TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 20, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Mad Men: Archive through May 20, 2013 users admin

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 4:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
If having to add TWO QUARTS of motor oil every two weeks and an engine-knock sound that could wake the dead qualifies as running badly, then YES, the Vega ran SUPER-badly!

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 5:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
LOL. Oh, that sucks. Cars in the 70's-80's...ahh, memories. I always drove something that wasn't to be trusted.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, May 13, 2013 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Poor Pete Campbell -- confused mama crashing at his pied-a-terre. Guaranteed to cramp his style. Nice to see Creepy Don Draper end up as Dumped Don Draper. It's about time. Those scenes with his mistress were getting pretty boring.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, May 13, 2013 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
The scenes with Don's mistress were getting creepy! I'm glad she broke it off..

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Monday, May 13, 2013 - 9:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
I loved the fact of Don attempting to take total control in both personal (Sylvia) and professional (new business partner) lives, and eventually getting putting in his place by both.

Sylvia and Ted both finally get backbones: Sylvia when she says "time to go home" (to hubby) and Ted when he becomes the one in control as pilot of his private plane.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Monday, May 13, 2013 - 11:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
How did Pete's mother even find out where he was living when she is suffering from dementia and didnt even know her son and his wife have split up? It seemed so strange that she showed up like that.
That scene where Roger gleefully fired Burt was so mean. The last time he fired the guy his wife was suffering from cancer--I think she's dead now.
Funny how Peggy was trying to point out to Don his bad ways and all he could throw back was some slam about resigning. I dont think he ever got over Peggy leaving him. Now he has to deal with Sylvia going too--which I happy to see. The last thing Don needs is a sex slave!

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Monday, May 13, 2013 - 12:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
This episode was a complete downer.

Pete: dealing with dementia, Don: breaking up with a mistress, tuning out the wife, Peggy not happy with the merger, Don getting Ted drunk, Joan getting sick, Burt getting fired again, the whole thing just depressed the hell out of me.

And then, of course, the ending with RFK's assassination.

I was only 13 in 1968, and always knew it was a tough year, but geeze louise, Mad Men, ya made it even worse!

(I also don't understand how Pete's mother found his NYC apartment.)

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, May 13, 2013 - 1:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
This whole season has been a downer so far. They need to pick it up a bit.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, May 13, 2013 - 2:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Maybe that's the message Matt Weiner was trying to convey - an already downer year (MLK assassination) turned more intensely down with RFK's death.

I was 10 and lived less than a mile from where he got shot (Ambassador Hotel). My friends and I would frequently walk through the lobby of the Ambassador on our way home from elementary school just to make that walk less boring. After RFK's murder, of course, they barred anyone who wasn't a guest from entering the hotel.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 2:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
I don't know who thought making Don Draper into Christian Grey was a good idea. Yuk!

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 9:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
Re Pete's mother finding out about the NYC apartment:
She said she found the address written in a woman's hand, I think by her bedstand. I am guessing left by Pete's brother's wife, the one who got slapped and had enough of her mother-in-law and wanted to pass her on to someone else. Pete's Mom originally thought it was the address to a love nest of her husband. (Ironic that she was right about the love nest part.) Since she was in and out of lucidity (she did recognize that laundry and Pete's shaving stuff indicated he had split from Trudy), I imagine during a lucid moment she just handed the piece of paper to a cab driver and was on her way to break into the love nest.

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 9:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
PS I did think this episode had positives:
especially both Sylvia and Ted reclaiming their power and standing up to Don.
Also, Joan got sick, but I was so thankful we didn't end with her in a hospital bed, but back in charge at a meeting.

PPS I remember living through the Bobby Kennedy assassination and being both surprised and not surprised. At least I didn't have the state of shock I had when John F. Kennedy died. When JFK died, I think I lost some of my innocence; nothing since has been as shocking to me, which is just sad. Ever after, I knew that "it" could happen here.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 5:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Thanks Beth for that info on Pete's mother finding his apartment. I missed that whole scene!
When Joan got so sick, I started to think that maybe she too had cancer, considering its come up in a few cases on the show so far. So releived she hasnt. You never know who is going to die on this show.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 6:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Speaking of people dying on this show; are they ever going to talk about Lane's suicide? I imagine they will eventually as they'll need to change the name of the agency at some point, right?

Dahli

11-27-2000

Friday, May 17, 2013 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dahli a private message Print Post    
I certainly hope that Sylvia is staying around if for nothing more than to continually provide the stark contrast to Megan ... I enjoy Sylvia a lot. It would be nice to watch Don have to look but not touch for a change. Although I don't know why she didn't walk out on him after that ridiculous get my shoes command . That was nuts.

