TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 26, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Under the Dome: Under the Dome - Includes References to Book: Archive through June 26, 2013 users admin

Jewels

09-22-2000

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 7:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jewels a private message Print Post    
The commercials for this show were on for SOOOOO many months that I felt that everything they showed last night, I had already seen!

Lorry

08-05-2007

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 8:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lorry a private message Print Post    
I don't know if I like it or not. I didn't read the book, so I can't make any comparisons there. I was just getting too confused with all the characters. They introduced too many at one time.
I just hope it's not going to be fast and you miss things. I like to understand the characters, not just the plot. I'm a writer,by profession, so I guess that's where it comes from. I'm very character driven.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 8:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Hated the sliced cow business. Can't rewind my brain and get that horrible image out of my mind. While I admire Stephen King as a person, his stuff is generally just too grisley for me. And the young, whackadoodle psycho is, um, not my cup of escapist entertainment. The ONLY story I am slightly interested in following up on is the guy who buried the doctor and the doctor's wife.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
OH another thing I'm curious about is why those two kids both had seizures and were saying something about something falling. I wonder why that happened.

I haven't read the SK book of this story but have read many of his books in my past, his writing isn't really my cup of tea anymore. That said, I could totally feel SK in this first hour of the show, he writes very complex and always has one 'crazy' person and is usually on the gross side. I will check this show out a few more times but one thing I found frustrating with SK books is he in many cases never gave an ending, so all those many hours spent reading his books left me empty and unfullfilled at the end. I'm hoping they actually give an ending at the end of the season.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 9:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Oh yeah Miz, that's right, I caught that bit where both youngsters were frothing and mumbling about 'stars' etc. And I did find that a bit fascinating. Just doubt I will stick for more than maybe one more ep.

Vickie

07-16-2004

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vickie a private message Print Post    
The reason Shawshank & Green mile were such excellent movies is because they were SK shorts. Also Stand by me can not forget that one!! I am hoping to watch under the dome soon.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Never read Shawshank but Green Mile was at least 500 pages!! (6 books of about 100 pages each) But, I know what you mean.. SK can get a little carried away with his filling in of the little details. Have to say though, that with this book, I found the many many MANY pages describing the instant the dome came down as fascinating. Was a little disapointed the show covered it in such short order.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The falling stars thing was spooky in the book as well.

I don't think I'm giving anything away by saying that the book had a definite ending.

The TV show is quite different from the book.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I actually liked the television mini-series of The Stand, although it didn't follow the book. But The Stand - it both of its incarnations (edited and writer's version) - is on my top 10 book list of all times.

It was kind of good in a weird kind of way too.

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 12:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
Roxip, I loved 'The Stand'. Read it several times, it's my all time favorite book.

Also really loved 'Under the Dome' but I've decided to DVR all the episodes and watch them in a marathon, since BB will suck all the oxygen out of my TV watching time!

I'm glad to see they made some changes from the book actually, since I want to be surprised!

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I think I've been thoroughly sucked in. I thought it was very interesting.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Roxip, I am with you on all counts. I loved the television adaptation and it was different but not too different from the book.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 9:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Horror and sci-fi all in one, not bad! I can only guess what a dome could do to a piece of earth, what's going to happen with rain??? Shouldn't they notice the lack of wind?? Beside the people being cut off from the rest of the world, the environment should be horrific under a dome, it's like a huge greenhouse and pretty soon they should feel like cooking. I hope the producers won't overlook this very important aspect. All that propane makes me think they want to blow up the hole town to make room for some kind of forbidden zone and their own experiments, but whose exactly? Who knows what?? The possibilities could be many. I just hope not to get too hooked on this show if it's going to be cancelled later on.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 10:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I'm not going to look too closely for mistakes...I'm just going to suspend disbelief and go with the flow.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 10:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Stephen King has your concerns covered Spunky. LOL

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 10:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
it can't be longer than a mini-series, because the book had a definitive ending.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 11:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Haven't read the book, just saw the first ep. Got me thinking though... why not just drill/dig a tunnel underneath and try to get to the other side. And yeah I know it probably goes a LOOOOOOOONG way down.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
LOL, Mame. I never thought of that, but neither has the town.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
It's 13 episodes long and has been referred to in several places as a "limited series". To me, that just sounds like a "long mini-series".

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
konashark says it has already deviated from the book. I said to him "can they dig under? have they tried?"
sounds to me like we may get more "limited series" as book adaptions (2-3 two-hour shows not enough time).

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 2:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
It's a force/energy field of a sort, not a solid object. When you dig down (and yes they tried that in the book), the force field just extends to fill the hole.

Y2krazy

09-17-2002

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 5:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Y2krazy a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Rissa. My DH mentioned digging a couple of times and he expects me to come up with theories...now I have one to give him!

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 6:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I really liked the first show. For some reason I thought this was only going to be on for 3 or 4 episodes, but I saw that its going to be on all summer!
I did read the book but there is a lot of detail I forgot! I'm pretty sure that the guy who buried the body in the woods, first appeared entirely somewhere in the town. Also there was a deer sliced when the wall came down, not a cow precisly cut in half--in the book. But I am going to concentrate on the tv version and try not to think of how it was in the book. They are going to have to really prolong the story to make it last all summer.

Hiyall

07-06-2005

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 6:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hiyall a private message Print Post    
DANG, I wanted to see this. Can anyone tell me when it started, have I missed a bunch?

Hiyall

07-06-2005

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 6:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hiyall a private message Print Post    
Nevermind, looked back and seen. I guess I've missed only 1 episode. :-)