TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 25, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Under the Dome: Under the Dome - Includes References to Book: Archive through June 25, 2013 users admin

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 3:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Starts tonight at 10:00 EDT on CBS. Based on the Stephen King novel. I thoroughly enjoyed the book so I'm looking forward to see how they do it on TV!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 3:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Oh Thanks for the reminder! I forgot!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 3:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I read a review over the weekend recommending the show, but it still sounds too scarey to me. I am waiting to see what you guys think.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 4:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I am not going to watch this.

Alwayzmovin

11-06-2003

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 4:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Alwayzmovin a private message Print Post    
It's one of my favorite SK books and have been counting down the days. I don't think it will be scary, Dipo.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed the book too. Wasn't a horror/scary and the secret of the dome is sorta a subplot to the main one which is along the lines of 'Lord of the Flies'. How do people react when they are left to create their own social structure under very stressful circumstances. Brings out the good in some, the bad (and very bad) in others. Very intense in parts and I am exited to see how they bring it all together for the small screen.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 5:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Good to know it's not that scary. I hate scary shows. I am very curious about this one, so will at least TRY to watch the premiere tonight.

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 5:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
Mame, Dipo, the novel wasn't Stephen King horror, more of a dramatic fiction. Nothing like IT, The Shining, Carrie, etc. I'm not expecting much from this, though. Usually King's works don't translate to film well (Green Mile & Shawshank Redemption being the exceptions imho.) Guess I'm hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 6:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I really liked the book. Didn't much care for the ending, but they had to explain it somehow. But I enjoyed it, and plan to watch the show. Actually, I am looking forward to it!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 6:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
The ending was standard King fare. I was hoping it wouldn't be but it was. I do want to watch the show though.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
It appears to be delayed here. Unless under the Dome means under the hockey dome. :-)

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Pretty good first episode. Don't know that they explained too much, but they have 12 more episodes for that.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 8:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Oh wrong channel. Long day. It is on. And I missed the beginning.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 8:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Okay, could have lived without the cow scene. YUCK!

Smokey

07-08-2003

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 9:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smokey a private message Print Post    
Oh rats, I meant to watch this or set it to record.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 9:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Bluejax, I really liked Shawshank Redemption. Anyhow I watched. Found my stress levels going up. Not sure this is for me...

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 11:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I'm hooked after one hour.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 24, 2013 - 11:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I just re-read the book and apparently they changed quite a bit and don't promise to have the same ending or even the same good and bad guys and they claim the town was re-set not to be in Maine because they wanted to add diversity. So I'm wondering how I'll like it. I recorded it (hopefully) but watched Bachelorette, which I could ff at times and tennis. But I will definitely watch.

In the BOOK, he had one of his terrifying evil lawmen but not sure how that will be playing in the tv version. Those people in his books scare me more than out and out monsters because those you see for what they are.. monster people in power, not always.

Somewhere online is an interview with the creators that gives this and more info.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 3:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Yes Sea, a lot seems different from the book. Maybe this is good... we won't know what will happen. King was really involved in this so am hopeful, first one was good. I thought Barbie would be a decade older and more weathered and Junior much more wiry and strung out. Will be interesting to see if the evil one is just taking his time airing his crazy. LOL

I agree about the ending but that's what I meant about the dome itself being a subplot. The drama is in the people. The secret of the dome was really anticlimatic and just thrown in to wrap things up. That's how I read it anyway and it's been quite awhile.

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 3:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
I had no idea what to expect, but I'm hooked! Lots of surprise moments. Lots of interesting characters. Lots of questions. Can't wait for the next episode. :-)

Also looking forward to reading the book once the show is done.

Redpen

07-24-2003

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 4:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Redpen a private message Print Post    
They're rerunning the first episode on Sunday night in case anyone missed it!

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 5:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
That guy with the girl at the beginning, the son of the father who made the radio announcement, he seemed nuts already before the dome happened.

I'm curious why that hot guy killed the doctor guy and buried him.

And lastly I'm curious why they were shipping all that propane into into town?!!

Good first episode!

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 6:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I never read the book, but I tuned in solely because I had read an excerpt from King's interview about the book, and it sounded interesting. Mainly because of the political undertones. Apparent he used the Bush/Cheney dynamic for the leaders of the town. (and not in a complementary way)

The excerpt from the interview can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Dome#Political_undertones

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 6:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I was really disappointed, but mainly, I think, because they changed the characters so much. And they've changed so much of the story, too.

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 6:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
Me, too, Scout. First they changed Barbie, then the quaking when the dome came down, and I turned the channel. Back to it after 20 minutes and Shumway's married. Too many different things made it hard for me to get into it. I'll just re-read the book. For the nth time.