TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 08, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Mad Men: Archive through May 08, 2013 users admin

Calamity

10-18-2001

Thursday, April 25, 2013 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
I have no idea how far out or possible this may be but it caught my attention...

A Show About 1960s NASA From The Mad Men Team? We Hope The Rumor's True.
Popular Science
April 24, 2013

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Thursday, April 25, 2013 - 4:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
I heard the same thing, Calamity, and I hope it happens. They want to film in Cocoa Beach, 45 miles from my house!

Calamity

10-18-2001

Thursday, April 25, 2013 - 6:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
That's so cool, Rosem! Isn't Cocoa Beach where I Dream of Jeannie was set?

Hskrfan

06-30-2011

Monday, April 29, 2013 - 7:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hskrfan a private message Print Post    
Any thoughts on the show last night? When the guy screamed at the awards I couldnt understand, I listened 3 times (love the DVR)but I figured it out soon enough.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Monday, April 29, 2013 - 8:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I couldn't hear it either, but tptb didnt want anyone to hear about King's death until the awards were over!! It was nice to see Don offer Peggy a ride home.
I was surprised that Pete was so angry at Harry's attitude--he didnt seem that concerned for others before.
When Sylvia and Dr, Rosen wer waiting for the taxi and their trip to Washington, didn't mention something was a dream? Was it a reference to King's 'dream' speech?
Betsy's punishment of Bobby about tearing the wallpaper really brought to mind Joan Crawford in Mommy Dearest! And for everyone at Don's to enforce that punishment, was telling.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, April 29, 2013 - 8:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
To enforce what punishment? Did I miss something, because all I caught was that he couldn't watch any tv. If that's all it was, it's nothing close to Mommy Dearest. And Don didn't enforce it, he rewarded it. He took the kid to the movies. I say the kid got off pretty darn well.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Monday, April 29, 2013 - 8:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
I agree, my mother was like Mommy Dearest, I would have given anything to lose TV for one week, instead. I was shocked that Betty didn't go off on him, she seems to have very little patience with her kids.

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Monday, April 29, 2013 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
Calamity, I know that 'Jeannie' was set in Cocoa Beach, but I don't think they filmed it there, just used stock photos/video of the area for the opening, still cool tho!

I couldn't hear the shouter at the awards dinner either! Had to rewind a few times, still couldn't make it out!

I think that Pete was angry more about Trudy's rejection than MLK's assassination, and he took it out on Harry. I also don't remember Pete being a civil rights advocate either!

Don't know if I'd go as far as 'Mommie Dearest' but a whole week with no TV for tearing a bit of wallpaper seemed like the punishment didn't really fit the crime. I wish Betty would have talked to him about what he did, instead of just meting out punishment, but I grew up in the 60's and parents weren't much for talking to their kids.

Would it have killed them to give Dawn a few more lines in this episode? The way all the white folks were dealing with her was extremely awkward! I would have liked to have heard the perspective from HER! Missed opportunity, there, IMO.

I worry for Peggy, the way she looked when the BF talked about where their children would grow up, made me think that her goal was to be a stay at home mom, instead of the strong, independent woman that I want her to be!

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Monday, April 29, 2013 - 10:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I only mentioned Mommie Dearest because the woman who wrote the book said she got in so much trouble from Crawford when she pulled a piece of wallpaper off her bedroom wall!
Usually if a parent wont allow her child to watch tv its at home, not extending all the way into New York--even Sally gave her brother heck for watching the televsion that was on at their dad's. Also kudos to Meagan for taking such good care of Don's kids. I think thats really why he married her, because she showed them more love than he or his first wife.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, April 29, 2013 - 12:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I'd have gotten a ton of grief for pulling wallpaper off the wall. And it would have been worse than no TV. I also think that since they were at their father's house, that's "home" too and what one parent puts down as punishment should definitely carry over to the other parent's house.

I also was shocked at how calmly she handled it at first. She really didn't do anything right away.

But, it could be we were raised differently. Every family has their own way dealing with punishments.

Rslover

11-19-2002

Monday, April 29, 2013 - 10:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rslover a private message Print Post    
MAD MEN CAST ON KATIE COURIC

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - 7:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I saw them on Katie and it was interesting. Katie sure came across as a fan of the show! She even did a segment where she went to a real ad agency to work on ideas for a product!
All the women January, Christine and Jessica looked so much younger without the 60s makeup and clothes!

Calamity

10-18-2001

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - 11:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
*Averting eyes to avoid seeing recent posts*

Confession #1: I forgot about Mad Men this past Sunday.

Confession #2: I also forgot about it 2 weeks ago.

