TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 20, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: BBC TV Shows: Archive through May 20, 2013 users admin

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 1:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
If you are looking for stuff on DVD or netflix or itunes, etc I would also highly recommend Lost in Austin. Time travelling romantic comedy twist on Pride and Prejudice starring Jemima Rooper (LOVE HER!!), Hugh Bonneville (LOVE HIM!!), Alex Kingston (getting repetitive?), Gemma Arterton.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 2:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
Jasper, yes I also felt that Mary was different in the end. Unless William was doing something big and spectacular for Mary she wasn't loving to him. And anyway who the heck throws an engagement ring out the window...plain stupid.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Friday, January 04, 2013 - 6:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
I was able to find a rebroadcast of the Xmas Special for Call the Midwife in the tv schedule for this weekend.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, January 04, 2013 - 9:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Rissa, I have the Lost in Austen DVD. I really enjoyed it as well. More so on the second viewing as I didn't realize it was so long (3 hrs). I guess it was a 4 hr miniseries when it first aired on the BBC.

Another great one is 'North and South' with yummy Richard Armitage (of MI-5). It a Pride and Prejudice-esque drama set in an industrial mill town in northern England.

I need to put 'Call the Midwife' on my watchlist.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, January 04, 2013 - 2:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Ohhh, I am watching Richard Armitage in the Robin Hood series right now. Yummy is the perfect word. LOL

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, January 04, 2013 - 2:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
How do you add a picture while editting a post? I know how to do it while making an original posting but can't see the option at the 2nd go-round. Anyways, here is the *yummy* Richard Armitage:

Daydreamer

05-30-2008

Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 6:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Daydreamer a private message Print Post    
Rieann and Rissa, go to the movies right now, and see part I of "The Hobbit." Peter Armitage plays the Dwarf King.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 8:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
phew..since New Years day I have been watching the entire series The Tudors and I have finally finished.
Best soap opera that I have ever seen..lol. I loved many of the actors and was equally horrified at how families used their daughters to advance their fortunes often to disastrous effect. Henry VIII was a real cad!!! (but also mesmerizing to watch)

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 6:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
Really enjoyed the Xmas episode of Call the Midwife, I had tears in my eyes for most of it.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I just watched it on Saturday, it was really such a good show, uplifting despite the subject matter. I am going to have to look into reading the memoirs that the show is based on. (Jenny Lee looks so much like Anne Hathaway) I love Chummy and her husband, a good match).

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 12:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Have any of you watched 'Whitechapel' with Rupert Penry-Jones and Phil Davis? It took a while but seasons 2 and 3 are finally available through Amazon Instant video-free for Prime members. I enjoy the series. The writing isn't spectacular, as they stretch credulity at times, but I really enjoy the actors and the stories do keep you interested.

I just wanted to see if anyone else was as upset as I was at the season 3 ending. I don't want to spoil, but I'll just say I was surprised.

I read that they are currently filming a 4th season. Yay!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 12:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Oh, I'll add that season 2 of 'Vera' with Brenda Blethyn (love her) is now available too.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 2:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks Rieann, I love Brenda Blethyn! Didn't know she had a tv series. We have BBC Canada here, so I'll check it out if it's on there. Is VERA based on a film?

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 3:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
No, it's an original series I believe. Season 1 is also available on Netflix. She plays Detective Chief Inspector Vera Stanhope who is quite cantankerous yet lovable (at least for me). I believe the setting is Newcastle. Here is a synopsis from IMDb...

The central character is Detective Chief Inspector Vera Stanhope. Who is obsessive about her work and driven by her own demons. If she's lonely she doesn't show it and faces the world with caustic wit, guile and courage. Her trusted and long suffering colleague is Sergeant Joe Ashworth. Together they approach every new case with unparalleled gusto and professionalism.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1693592/

The actor who plays Joe is great as well. I don't recall seeing him in any other projects. If your a fan of hers I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 3:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I just read that the Vera character is in a series of novels by Ann Cleeves. :-)

Windowbox

05-10-2011

Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 11:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Windowbox a private message Print Post    
Has anyone else started watching Ripper Street? Very riveting and excellent acting. It is the story about the investigator for the Jack the Ripper case.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, January 28, 2013 - 4:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
I agree, Ripper street has been great so far.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 10:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I know this thread is for BBC shows, but I had to pop in and say I finally saw part I of 'The Hobbit'. I was drooling about Richard Armitage (a BBC fixture... MI-5, Robin Hood, etc) upthread in January. Daydreamer suggested seeing him as the Dwarf King, Thorin Oakenshield, in 'The Hobbit'. He was excellent in it and a sexy dwarf to boot! Yes, I'm a silly female.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 10:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I just re-read Windowbox's and Rissa's posts above... I need to get around to watching Ripper Street too!

Windowbox

05-10-2011

Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 10:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Windowbox a private message Print Post    
Rieann, I'll be interested in reading your thoughts about the show!

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 10:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
Does anyone know if William and Mary is coming back?

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Monday, May 20, 2013 - 11:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
Call the Midwife was so good last night! I was crying over poor Chummy and was praying that they didn't kill her off. I read that there will be another Christmas special and Season 3. The article stated that they have used all of the material that was in the memoirs and will create new storylines going forward.

I also enjoyed the Masterpiece Classic - Mr. Selfridge and am glad that it has been renewed for another season.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Monday, May 20, 2013 - 2:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
My DVR cut out at the end of Mr. Selfridge last night. Can anyone tell me what happened? The last I saw was when Mr. Selfridge was alone in the store at night and George Towler came by pushing the cart.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, May 20, 2013 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Irsnappy they cancelled William and Mary boo. No real wrap up to it either.

I haven't watched las nights Call the Midwife yet, was it the season ender? Short season. The are going to show it on Vision from the beginning, I'll probably rewatch it.

Sorry Merrysea, I haven't watched it yet but I did watch all the episodes except last night over this long weekend. It has been pretty good. Love me some Roddy Temple.

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Monday, May 20, 2013 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
Merry, Mr. S told George that he used to do George's job when he started out. George said he wanted to be like Mr. S who had everything (store & lovely family). Mr. S sadly said you don't want to be like me. They say goodnight and George tells him "home safe sir" and then Mr. S gets a determined look and walks out the door. Jeremy Piven says in The behind the scenes clip that season 2 will pick up 5 years later in 1914.