TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 20, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Hannibal (NBC): Archive through April 20, 2013 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, April 01, 2013 - 5:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
It starts April 4th, this Thursday! I am so hoping that for all of us Hannibal movie and novel fans that this can give us even a fraction of that enjoyment. Well, I mean a big fraction :-)

One of the most fascinating literary characters comes to life on television for the first time: psychiatrist-turned-serial-killer, Dr. Hannibal Lecter. In this new drama from Bryan Fuller ("Pushing Daisies," "Heroes"), based on the characters from Thomas Harris' classic novels, we see where this incredible story began.

Will Graham (Hugh Dancy, "The Big C") is a gifted criminal profiler who is on the hunt for a serial killer with the FBI. Graham's unique way of thinking gives him the astonishing ability to empathize with anyone - even psychopaths. He seems to know what makes them tick. But when the mind of the twisted killer he's pursuing is too complicated for even Will to comprehend, he enlists the help of Dr. Lecter, one of the premier psychiatric minds in the country. Armed with the uncanny expertise of the brilliant doctor, Will and Hannibal (known as a serial killer only to the audience) form a brilliant partnership and it seems there's no villain they can't catch. If Will only knew...

http://www.nbc.com/hannibal/

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, April 01, 2013 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
It looks good!

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, April 05, 2013 - 12:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I really enjoyed this show! I thought it would take a long time to get used to the actor playing Dr. Lecter, but he had me convinced before the show was over.

It's pretty disturbing, but I thought the only ep of "The Following" that I had seen was much more disturbing.

I bet the actor playing Agent Graham is exhausted after doing one of his scenes. I'm exhausted just watching him. His emotions look almost painful.

Anyway, I really like it (so far).

Holly

07-21-2001

Friday, April 05, 2013 - 12:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
I thought it was one of the most confusing shows ever. The whole premise wasn't explained well at all...and if the other killer (who got shot at the end after slitting his wife (?) and daughter's throats) was the one who removed the lungs from a victim, why was Hannibal preparing to cook and eat a pair of lungs? I thought it was a mixed up, hot mess. And I don't like the actor playing Hannibal at all. Weird speech pattern and not the slightest bit attractive in the face.

ETA: Just now received a new set of garden balls, Naja. They're super study too--must be a different manufacturer. Wheee.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Friday, April 05, 2013 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The other killer (the one who got shot at the end) did all the killings except the one that was out in the field on a stag head, with the lungs removed. That was Hannibal trying to help, I suppose, the main guy solve the case, plus getting some extra tasty lungs in the process .

Did anyone else think the "sausages" Lector brought the agent for breakfast might not be exactly kosher?

They are letting the Hannibal actor show his Danish accent, which is a strange choice as I think Lecter was American. He always plays a baddie, at least in the things I've seen him in.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, April 05, 2013 - 12:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I found it confusing and disturbing. I'm not sure I'll keep watching. I only have room in my head for a few "dark' shows.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, April 05, 2013 - 3:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I couldn't stomache (no pun intended) the movies, so I can't watch this either. I don't like disturbing tv shows just before going to bed.

Holly

07-21-2001

Friday, April 05, 2013 - 3:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Thanks for clarifying, Kitt. I still think it was a muddled mess and for the longest time I thought Hugh Dancy was also a serial killer too. He might even be for all I know. Is he supposed to have ESP or something or is he indeed an ex serial killer who can figure out what they do? A very badly explained show if ever there was one. It was all over the place.

Iluvreality

05-08-2011

Friday, April 05, 2013 - 4:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Iluvreality a private message Print Post    
Won't watch. Just another dark and disturbing show. I will get on my soapbox and just say there is way too much violence and especially violence toward women on tv. Criminal Minds always has some kind of serial killer that is torturing and killing women. Let's have more sitcoms or even nightime dramas that do not involve murders!

Kitt

09-06-2000

Friday, April 05, 2013 - 5:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Hugh Dancy is just an investigator, nothing bad in his closet... at least that we've seen. One of them (??Laurence Fishborne??) said that he had full empathy, and feels exactly what everyone (so that includes the victim and killer) feels, so that's why he can "relive" the killings so well. He also said he was at the "Asperger's end of the spectrum" and (from a quick reading of such things) recent articles have said that the old theory of Asperger's people lacking empathy was wrong and they've switched the theory to say that they actually have too much empathy, so I guess that's what they're trying to explore.

I feared he would be too manic and disorganised (I dropped Elementary because it was just too manic for me) but apart from the bit right at the beginning this episode was ok for me.

I know there's a lot of violence on tv, but hopefully this show will focus on psychology and working out whodunnit. I'm not going to judge it before giving it a try.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 05, 2013 - 6:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I sat there and didn't put it on the DVR.. for many of the reasons listed above. I'll keep Anthony Hopkins as my Hannibal and leave it at that. To many shows to watch anyway.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, April 05, 2013 - 8:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
LOL Kitt! They kept showing closeups of the eggs and sausages, so I figured for sure they were some kind of sausages made with human flesh.