Which means of the four episodes that have aired so far this year (I think), I've only seen two. I'm wondering if that's a bad sign? Been watching since the first episode so I've learned to expect seasons to start slowly & build but...something isn't clicking for me, I guess. Not a complaint, not a whine, I'm not giving up on the show. It just seems not to have grabbed my full attention...

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - 1:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
You're forgiven Calamity. That has happened to me with many-a-show. Most recently Revenge, but I ended up deleting that season pass so be careful. You might end up realizing you don't need Mad Men. However, if it helps, this week's episode was much better than the first two. The first one this season almost made me pull the plug. But I kept going and it's getting it's groove back, just like every season.

Willwillbee

09-20-2001

Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 8:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
As Vicki would say, WOO HOO!! Loved tonight's episode! I was trying to remember Chevy's big counter to the Mustang & drew a blank. When they panned over the car at the headquarters, I thought oh my god, how could I have forgotten the Corvette!!!

So, did I understand correctly that they are all leaving NYC for Detroit?? Sounds like Peggy will welcome getting far away from that apartment & that life. I bet she doesn't make that mistake again. (Not that I see it as a mistake but definitely not what she wants.)

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Monday, May 06, 2013 - 5:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
It looks like Peggy is getting a crush on her boss! How is she going to feel working with old co workers again? How did Don make a merger without the other partners? And how was he allowed to dump the Jaguar account without input from the others?
Megan's mother is so awful! You can tell she doesnt really care for her daughter at all! I dont think Marie likes anybody but herself.
Roger really went out there to land an account. Pete just blew up his marriage again. Anyone else would have found a way to spin that info on his father in law into something useful.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, May 06, 2013 - 6:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Cable, I had the same thought about doing a merger without other partners. I feel like I missed an entire chunk of the show, but I was watching it real-time vs DVR so I couldn't have FF through anything. I understand the Jaguar thing, he just did that because he shoots from the hip, but the merger part confused me. I'll have to watch again tonight.

Pete's just gross. He's slimy in his delivery of EVERYTHING.

I'm glad Peggy bought a new apartment. Her boyfriend was standing his ground a bit too much. Yes, it's good to be with all kinds of people, but you can't justify living in the conditions they were living in when they had the means to buy something a bit better.

K2aggie77

10-12-2011

Monday, May 06, 2013 - 8:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send K2aggie77 a private message Print Post    
The Chev counter to the Mustang was the Camaro. The Corvette came out in the 50's.

Dahli

11-27-2000

Monday, May 06, 2013 - 3:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dahli a private message Print Post    
Yes camaro and my first beauty the Pontiac TransAm! I have heard that this might also be the chevy vega.... anyone else??

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, May 06, 2013 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
According to Chevrolet's Wiki page, the Vega didn't come out until 1971. This is 1967 and that's the year the Camaro came out. Pretty sure that's what it is.

Willwillbee

09-20-2001

Monday, May 06, 2013 - 9:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
Don & I had our heads filled with Corvettes & Camaros but ...

Alan Sepinwall wrote -

The merger had better be more valuable than the account that led to it, given that the XP-887 will (as my friend Phil pointed out to me) turn out to be the Vega, which was not only a lemon but a car that Chevy struggled to market.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-mad-men-for-immediate-release-mutually-assured-creation

History of the Chevrolet Vega -
In October 1968, GM chairman James Roche announced to the press that in two years, GM would build a subcompact car codenamed XP-887.
the Vega was introduced to the public in September 1970,
Vega's multimillion-dollar ad campaign

http://ateupwithmotor.com/compact-and-economy-cars/195-chevrolet-vega-cosworth.html

Chevy had an ad campaign going in advance of the Vega’s actual release date, extolling its high-tech alloys and other “delights”.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/beware-of-false-prophets-ironic-vega-engine-preview-ads/

This site has the actual ads run including -

"Twinkle twinkle, little car"

This ad feels a bit more Draper-esque in style, praising the car before its release in a vague yet "magical" way.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/leonoraepstein/mad-mens-chevy-vega-pitches-vs-what-actually-ran

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 6:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Very interesting! So it was an extremely early ad campaign. I guess they've been doing that to us longer than we thought. Kinda like seeing a preview at a movie theatre in February and then the screen says "CHRISTMAS 2013!"

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 11:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
As the UN-proud owner of a Chevy Vega, I can confirm it was one of the VERY WORST cars ever made. I bought a used '73 coupe and drove it from '74 to '76 before I finally got rid of it. If it had been safe to do so, I definitely would have worn a paper bag over my head while driving it.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 12:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Were the Pacer and the Vega basically the same car?

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Nevermind. I answered that myself via Google. Really the Vega wasn't a bad-looking car. Did it just run badly?

Now the Pacer...that was a horrid looking design.