2 or 3 killings per episode, at this rate the whole town will be decimated.
I was a bit embarrassed when noticing trees feeling the breeze, it should be totally windless, thank goodness the scene was very brief and you can get now a sense of the place getting hotter, at least they should start showing effects on people from their changing environment. UNLESS, the dome is equipped with a recycling atmosphere that makes it feel totally natural.
Possibilities are endless and I hope they don't get stuck on the same point, horror.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm not sure how good the perspective is when they show pictures of it but it is a very large dome with some airflow (it's not impervious to air).

The police officer at the end was randomly hit by a bullet fired by the crazy police officer that ricocheted off of the dome.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
Spunky, I thought the "lunatic" officer had shot at the dome and the bullet ricocheted off it and hit the other officer in the chest. Just a guess?

When that one young guy put his hand up on the dome when the other side was hitting it with water, his hand got wet. This makes me think that maybe the dome is also permeable to the atmosphere, allowing the smoke to leave and fresh air to enter. Again, just a guess?

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
That's what I got from it. The bullet ricocheted and the dome, as the kid said, is like a sieve.

What I laughed at was how from a distance, the one guy saw the plume of smoke coming off the house. Yet, when they first showed up, the house was on fire, but no smoke was coming off the top of it. Just a bit of a filming continuity issue there.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
I really REALLY want to complain about the way a very important aspect of the dome is being portrayed but won't in case I am wrong. In the book it is a MAJOR reason the story goes in the direction it does.

Doesn't it stand to reason that if huge water droplets can squeeze btn the molecules of the dome than air can too? And sound?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 2:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I think the way they are portraying it in the TV show (and in the book as well) is porous things can pass slowly through the dome. Or maybe some things can pass through and some can't. It all depends on how the dome works.

Mamabatsy

08-05-2005

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 4:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamabatsy a private message Print Post    
Never read the book, but if water and air can get through the dome, why can't sound? It seems to me that sound would make it through before water.

People who have read the book: can the people on the outside see into the dome? I've wondered why they haven't been writing messages to those inside. Or why those inside haven't written questions to the outside.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 4:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Yes they can see in, in the book.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 10:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Would it be possible to create a companion thread for book/series comparisons? I haven't read the book and don't really want to know what's the same or different....especially if I decide to read the book later.

I think some of those who have read the book would probably like more freedom to discuss the differences between the book/series, too.

The tip toeing around the comparisons are just inadvertent spoilers waiting to happen....like reading that in the book they tried to dig under it before that was shown in the series.

Marebear

09-27-2002

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 5:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marebear a private message Print Post    
I have read the book, and there are so many differences that it doesn't even seem like the same story a lot of the time.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 6:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I thing we can all pretty much agree that in general any book is better than the movie that was made from it.

Jewels

09-22-2000

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 6:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jewels a private message Print Post    
I agree with Sanfran and have been thinking the same thing. :-)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 6:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Sure. We don't want to spoil anyone by mistake. :-)

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 9:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
People who have read the book: can the people on the outside see into the dome? I've wondered why they haven't been writing messages to those inside. Or why those inside haven't written questions to the outside.

Mamabatsy, in the first TV episode, Barbie wrote a note to the firemen outside. The firemen seemed to read it and understand. When asked what he wrote, Barbie said, "call the FAA"

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 9:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
It doesn't bother me, but that's because I'm a person who usually reads the end of the book before I get there anyway...LOL!

The young female sheriff and her firefighter fiance clearly saw one another through the dome - the touched hands to either side.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 10:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Yes it's obvious on the TV show that the Dome is transparent. They even show it that way.

Mamabatsy

08-05-2005

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamabatsy a private message Print Post    
Next question:

Why aren't they writing more notes? I would think they'd be using up all the paper in town communicating with the outside world.