And for sure you are right about Lecter committing the copycat murder to help Graham sove the case. Graham even said out loud that it was like he was being shown the photo negative so he could see the positive.

My instinct was to not trust Fishburne's character, but then I reminded myself that he is upstanding in the movies and books, so I would guess he is in the show.

Good luck with your new set of solar balls, Holly :-)

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
Once was enough for me, I won't watch it again.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 12:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
It's been a few days since I've watched it. I felt pretty strongly just after I watched it. I think my first thoughts were that it was really good, interesting, quite disturbing, and I'm not sure if I can watch it again.

I want to. I think it's very good. It really affected me, like an intense movie. But it grosses me out so much, I'm not sure I can keep watching it. (It's the whole food thing that bothers me so much. So much that it distracts me from the actual show.) I don't mind the killing/blood/gore as much at all, I'm a huge Dexter fan.

I found it distracting too that I worried and wondered about the dog Will found on the road. He was leashed. He must belong to someone, I hope Will doesn't just keep him without trying to find his owners. I'm sure the writers are not going to revisit that. I wish things like that would not distract me especially about fiction!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 12:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I know what you mean, Happymom! I always worry about the animals in a film or TV show. Always worried something will happen to them, to the point that it distracts me from the whole show.

DH says he "loved" this show (think he's just saying it to annoy me, cause he's a big Silence of the Lambs fan). I thought it was really disgusting and disturbing. I'm kind of sick of so many shows victimizing women. The part with the woman on the antlers was especially disturbing. He killed her just to make a point. Sick!!! I don't find it entertaining and won't be watching again.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 1:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I really like it.....gruesome but engaging with the interesting characters they have introduced. (I'm a big Silence of the Lambs fan, too!)

I agree that it's gruesome, especially considering the cannibalistic theme and all the meals we see Hannibal preparing, but I hope that doesn't turn everyone off so much it gets canceled.

Whatever else it may be, it's certainly engaging and better than most of the same old formulaic dramas out there.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 1:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The eating aspect is a bit hard to stomach (LOL) but overall there is some pretty weird stuff on TV (Criminal Minds anyone?) and it's a matter for me how well it is done and how engaging the characters are to make it worth watching. I'm curious about where they will go with this and how they will maintain some sort of ongoing story.

Angelicfairies2

07-18-2004

Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 4:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Angelicfairies2 a private message Print Post    
A repeat already or did I miss something?

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 5:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
They re-aired the Hannibal pilot on Wednesday (I think)..

Elizabeth116

11-26-2006

Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Elizabeth116 a private message Print Post    
There is a new episode on tonight at 10.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Friday, April 12, 2013 - 12:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
I like dark shows. Dexter, Criminal Minds, etc. This falls in line with those. I will be watching.

The scenes they show with Lecter eating are all suspect, but some are just normal scenes I think.

Also, in the books, Lecter was from eastern Europe, so it could be posited that he would have an accent.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Friday, April 12, 2013 - 1:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
I haven't watched last night's new episode yet, but I remembered that another reason I may not be able to hang in there with this show is because I found the Hannibal character very hard to understand. I don't like to have to rewind that much to catch what he's saying. It's not even his accent as much as he's kind of a low-talker.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, April 12, 2013 - 6:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I find Hugh Dancy very sexy in this role. There is something about the bags under his eyes and that rather dreamy look. I'm loving him.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Friday, April 12, 2013 - 7:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
Yeah, and he has those huge eyes, pools of emotion.

I watched the 2nd ep and while it was awfully gross, and not just the food scenes for sure, I wasn't as disturbed by the food as I was during (and after!) the 1st ep. Still pretty disturbed though, I don't trust anything Lechter serves. I'd say I'm at an 8 out of 10, whereas I was at about 9/9.5 during the first ep. I wouldn't mind being desensitized at all. I think it is a really well done and interesting show. Diabolically good writers. Great actors.

Now if I could just understand all of Lechter's dialogue. I did notice some of it was the accent this week.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
NBC pulls 'Hannibal' episode after Boston violence

LOS ANGELES (AP) — NBC said Friday that it's pulling an episode of its serial killer drama "Hannibal" out of sensitivity to recent violence, including the Boston bombings.

The episode that was to air next week features a character, played by guest star Molly Shannon, who brainwashes children to kill other children.

"Hannibal" executive producer Bryan Fuller asked NBC to pull the episode, citing the Newtown, Conn., school shooting in December and this week's Boston Marathon attack, NBC spokesman Stuart Levine said.
Fuller said Friday that he began talking with NBC executives several weeks ago about keeping the episode off the air. His concern was prompted by Newtown and reinforced by Monday's violence, he said.

<snip>

http://news.yahoo.com/nbc-pulls-hannibal-episode-boston-violence-000645537.html

------------

Bummer.....I would have loved to see the always-funny Molly Shannon playing a creepy character like that.