Riviere

09-09-2000

Friday, May 17, 2013 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
Didn't like Don treating mistress like a slave at all. From the "shut up" to "stay here" I wish she got the message to run away.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 10:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
What a bizarre episode tonight....I loved every second of it!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 10:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Me too. The "grandma thief" was a total classic!

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 10:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
I hated the way the police so quickly discounted Sally's wise phone call. Would they have done so then? Would they do so today? I would hope they would check it out in any case.

Willwillbee

09-20-2001

Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 11:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
re: Pete's mom - the episode recap says -

Pete’s brother, Bud, drops their mother off at Pete’s apartment then refuses to take her back to his home. Bud complains about Pete letting another financial firm handle SCDP’s public offering.

http://www.amctv.com/shows/mad-men/episodes/season-6/man-with-a-plan

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, May 20, 2013 - 5:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I'm not enjoying this season at all. I feel like it's a hot mess and I also feel like the only one who thinks so.

What were the shots? B12 plus speed? I actually did laugh when Cosgrove did the soft shoe while talking to Don with Dawn looking on in confusion.

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Monday, May 20, 2013 - 6:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
Gurlie, you're not alone. I've not wanted to admit it since I love this show so much, but this season has been either depressing, or disjointed - I'm having a hard time wondering where it's all going.

Maybe by the end of the season, a lot of it will make sense, that has happened with previous seasons, so I'm putting faith in Matt Weiner to not let us down!!

And, thanks Willwillbee, that solves 1 mystery!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, May 20, 2013 - 12:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
It looks like they based that shot-giving-doctor on a real person from that time. His name was Max Jacobsom (AKA Dr Feelgood). I remember hearing about the trend of celebs getting "special vitamin shots" back in the 60s.

Max Jacobson

Max Jacobson
Born July 3, 1900
Germany
Died December 1, 1979
Other names Dr. Feelgood
Occupation Physician
Known for Treating celebrity clients

Max Jacobson (July 3, 1900 – December 1, 1979) was a German-born[1] New York physician, nicknamed "Dr. Feelgood"[2] who administered amphetamines and other medications to several high profile clients including President John F. Kennedy.
Biography [edit]

After fleeing Berlin in 1936,[3][4] Jacobson set up an office on the Upper East Side of Manhattan where he treated a number of famous names including Marlene Dietrich, Anthony Quinn, Tennessee Williams, Truman Capote, Maya Deren, Eddie Fisher, Mickey Mantle, Cecil B. DeMille, Alan Jay Lerner, Yul Brynner, Nelson Rockefeller, and Zero Mostel.[5][6] Dubbed "Dr. Feelgood", Jacobson was known for his "miracle tissue regenerator" shots which consisted of amphetamines, vitamins, painkillers, and human placenta.[7]

John F. Kennedy first visited Jacobson in September 1960, shortly before the 1960 presidential election debates.[8] Jacobson was part of the Presidential entourage at the Vienna summit in 1961 where he administered injections to combat severe back pain. Some of the potential side effects included hyperactivity, impaired judgment, nervousness, and wild mood swings. Kennedy, however, was untroubled by FDA reports on the contents of Jacobson’s injections, proclaiming "I don’t care if it’s horse piss. It works."[9] Jacobson was used for the most severe bouts of back pain.[10] By May 1962, Jacobson had visited the White House to treat the President thirty-four times.[11][12]

By the late 1960s, Jacobson's behavior became increasingly erratic as his own amphetamine usage increased. He began working 24-hour days and was seeing up to 30 patients a day. In 1969, one of Jacobson's clients, former Presidential photographer Mark Shaw, died at the age of 47. An autopsy showed that Shaw had died of "acute and chronic intravenous amphetamine poisoning."[11] Under questioning Jacobson's staff admitted to buying large quantities of amphetamines to give many high level doses. The Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs seized Jacobson's supply and his medical license was revoked in 1975 by the New York State Board of Regents.[13]

Jacobson attempted to regain his license in 1979 but was denied. A state spokesmen stated that the then 79-year-old Jacobson didn't seem ready to enter into the "mainstream of practice" again. He died in December 1979.[11] A new book about Jacobson will be available in May of 2013 called "Dr. Feelgood," that is published by Skyhorse Publishing.

<snip>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Jacobson

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, May 20, 2013 - 12:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I've not wanted to admit it since I love this show so much, but this season has been either depressing, or disjointed - I'm having a hard time wondering where it's all going. "

Ultimately, I think they give us a huge foreshadowing hint at what is to come....every week during the opening credits we see Don Draper jump off a skyscraper. When the show started I used to wonder why, but now it seems to be reflective of the lives on that show as they succeed in attaining the American dream by getting everything they've ever wanted......except happiness.

Hskrfan

06-30-2011

Monday, May 20, 2013 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hskrfan a private message Print Post    
A "bad" season or episode of Mad Men is still better than any other show on TV in my opinion.